CAR CREW Official Porsche Crew Thread

patina

Aug 6, 2005
NC
Since you’re in a spending mood, buddy has an 11 RS 4.0 with 1,600 miles he’s unloading for a mere 650k, I could probably get him to sell it for a STEAL at 6
Would much rather import a 996 RS and pocket 300k.

GonadWarrior

May 11, 2001
From that chart interesting to see 997.2 GT3 higher than 991.1 GT3.

Any reasons why?
Rod bolt "issues" aka, small percentage...but they offered those cars a 10yr/120k mi warranty and replacement should it fail. It's a great buy if you want to enjoy a car

Reactions: brianpsx

Charlie

omghi2u
OT Supporter
Jan 2, 2005
Atlanta
My step mom wants to gift my dad a 911 as a retirement gift. Musts are manual (his requirement) and airbags/modern safety (her requirement). What should they be looking at for $60-75k? 996's I'm guessing? He doesn't particularly care exactly which trim as it would be the nicest car he's ever owned by far. Do 997s have the IMS bearing problem or just 996s?

Last edited:

psykosis

Had dinner w/ Inspector Seb, we're basically bff's
Oct 31, 2001
Listing between sin and salvation
My rich ass step mom wants to gift my dad a 911 as a retirement gift. Musts are manual (his requirement) and airbags (her requirement). What should they be looking at for $60-75k? 996's I'm guessing? He doesn't particularly care exactly which trim as it would be the nicest car he's ever owned by far. Do 997s have the IMS bearing problem or just 996s?
That price should get him a very clean 996 C4S, or a higher mileage Turbo. Ho could also get a 997 Carrera S for that.

997.1 had the IMS issue, but much less than the 996. However, in the 997, the IMS was made to be non-serviceable, so updating it is a bigger deal. The 997 also suffered from bore scoring. All that being said, from the research I've done, is that both issues are sort of blown out of proportion by most people and are less of an issue than they are made out to be. If you want to be clear of the IMS issue, look for a 997.2, which never had an IMS issue.

And, most of this is off my memory from when I more seriously shopping for a 911, so I could be fuzzy or straight up wrong on any of this.

Charlie

omghi2u
OT Supporter
Jan 2, 2005
Atlanta
That price should get him a very clean 996 C4S, or a higher mileage Turbo. Ho could also get a 997 Carrera S for that.

997.1 had the IMS issue, but much less than the 996. However, in the 997, the IMS was made to be non-serviceable, so updating it is a bigger deal. The 997 also suffered from bore scoring. All that being said, from the research I've done, is that both issues are sort of blown out of proportion by most people and are less of an issue than they are made out to be. If you want to be clear of the IMS issue, look for a 997.2, which never had an IMS issue.

And, most of this is off my memory from when I more seriously shopping for a 911, so I could be fuzzy or straight up wrong on any of this.
Thanks I really appreciate it.

Epik High

OT Supporter
Mar 12, 2004
San Francisco

This is correct. IMS issue and bore scoring are blown way out of proportion. 2005 had the smaller IMS that you could retrofit (so buy one or plan to retrofit an LN Engineering IMS - probably $2k) and 2006-2008 had the larger one. My car has 82k miles and I haven’t had issues with either.

Don‘t let it dissuade your from getting a 997.1, they’re much cheaper than a 997.2 and sound better in stock form.

The ugly interior on 996’s just ruin it for me, couldn’t live with one. Also hate that There’s no rear quarter panel bulge. I love going over that rear quarter panel hump when washing my car. Like feelin a lady’s hips :naughty:

I don’t see why anyone would get a 996 (non turbo or GT) if they can afford a 997.1, but to each their own,

Reactions: DasVWBabe

Epik High

OT Supporter
Mar 12, 2004
San Francisco
It’s my friends but it’s fun to ride shotgun in lol

I’d usually drive his stuff but the higher sticker cars I don’t risk the liability

I have a friend with a 991GT3 RS who has been pleading me to drive it (his first 911, came from an AWD Audi TTRS) because he swears it understeers no much and isn’t setup correctly or his Pilotsport Cup 2’s are too old. I’m absolutely sure he’s used to powering through corners.

I can’t get myself to drive it for liability reasons, it’s a $250k car and my insurance property damage doesn’t go that high. The carbon hood alone is $40k!

Epik High

OT Supporter
Mar 12, 2004
San Francisco
Finally washed my car after 16 tracks days. At initial glance she looks in great shape…

KyA4lNm.jpg

…then you look closer and notice my hood/bumper has plenty of war wounds:

eT5RZkL.jpg

Someday I have to take the time to clay bar and remove the million rubber marks. Ordered some Mothers R8 rubber remover to hopefully make the process easier.

Unfortunately yes that’s a nasty mark on my hood that went through the clear bra, and clear coat. I don’t think I can get that fixed :(

• Love
Reactions: jeff2577

iLLt3ck

Aug 1, 2002
Pitted, so pitted
Finally washed my car after 16 tracks days. At initial glance she looks in great shape…

KyA4lNm.jpg

…then you look closer and notice my hood/bumper has plenty of war wounds:

eT5RZkL.jpg

Someday I have to take the time to clay bar and remove the million rubber marks. Ordered some Mothers R8 rubber remover to hopefully make the process easier.

Unfortunately yes that’s a nasty mark on my hood that went through the clear bra, and clear coat. I don’t think I can get that fixed :(
@Scottwax any recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marsillpost