CAR CREW Official Porsche Crew Thread

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
So im going to orlando this weekend. Great opportunity to finally drive a 718 and see how it feels.

I had a Cayman rented, canceled due to a wreck. No Caymans left, had to book a regular Boxster. The guy canceled on me last night bc I think it was wrecked. But I managed to find a...
A 2019 Boxster GTS :tbow: Wish it was a manual and a Cayman....but I'm pretty fucking stoked about this shit! Not only do I get to experience a 718 to see how I like it, but I get to do it in GTS trim :bowdown:

I'm so used to driving Vettes and Fuck bodies, bigger V8 cars that a car thats more of an actual sports car will be interesting. I've thought my next car would be either a Cayman or 1LE.

Now just to refresh myself on how a mid engine drives, trail braking and those things so I dont also wreck it :mamoru:
Also try try to find a single decent driving road around Orlando :o :rofl:

JohnnyBeagle

Calcutta Viper
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2004
Digital Nomad
So im going to orlando this weekend. Great opportunity to finally drive a 718 and see how it feels.

I had a Cayman rented, canceled due to a wreck. No Caymans left, had to book a regular Boxster. The guy canceled on me last night bc I think it was wrecked. But I managed to find a...
A 2019 Boxster GTS :tbow: Wish it was a manual and a Cayman....but I'm pretty fucking stoked about this shit! Not only do I get to experience a 718 to see how I like it, but I get to do it in GTS trim :bowdown:

I'm so used to driving Vettes and Fuck bodies, bigger V8 cars that a car thats more of an actual sports car will be interesting. I've thought my next car would be either a Cayman or 1LE.

Now just to refresh myself on how a mid engine drives, trail braking and those things so I dont also wreck it :mamoru:
The boxster and Cayman drive basically the same. I like the boxster because top down is fun but visibility is better in the Cayman because you have the windows behind you and you can actually see behind you

2019 is still the 2.5L 4cyl right? It is a fantastic engine but haters don't like the sound. The power band is fun

patina

Aug 6, 2005
NC
man, never ceases to amaze me how much of an improvement the 944 gets with a wheel upgrade
Loved mine.

TyMKEwyh.jpg

jrmcm

Cocaine and cocaine accessories
Oct 9, 2001
Plano, TX
In other news, a French company (Nardone) is making a 928 restomod they plan to sell in 2024

5cdZotQ.png

yYQGCGS.jpeg

Vj3gUCa.png

eOE52wk.png

hp9XI1t.jpeg

If ever there was a car crying out for a no-expense spared resto-mod update, it’s the Porsche 928. And now thanks to Nardonne Automotive, we know exactly what that looks like, and will be able to buy the result in 2024.

Nardonne Automotive is a French startup and this Porsche 928 is its first project. Not that you’d guess. This car is so good you’d swear they’d been at it since the 928 was still on Porsche dealers’ shelves.

We’re not sure which model of 928 Nardonne is using as a donor (presumably its the S4), but visually it blends characteristics from various eras through the extensive used of carbon fiber. The huge rear fender flares nod to the run-out 928 GTS, but are far bigger, while the 18-in forged wheels are clearly inspired by the disc-style rims fitted to the 928 S2 and S4.

The front headlights get a four-prong graphic, like those on current Porsches, and are housed in cool open-structure pods, and the continuous beam of light visible across the rear of the car also tips a hat to the latest Stuttgart cars, while also recognizing that they pinched the idea from the 928 GTS in the first place.

Nardone says its 928 vision is powered by a naturally aspirated V8 enhanced with a modern engine control unit and capable of producing 395 hp (400 PS), which would make it 50 hp (50 PS) more powerful than the last of the original factory-built cars. The rear-mounted transmission also gets an upgrade from five to six gears and comes equipped with a limited slip differential, while the chassis benefits form bigger brakes, electronic damper control and electric power steering.

But it’s inside the cabin where some of the biggest changes are found. The dashboard gets a radical overhaul that changes the shape of the instrument binnacle and wraps almost every surface in Foglizzo leather or Alcantara. The exception is the brushed metal center console, which is home to a Porsche PCCM media system designed for older cars that brings quality sounds plus Apple CarPlay connectivity.

