CAR CREW Official Porsche Crew Thread

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
One year update!

I'm absolutely 100% still in love with this thing and it has basically become my daily driver at this point. 3 road trips (with a 4th coming up next month) and over eleven thousand nearly flawless miles. It's been a blast to drive, easy to own and work on (for the most part- I've developed a newfound hatred for nylock nuts).

mxZYcE4h.jpg

sFo0KUxh.jpg

dZuYjBPh.jpg

hSFAFYXh.jpg

dVptJBvh.jpg
Nice! What year is it?

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
Are you a big fan of Malort or does it have a different meaning for you? nice car btw

Thanks! Hahaha, I actually really like the stuff, but it's really a joke that spiraled completely out of control. My friends and I have a Gambler 500 team and for the last couple of years ran a Volvo S70 painted up in Martini livery but for fun we put Malort decals on it instead. The folks at Jeppson's found us on Instagram and "sponsored" us last year and this year. :rofl:

2021-04-03-102425086.jpg

Reactions: jeff2577 and GH0ST

GH0ST

OT Supporter
Jul 5, 2003
GA
Thanks! Hahaha, I actually really like the stuff, but it's really a joke that spiraled completely out of control. My friends and I have a Gambler 500 team and for the last couple of years ran a Volvo S70 painted up in Martini livery but for fun we put Malort decals on it instead. The folks at Jeppson's found us on Instagram and "sponsored" us last year and this year. :rofl:

View attachment 223794

That's pretty rad :coold:

Reactions: FryingPan

DasVWBabe

OT's Diamond and Gemstone Tutorial Creator
OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Frisconia
One year update!

I'm absolutely 100% still in love with this thing and it has basically become my daily driver at this point. 3 road trips (with a 4th coming up next month) and over eleven thousand nearly flawless miles. It's been a blast to drive, easy to own and work on (for the most part- I've developed a newfound hatred for nylock nuts).

mxZYcE4h.jpg

sFo0KUxh.jpg

dZuYjBPh.jpg

hSFAFYXh.jpg

dVptJBvh.jpg
Love everything about this! I can't believe how old your kids are getting! That picture of your daughter is a framer, for sure! :love:

• Love
Reactions: FryingPan

CitznFish

Don't live life by a single sentence
OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2002
SoCal
One year update!

mxZYcE4h.jpg

sFo0KUxh.jpg

dZuYjBPh.jpg

hSFAFYXh.jpg

dVptJBvh.jpg
Did you seriously get custom ates for malort liquor? 🤣😂

jrmcm

Cocaine and cocaine accessories
Oct 9, 2001
Plano, TX
I've been very curiously watching this auction. Car is local and I know the guy who built it.

4 days to go and already nearing $20K

8x9uFBD.jpeg

Reactions: JohnnyBeagle

Chicane

Ad Hoc
OT Supporter
May 4, 2001
West Virginia
Finally have something on brand to share in here.

Went to North Carolina over Memorial Day Weekend to pick up this strange unloved relic of the marque. It's going to spend part of the summer with me and I still have no idea what to think of it.

It belongs to my Sister and her Husband. They are not car people but last summer they moved from San Diego to Wilmington and, as empty nesters, decided to buy some fun stuff. He found a classic, Barrett Jackson level Chevrolet C20 truck to roll around in. She, well, she chose this.

8E7CA593-984D-4D38-A6D0-2DC3ED051DD6.JPG

They both failed to consult with me first. Well, in fairness, they asked if I knew what a 968 was. It was a text conversation, I answered a couple questions, I knew they were "looking" at cars. I told them both it was a relatively rare car made by Porsche and it was the end of the run for that platform. A "neat" car but somewhat unknown and unloved. I didn't tell them to not buy any car. I just didn't think they were at the ready.

The next week, they told me it was bought and on the way to their home. Bought sight unseen online only with a limited inspection by a Porsche dealer that was close to wherever the car was sold. I have zero details of that inspection, but apparently what my Sister and her Husband were told was sufficient for them.

It came the first week of January and since then, they have driven it 52 miles. I showed up a week ago to drive it 500 miles to my house. That was a bit of information they did not share until I was in the driveway. Also, they didn't share that the AC didn't appear to be working either.

IMG_3113.jpg

With limited time on the holiday weekend, and UNLIMITED holiday weekend traffic through North Carolina and up Interstate 77 into WV, my friend and I just checked fluids and got on the road.

Eight or ten miles into the drive, I was going through the myriad of buttons and controls, many without any label at all, and trying to figure out the climate control. Nothing worked UNTIL I bumped the ignition key with the back of my hand and the blower motor whizzed to live. Yes, the key when in accessory position has some sort of "short" and you occasionally need to wiggle it to get all the accessories to come to life. 490 miles to go.

