Oct 9, 2001
Plano, TX
Singer did a cab

atDZYWE.jpeg

QTLdQQq.jpeg

tF1WdPG.jpeg

McGarnigle

Dec 15, 2004
Joined this crew a couple of months ago. Found a CPO 2020 GT4 w/ 12k km's in Saskatoon. Buckets, 6 speed, iron brakes, and a bunch of bullshit that matters to rennlist. Incredible sports car. I resisted the Porsche hype as long as possible, but I relented, and it turns out that it's real.

Picked it up at the dealer, drove it to Vancouver, did the necessary alignment bits, pads and fluid, and went to Oregon Raceway Park. Never been to this track before, and wow. What a place. In the middle of nowhere but it's really special. Had a tutorial with the track manager, got comfortable after 2 sessions, and then went out for a ripper with the fast group. Quick lap below. My lines are a bit different from the other drivers, but I was just doing what the track manager told me. Also for some reason the trackaddict app data interprets a throttle lift or any deceleration as "brake", so that meter isn't accurate.

Also, there was a photographer there, so in addition to the on-track photos the evening we went and played around in the countryside. I just got these images, so yes I'll be buying non watermarked ones - this guy is a great photographer and is doing work with Nascar teams.

IMG-20220715-212827-995-Copy.jpg

Screenshot-20220708-223255-2-Copy.png

Screenshot-20220708-223443-2-Copy.png

Screenshot-20220816-221432-2-Copy.png

Screenshot-20220816-221700-2-Copy.png

I've subsequently now put about 9k km's in the past 2 months, mostly driving to racetracks (area 27, the ridge) and sunday drives. I'm totally sold on this car now. Porsche GT cars have really cracked the code. It's not just the journalists that say the right words...the cars are really quite special.

Epik High

OT Supporter
Mar 12, 2004
San Francisco
Joined this crew a couple of months ago. Found a CPO 2020 GT4 w/ 12k km's in Saskatoon. Buckets, 6 speed, iron brakes, and a bunch of bullshit that matters to rennlist. Incredible sports car. I resisted the Porsche hype as long as possible, but I relented, and it turns out that it's real.

Picked it up at the dealer, drove it to Vancouver, did the necessary alignment bits, pads and fluid, and went to Oregon Raceway Park. Never been to this track before, and wow. What a place. In the middle of nowhere but it's really special. Had a tutorial with the track manager, got comfortable after 2 sessions, and then went out for a ripper with the fast group. Quick lap below. My lines are a bit different from the other drivers, but I was just doing what the track manager told me. Also for some reason the trackaddict app data interprets a throttle lift or any deceleration as "brake", so that meter isn't accurate.

Also, there was a photographer there, so in addition to the on-track photos the evening we went and played around in the countryside. I just got these images, so yes I'll be buying non watermarked ones - this guy is a great photographer and is doing work with Nascar teams.

IMG-20220715-212827-995-Copy.jpg

Screenshot-20220708-223255-2-Copy.png

Screenshot-20220708-223443-2-Copy.png

Screenshot-20220816-221432-2-Copy.png

Screenshot-20220816-221700-2-Copy.png

I've subsequently now put about 9k km's in the past 2 months, mostly driving to racetracks (area 27, the ridge) and sunday drives. I'm totally sold on this car now. Porsche GT cars have really cracked the code. It's not just the journalists that say the right words...the cars are really quite special.

Nice!!!

I like how you taped the Bluetooth module onto the front windshield :rofl: . I’ve got mine velcroed on the rear windshield.

I think i want to try a helmet cam. Is it just a GoPro with some sort of helmet bracket? Can I overlay TrackAddict data to the video?

I wanna drive up to Portland International Raceway someday. Might as well try Oregon Raceway while I’m up there.

Reactions: JohnnyBeagle

McGarnigle

Dec 15, 2004
Nice!!!

I like how you taped the Bluetooth module onto the front windshield :rofl: . I’ve got mine velcroed on the rear windshield.

I think i want to try a helmet cam. Is it just a GoPro with some sort of helmet bracket? Can I overlay TrackAddict data to the video?

I wanna drive up to Portland International Raceway someday. Might as well try Oregon Raceway while I’m up there.
I've since learned that the right solution is to to zip tie the GPS to a radar detector mount. But...this velcro idea seems even better!