There’s no word on how much the 928 will cost but Nardone is currently showing the car at Milan Design Week this month, then taking it to the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK from June 23-26 to generate some orders. After that, it’s all hands on deck to get those cars ready for deliveries in 2024. Based on what we can see here, it’s going to be a busy 18 months.

Epik High

OT Supporter
Mar 12, 2004
San Francisco

A friend just traded his Civic Type R in for one. We are gonna run it at Sonoma.

From what I’ve read they are prone to lift oversteer big time and benefit greatly with some really sticky tires (like the ones I posted above).

I’ve held off from driving one for the longest time because I’m totally certain it will make me want one.

Reactions: JohnnyBeagle

kamen

OT Supporter
Sep 6, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Anyone have experience with 05 997.1's? An opportunity came up to get one with 39,000km on it. Very low mileage and right specs too with the 6spd manual. I've never owned a car older than a few years so I am not sure on this one.

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
In other news, a French company (Nardone) is making a 928 restomod they plan to sell in 2024

5cdZotQ.png

yYQGCGS.jpeg

Vj3gUCa.png

eOE52wk.png

hp9XI1t.jpeg

If ever there was a car crying out for a no-expense spared resto-mod update, it’s the Porsche 928. And now thanks to Nardonne Automotive, we know exactly what that looks like, and will be able to buy the result in 2024.

Nardonne Automotive is a French startup and this Porsche 928 is its first project. Not that you’d guess. This car is so good you’d swear they’d been at it since the 928 was still on Porsche dealers’ shelves.

We’re not sure which model of 928 Nardonne is using as a donor (presumably its the S4), but visually it blends characteristics from various eras through the extensive used of carbon fiber. The huge rear fender flares nod to the run-out 928 GTS, but are far bigger, while the 18-in forged wheels are clearly inspired by the disc-style rims fitted to the 928 S2 and S4.

The front headlights get a four-prong graphic, like those on current Porsches, and are housed in cool open-structure pods, and the continuous beam of light visible across the rear of the car also tips a hat to the latest Stuttgart cars, while also recognizing that they pinched the idea from the 928 GTS in the first place.

Nardone says its 928 vision is powered by a naturally aspirated V8 enhanced with a modern engine control unit and capable of producing 395 hp (400 PS), which would make it 50 hp (50 PS) more powerful than the last of the original factory-built cars. The rear-mounted transmission also gets an upgrade from five to six gears and comes equipped with a limited slip differential, while the chassis benefits form bigger brakes, electronic damper control and electric power steering.

But it’s inside the cabin where some of the biggest changes are found. The dashboard gets a radical overhaul that changes the shape of the instrument binnacle and wraps almost every surface in Foglizzo leather or Alcantara. The exception is the brushed metal center console, which is home to a Porsche PCCM media system designed for older cars that brings quality sounds plus Apple CarPlay connectivity.

There’s no word on how much the 928 will cost but Nardone is currently showing the car at Milan Design Week this month, then taking it to the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK from June 23-26 to generate some orders. After that, it’s all hands on deck to get those cars ready for deliveries in 2024. Based on what we can see here, it’s going to be a busy 18 months.

Looks straight out of Cyberpunk. I love it.

Reactions: onyourchin

DasVWBabe

OT's Diamond and Gemstone Tutorial Creator
OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Frisconia
Anyone have experience with 05 997.1's? An opportunity came up to get one with 39,000km on it. Very low mileage and right specs too with the 6spd manual. I've never owned a car older than a few years so I am not sure on this one.
Echoing @JohnnyBeagle - had an '07 Targa4s. They had their own potential issues with the roof, but get a PPI and enjoy the hell out of it. My only problem over 3+ years was a tiny leak in the IMS, and while we were in there, realized the clutch bearing needed replacing. I bought an aftermarket warranty so nearly everything was covered. Not sure what kind of warranty would be covered on a 17 year old car. Keep us posted! :x:

Reactions: JohnnyBeagle

Epik High

OT Supporter
Mar 12, 2004
San Francisco

i have an 06 with the larger IMS bearing. It was 87k miles and just started track duty a year and a half ago….25+ HPDE’s and no issues so far.