The A/C began to blow cold. Well, 90 plus muggy NC degrees cool. It did the best it could but, damn, it gets hot down there.

The car was described to me as being showroom fresh with decent miles. While that's not a lie, it's a hell of a stretch. So much about the car is curious and raises questions. Far too many stories and questions to fully go into here, but suffice it to say, I don't know exactly what they bought, but it is going to require a bunch of little things to get anywhere near a fully sorted car.

The cluster indicates 67k miles and the Carfax for the VIN is clear. Minimal, if any, records came with it. The car is clean in places you don't expect and oddly dirty and uncared for in others. The paint is confusing. Mostly, it looks great, but the rear bumper cover is clearly a respray and doesn't match the rest of the car. In a few places the black rubber body trim is messy and in need of some attention. There isn't, however, a chip or scratch or anything wrong with the paint. Surely, there are horrors underneath to discover.

Principally, the trunk fits horribly and will not simply open with the top up. It interferes with the top and has to be pulled on and its opening negotiated. I hope that's just an adjustment of what is an aftermarket engineered panel. The panel alignment is evident in the photos and is worse in person.

Speaking of the gauge cluster, none of the illumination works, except for High Beam indicator. I tried in the tunnels separating WV/VA and nothing. Leaving NC every exterior light worked. Along the way, I lost two or three bulbs so that needs checking into. Also, the reverse lights are red as there are no white area of the lens.

IMG_3119.jpg

This was our first stop heading home. I found out later this is across the street from Johnson Lexus. That must be a huge dealership as they sponsor and/or advertise on every inch of highway all the way down to Wilmington.
The Supra owner in the picture was a great guy. He said he works at Johnson Lexus, I think in Finance/Insurance. His Supra was perfect and we talked for quite a while. With any luck, I'll see him at VIR sometime soon.

The white wheels. I come and go with those. Clearly they are a period thing, but I do kind of like them. The car is unbelievably tight and solid to be a cut chassis of a nearly 50 year old basic design. It really was a joy to drive home. Many curiosities and small issues aside, the engineering in the car is clear. While it sometimes smells like an old Volkswagen that got damp inside, it drives like a Porsche.

That engine is a lazy rev, but once built some trust that it wasn't going to immediately die, I would wind it from time to time and it does pull pretty damn well. Anyone young and accustomed to electronic throttle pedals and modern instant response will be bored to sleep by this lazy thing. The cruise control works with the speed of a bolt action rifle.

But, something to be said for a three litre four cylinder with crude variable camshaft timing. It's relatively quick on its feet but it takes work to drive.

The interior is the worst with some curious warped plastic panels (sun damage), a broken center console (they all do) and a dash pad in black that doesn't match the rest of the dash in blue.
There are at least three buttons in the dash with no writing or clue as to what they do. Oh, and a prior owner put God awful Lee Press On Dash covers on the plastic and they are atrocious.
I bet a complete "fix" of the interior plastics and such would be thousands of dollars. If the stuff was available.

Regardless, my Sister and her Husband, for many strange reasons, are on the way back to San Diego. The Wilmington house sold immediately (for a profit) and they are on the way now. Their other cars found a spot on a hauler but they couldn't get this one picked up in time. This is where I came in with my best friend being a factory Porsche mechanic here in town who has his own shop.

I'll get Pat to take a look at the car and get a verdict. It did the 500 miles home without issue. I'm hoping for the best, but this car has 30 years of stories to tell and I can't imagine that none of them are scary.

IMG_3136.jpg

TimzSI

#KeepFightingMichael
Oct 3, 2001
Zenadu

Went to North Carolina over Memorial Day Weekend to pick up this strange unloved relic of the marque. It's going to spend part of the summer with me and I still have no idea what to think of it.

It belongs to my Sister and her Husband. They are not car people but last summer they moved from San Diego to Wilmington and, as empty nesters, decided to buy some fun stuff. He found a classic, Barrett Jackson level Chevrolet C20 truck to roll around in. She, well, she chose this.

View attachment 227400

They both failed to consult with me first. Well, in fairness, they asked if I knew what a 968 was. It was a text conversation, I answered a couple questions, I knew they were "looking" at cars. I told them both it was a relatively rare car made by Porsche and it was the end of the run for that platform. A "neat" car but somewhat unknown and unloved. I didn't tell them to not buy any car. I just didn't think they were at the ready.

The next week, they told me it was bought and on the way to their home. Bought sight unseen online only with a limited inspection by a Porsche dealer that was close to wherever the car was sold. I have zero details of that inspection, but apparently what my Sister and her Husband were told was sufficient for them.