Yeah I just use one of the curved gopro mounts on the side of the helmet and connected a few of the extension arms together to hang the gopro upside down.

And HPTuners makes video editing software called RaceRender which is pretty good at overlaying the trackaddict data onto whatever video you use. It's not perfect, but after 10 minutes of screwing around it's pretty easy. I'm playing with the free version which forces the watermark and a maximum 3 minute video length. If you pay for the licence, you can do whatever you want.

I haven't been to PIR yet, but I think I'm going to avoid it for a while. Portland looks like a total nightmare. And ORP is awesome. I had similar end-of-day smiles that I had from Laguna Seca. PIR seems kinda sad compared to these places.

Leonard Washington

OT Supporter
Aug 15, 2004
My buddy imported a 996 gt3 clubsport from the UK and we’re going back and forth about what it would bring if he listed on BAT, there’s zero comparisons. 60k miles, (103k kms, gauges are km) lhd, has the clubsport seats, iris blue, unmodded

He says 90, I say it tips 100

CESCBOOM

Dec 20, 2003
$Texas
My buddy imported a 996 gt3 clubsport from the UK and we’re going back and forth about what it would bring if he listed on BAT, there’s zero comparisons. 60k miles, (103k kms, gauges are km) lhd, has the clubsport seats, iris blue, unmodded

He says 90, I say it tips 100
there's a RoW/Japanese import 996.1 GT3 currently on rennlist for $100k

Leonard Washington

OT Supporter
Aug 15, 2004

Wow this is awesome, I just sent it to him.

His is an 01, better color (imo),
Slightly less mileage but the main thing is that his can be registered in the US as it has been legally imported into Canada and registered and plated here. And since Canadian cars can be imported to the US…

patina

Aug 6, 2005
NC

No title.

patina

Aug 6, 2005
NC
Wow this is awesome, I just sent it to him.

His is an 01, better color (imo),
Slightly less mileage but the main thing is that his can be registered in the US as it has been legally imported into Canada and registered and plated here. And since Canadian cars can be imported to the US…
I believe technically it will have to wait until it’s 25-years old.

Reactions: jeff2577

patina

Aug 6, 2005
NC
Since we are on the topic - the 996 GT3 RS is the greatest 911 I’ve ever driven.

That (very limited) market will go white hot in 2029 or just before.

If I had the funds I’d buy a great example now and store it outside of the US.

Reactions: Lit Wick87

B-Line

*****d[-_-]b*****
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
Since we are on the topic - the 996 GT3 RS is the greatest 911 I’ve ever driven.

How much are they going for these days?
I don’t even remember those.

Leonard Washington

OT Supporter
Aug 15, 2004
I believe technically it will have to wait until it’s 25-years old.

Where it’s considered a Canadian car now, I believe it’s using a loophole and is no different than if I sold my f150 to a dealer down there.

I’ve only ever personally brought from the US to here, never the opposite way but this guy does well for himself and I don’t see him making a mistake like that. I could certainly be wrong tho

patina

Aug 6, 2005
NC
Where it’s considered a Canadian car now, I believe it’s using a loophole and is no different than if I sold my f150 to a dealer down there.

I’ve only ever personally brought from the US to here, never the opposite way but this guy does well for himself and I don’t see him making a mistake like that. I could certainly be wrong tho
I don’t think so. I’m pretty sure there is a roster system in place that mostly applies to newer vehicles.

TS
TS
thumpr

thumpr

someone you trust is one of us
OT Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
大阪, 日本

as far as watercooled 911s go, i don't think i've had more fun than the GT3 RS 4.0

i still prefer my 911s aircooled but that 4.0 was amaaaaaaaaazing

patina

Aug 6, 2005
NC
as far as watercooled 911s go, i don't think i've had more fun than the GT3 RS 4.0

i still prefer my 911s aircooled but that 4.0 was amaaaaaaaaazing
After driving both I’d rather have a 997 GT2 RS. And I’d still take the 996 RS over all of them.

GonadWarrior

May 11, 2001
After driving both I’d rather have a 997 GT2 RS. And I’d still take the 996 RS over all of them.
Considering that you've driven damn near every road legal Porsche there is - that's pretty impressive.
How's a 996 non RS vs RS compare? Taking rarity out of the equation

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
penska