TECH Official Shut Up and Take My Money Apple Thread - No RCS Here

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦
The sad part is that in that teardown video the phone seems incredibly well designed, modular and easy to repair but Apple went out of their way to use custom screws and software based part locking to make it more difficult.

Joe Pesci’s Shinebox

Go get your fuckin' shinebox
OT Supporter
Nov 30, 2004
The Great White North
Shop app ftw for tracking packages. Used it before Shop bought/renamed it.

giphy.gif

Joe Pesci’s Shinebox

Go get your fuckin' shinebox
OT Supporter
Nov 30, 2004
The Great White North
Really dampers excitement about new gadgets when you have to acknowledge that the company that's selling them to you is working as hard as they can to make sure you can't repair the product you purchased.

Maybe if you didn't buy poverty android hardware you wouldn't have to be so concerned with your shit breaking. :sadwavey:

• Haha
Reactions: Chuck Finley

spark plugs.

beautiful.
OT Supporter
Jul 26, 2004
qUEENZ, NY
Really dampers excitement about new gadgets when you have to acknowledge that the company that's selling them to you is working as hard as they can to make sure you can't repair the product you purchased.
I'm sure all new luxury car owners are crying themselves to sleep every night.

Mikel

HOT TASTE!
May 17, 2000
Some knobber working at the genius bar could replace a part in 20 minutes but apparently @Mikel isn't as qualified
They have a repair program where they will sell you genuine parts and even rent you the apple tools to do the repair. It's certainly not perfect, but they're doing better than most companies at self repair access.

Reactions: Boots

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦
They have a repair program where they will sell you genuine parts and even rent you the apple tools to do the repair. It's certainly not perfect, but they're doing better than most companies at self repair access.

Yeah luckily countries are starting to force these companies to stop this behaviour. EU seems to be ahead of the curve though. We're still pretty fucked here in North America. I was kind of hoping that 'Right to Repair' would get caught up in the fight to deal with climate change. An absolute fuck ton of things go straight to the landfill because companies design them to be unrepairable.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026