It came the first week of January and since then, they have driven it 52 miles. I showed up a week ago to drive it 500 miles to my house. That was a bit of information they did not share until I was in the driveway. Also, they didn't share that the AC didn't appear to be working either.

View attachment 227401

With limited time on the holiday weekend, and UNLIMITED holiday weekend traffic through North Carolina and up Interstate 77 into WV, my friend and I just checked fluids and got on the road.

Eight or ten miles into the drive, I was going through the myriad of buttons and controls, many without any label at all, and trying to figure out the climate control. Nothing worked UNTIL I bumped the ignition key with the back of my hand and the blower motor whizzed to live. Yes, the key when in accessory position has some sort of "short" and you occasionally need to wiggle it to get all the accessories to come to life. 490 miles to go.

The A/C began to blow cold. Well, 90 plus muggy NC degrees cool. It did the best it could but, damn, it gets hot down there.

The car was described to me as being showroom fresh with decent miles. While that's not a lie, it's a hell of a stretch. So much about the car is curious and raises questions. Far too many stories and questions to fully go into here, but suffice it to say, I don't know exactly what they bought, but it is going to require a bunch of little things to get anywhere near a fully sorted car.

The cluster indicates 67k miles and the Carfax for the VIN is clear. Minimal, if any, records came with it. The car is clean in places you don't expect and oddly dirty and uncared for in others. The paint is confusing. Mostly, it looks great, but the rear bumper cover is clearly a respray and doesn't match the rest of the car. In a few places the black rubber body trim is messy and in need of some attention. There isn't, however, a chip or scratch or anything wrong with the paint. Surely, there are horrors underneath to discover.

Principally, the trunk fits horribly and will not simply open with the top up. It interferes with the top and has to be pulled on and its opening negotiated. I hope that's just an adjustment of what is an aftermarket engineered panel. The panel alignment is evident in the photos and is worse in person.

Speaking of the gauge cluster, none of the illumination works, except for High Beam indicator. I tried in the tunnels separating WV/VA and nothing. Leaving NC every exterior light worked. Along the way, I lost two or three bulbs so that needs checking into. Also, the reverse lights are red as there are no white area of the lens.

View attachment 227402

This was our first stop heading home. I found out later this is across the street from Johnson Lexus. That must be a huge dealership as they sponsor and/or advertise on every inch of highway all the way down to Wilmington.
The Supra owner in the picture was a great guy. He said he works at Johnson Lexus, I think in Finance/Insurance. His Supra was perfect and we talked for quite a while. With any luck, I'll see him at VIR sometime soon.

The white wheels. I come and go with those. Clearly they are a period thing, but I do kind of like them. The car is unbelievably tight and solid to be a cut chassis of a nearly 50 year old basic design. It really was a joy to drive home. Many curiosities and small issues aside, the engineering in the car is clear. While it sometimes smells like an old Volkswagen that got damp inside, it drives like a Porsche.

That engine is a lazy rev, but once built some trust that it wasn't going to immediately die, I would wind it from time to time and it does pull pretty damn well. Anyone young and accustomed to electronic throttle pedals and modern instant response will be bored to sleep by this lazy thing. The cruise control works with the speed of a bolt action rifle.

But, something to be said for a three litre four cylinder with crude variable camshaft timing. It's relatively quick on its feet but it takes work to drive.

The interior is the worst with some curious warped plastic panels (sun damage), a broken center console (they all do) and a dash pad in black that doesn't match the rest of the dash in blue.
There are at least three buttons in the dash with no writing or clue as to what they do. Oh, and a prior owner put God awful Lee Press On Dash covers on the plastic and they are atrocious.
I bet a complete "fix" of the interior plastics and such would be thousands of dollars. If the stuff was available.

Regardless, my Sister and her Husband, for many strange reasons, are on the way back to San Diego. The Wilmington house sold immediately (for a profit) and they are on the way now. Their other cars found a spot on a hauler but they couldn't get this one picked up in time. This is where I came in with my best friend being a factory Porsche mechanic here in town who has his own shop.

I'll get Pat to take a look at the car and get a verdict. It did the 500 miles home without issue. I'm hoping for the best, but this car has 30 years of stories to tell and I can't imagine that none of them are scary.

View attachment 227403
Great story, very pretty car. I like it a lot

DasVWBabe

OT's Diamond and Gemstone Tutorial Creator
OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Frisconia

View attachment 227400

View attachment 227401

View attachment 227402

View attachment 227403
Finally got the chance to read this. I always wanted a 968 Cabriolet (riviera blue obvs) and almost had my hands on one before I found the 997. Excited to see the progress on this one! :love:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marsillpost