Would be ideal to retrofit the LN Engineering larger IMs bearing and look for AOS leaks. Otherwise it’s ready for full send

Reactions: kamen

2000GT

Jan 21, 2001
Looking to join this crew asap. Have some questions and looking for resident OT experts feedback. With my budget I am looking at an early model 991.1 (2013-2015) (Approx. 100k cad).

Would love a 4s (turbo is out of budget), but curious what OT thinks of 2s vs Carerra?
Any must have options?
Any must avoid years?
If I could find a 991.2 in that price range (doubtful), is it worth it?
I need to drive both transmissions to decide what I want. I haven't had a sports car since an e46 M3 and I loved the manual gearbox.

I'll probably put 3000-5000kms a year on it cause I really don't drive much. It'll be a weekend car for the most part, but I'll use it to go the gym and do errands when I don't bike commute.

This is also my midlife crisis.

Burmonster

OT Supporter
Jan 8, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Looking to join this crew asap. Have some questions and looking for resident OT experts feedback. With my budget I am looking at an early model 991.1 (2013-2015) (Approx. 100k cad).

Would love a 4s (turbo is out of budget), but curious what OT thinks of 2s vs Carerra? What do you plan do with it? If you are going with a 991.1 you are looking at larger displacement engine and different brakes. For 90% of the population a base Carrera is more than sufficient. That being said, if you are anything like me you will be left wanting "more". The 991.1 doesn't give you as easy access to "more" as the 991.2 (where tunes and new turbos give you more flexibility). 4S is wide body and since you are in the great white north might give you some flexability if you are going to throw winters on it and drive year round.
Any must have options? My vote would be sport chrono at least. Again, what do you plan on doing with it? If you are going with a 991.1 might want to look at the aftermarket options for apple carplay and/or android auto.
Any must avoid years? All years are pretty much bullet proof. Pick the year that fits your budget, option and styling needs/wants.
If I could find a 991.2 in that price range (doubtful), is it worth it? I have owned 991.1s and 991.2s (currently own a 991.2 C2S). The 991.2 has more low end power and more tunability. People will argue that the 991,1 is more purist with the NA engine. My opinion is I prefer the 991.2
I need to drive both transmissions to decide what I want. I haven't had a sports car since an e46 M3 and I loved the manual gearbox. Manual is great but carries a price premium and lower availability. Current car is PDK and am more than happy with it.

I'll probably put 3000-5000kms a year on it cause I really don't drive much. It'll be a weekend car for the most part, but I'll use it to go the gym and do errands when I don't bike commute.

This is also my midlife crisis.

Answers in bold above

Reactions: 2000GT

2000GT

Jan 21, 2001
Answers in bold above
Appreciate the details!
I like the wide body of the c4 but I feel like the c2 would be more fun to push hard so I’d go c2s
I love the widebody, and if I am being honest, I'd go c4s in a heartbeat. I don't think finding one in my price range will be easy or possible.

I'm glad carplay was brought up, cause its one of the things in the back of my mind that I know not having will annoy me. I'd like to understand the aftermarket options. I don't want to see wires hanging out of the centre console either.

Burmonster

OT Supporter
Jan 8, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Appreciate the details!

I love the widebody, and if I am being honest, I'd go c4s in a heartbeat. I don't think finding one in my price range will be easy or possible.

I'm glad carplay was brought up, cause its one of the things in the back of my mind that I know not having will annoy me. I'd like to understand the aftermarket options. I don't want to see wires hanging out of the centre console either.

If you want to kill a few hours, read through this

Reactions: 2000GT

kamen

OT Supporter
Sep 6, 2007
Vancouver, BC
the macan is a lot of fun :bowdown:

get a cobb tuner
Yes we had an 18 Macan GTS and that was my wife's favorite car until I traded it for a G wagon haha. I took the Macan for a Porsche event drive once and the GTS trim really reminded me of something fun with great driving dynamics while carrying some practicality to it. In the stage of life where a 911 wouldn't be the most useful car.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marsillpost