TECH Official Shut Up and Take My Money Apple Thread - No RCS Here

SAKU39

OT Supporter
Mar 31, 2005
Does @Boots have some sort of alert that goes off when any sort of negative news about Apple comes up? I mean it’s entertaining for us but :o damn can’t imagine hating some tech company so much that it basically consumes my life and resorting to personal attacks to random people on a message board.

Like if Apple adopted RCS would he STFU? He would just find something else to harp on.

JohnnyBeagle

Calcutta Viper
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2004
Digital Nomad
He'd be here gloating that Apple realized he was right and added RCS support then berate apple for their implementation, delay in doing so, and then some other random slight like having to swipe to unlock from the lockscreen as evidence of iphones being the worst

Reactions: SAKU39

IG513

Formerly Anima
Oct 13, 2006
Cincinnati
Loving the 14pm in day to day usage. Not sure about the always on screen. Doesnt really do anything for me positively, and basically make the battery life identical to my 12pm that was at 87% capacity. So…. Maybe give it another day or two and that is getting shut off.

I will say - im not seeing anything major with the camera. 12pm was solid, so is this… and ive taken some great photos. Just not blown away. Maybe ill prove my self wrong. Not really a complaint or anything, just my reaction so far
Coming from a base 13, I agree with you. The always on display is a nice option but it doesn't really do anything for me aside from drain battery; I notice during the day it drains ~ 20 % of my 14 Pro Max battery on its own. The battery life overall is still a huge upgrade from my 13 but the always on doesn't really do anything for me.

JohnnyBeagle

Calcutta Viper
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2004
Digital Nomad
Coming from a base 13, I agree with you. The always on display is a nice option but it doesn't really do anything for me aside from drain battery; I notice during the day it drains ~ 20 % of my 14 Pro Max battery on its own. The battery life overall is still a huge upgrade from my 13 but the always on doesn't really do anything for me.
Does it do anything for you though?

SBrooks1

@ComicConScott
OT Supporter
Nov 28, 2002
Virginia
Goddamn you guys are too easy to get riled up 😂
giphy.gif

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California

This is an effort to stop the $1B+ black market for stolen iPhone components. It happens with some other devices, but iPhones are by far the most profitable product to target for this type of theft.

You know how people steal phones even though there's iCloud activation lock and shit like that? They don't care because they're harvesting components to resell.

There have been huge organized efforts to purchase phones en masse in Hong Kong, China, and some other countries, swap out the internals with fake or knock-off components, and return them for a refund. They then go and sell those components later. Apple caught onto this and started routing these phones that wouldn't power on to repair depots. The organized crime rings caught onto this and effectively ddos'd the repair depots by returning thousands of units at a time backing up the repair depots to the point where stores had to honor the refund because they couldn't wait for repair depots to confirm the authenticity of internal components in units that wouldn't power on.

Apple digitally signing every component to the phone is an effort to stop this (read: harvested components won't work, so their resale value goes to zero). Secondary benefit to it is to ensure that 3rd party bullshit components (especially poorly manufactured batteries) don't end up in peoples' phones and cause battery fires that then get blamed on Apple. I have literally no idea why Apple doesn't make this public since they know everyone thinks it's an anti-repair thing, which it's not.

Last edited:

El Beaner

Whale wrangler extraordinaire
OT Supporter
Jul 18, 2002
Dallas, TX
Phone left anchorage today. I assume it’s on its way to KY…

Probably not getting this thing this week am I??
Last week mine left AK on Wednesday got to ky Thursday and left ky to Texas and was here early enough to deliver that Friday. So there's a possibility

C.W.

OT Supporter
Jun 8, 2006
Dallas, TX
Really wanted a bigger watch so I was looking forward to the ultra but all reviews saying it’s the same size so disappointed. Guess ill have to wait for the 2023 ultra pro…

Mikel

HOT TASTE!
May 17, 2000
Really wanted a bigger watch so I was looking forward to the ultra but all reviews saying it’s the same size so disappointed. Guess ill have to wait for the 2023 ultra pro…
What? The ultra is larger in every respect vs the regular series 8

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamedali2022