TECH Official Shut Up and Take My Money Apple Thread - No RCS Here

Rev. Johnny Vegas

In Flames We Trust
Jun 13, 2001
Forgot UPS wouldn't deliver my phone today without a failed attempt and a signature releasing liability blah blah. What's a guy to do so that UPS just leaves everything?
Nah, you need UPS in my area.

Delivering a $3k M1 Max MacBook Pro? No signature required and left on the doorstep.

Delivering a $59 iPhone 14 PM leather case? Signature required from a live person with only 1 redelivery attempt.

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
Ummmmm holy fucking shit the pro max absolutely takes a massive fucking shit all over the iPhone X camera
oh shit yes

Every single year the camera has gotten a pretty big upgrade. So far in my experience this has been the first year it hasn't in several years, sometime before the X. From what I remember the Xs Max was a bigger jump than this year

SAKU39

OT Supporter
Mar 31, 2005
Why? I think it's super cool that a couple of random devs were able to bring that feature to Android in a week. Speaks to how open and powerful the platform is.

You have some weird ass view of me in your mind that doesn't align with my actual thoughts at all :o
It’s super cool that they copied a feature that doesn’t really serve a purpose on Android devices? So the notch is cool now? This is the equivalent of putting a spoiler and a Type R sticker on a Honda Civic.

The whole purpose of Dynamic Island is to make the notch useful and I’d rather have the notch and Face ID over a completely clear screen and no Face ID. Fingerprint sensors are shitty.

Reactions: hootpie

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
I'm having a rocky time without a case so far since the phone is so much slicker than a case

Wearing gym shorts it falls out of my pocket in the gap between the seat and console and I have to spend a few mins trying to get it out....So far I mostly haven't been smart enough to remember to pull it out of my pocket before I sit down :rofl:

Often set the phone on my knee/thigh, cant do that anymore. I guess I need a mount for each car I drive

Won't stay put on the passenger seat where I can see it out of the corner of my eye anymore

At home we sit on a Lovesac (massive beanbag chair thats stupid expensive) which is really soft, phone won't stay still and ends up underneath me

{hydro}

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2005
Upstate CA
I'm having a rocky time without a case so far since the phone is so much slicker than a case

Wearing gym shorts it falls out of my pocket in the gap between the seat and console and I have to spend a few mins trying to get it out....So far I mostly haven't been smart enough to remember to pull it out of my pocket before I sit down :rofl:

Often set the phone on my knee/thigh, cant do that anymore. I guess I need a mount for each car I drive

Won't stay put on the passenger seat where I can see it out of the corner of my eye anymore

At home we sit on a Lovesac (massive beanbag chair thats stupid expensive) which is really soft, phone won't stay still and ends up underneath me
It took me so long to get use to it. Most drops are out of my pocket.

SkiMax

Dec 11, 2004
Chicago
So here’s a photo comparison of 2 really quick shots I took right after setting the phone up… amazing.

First one is from my X and the second is from the pro max. Both in portrait mode.

cD5JdCR.jpg

DKAb6BA.jpg

:eek3:

El Beaner

Whale wrangler extraordinaire
OT Supporter
Jul 18, 2002
Dallas, TX
Forgot UPS wouldn't deliver my phone today without a failed attempt and a signature releasing liability blah blah. What's a guy to do so that UPS just leaves everything?
I have authorized release on my UPS My choice and they still made me sign for the phone

• Sad
Reactions: Menger

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
What a clusterfuck. Dependent on multiple taiwanese companies with their manufacturing bases in China.
This is pretty much like 99% of the electronics industry. China also mines close to all the rare earth metals required for semiconductors.

If a war every broke out between the US and China we’d be almost completely screwed on the semi conductor front even if we had 100% manufacturing capability in the US.

wizurd

Ritardo 4 Prezident
OT Supporter
Mar 7, 2002
Las Vegas
So here’s a photo comparison of 2 really quick shots I took right after setting the phone up… amazing.

First one is from my X and the second is from the pro max. Both in portrait mode.

cD5JdCR.jpg

DKAb6BA.jpg

:eek3:

They are just so much better when it comes to distance from object and lighting.

I have really good photos I took with a 6S and really crappy photos I took with the 11 pro. The 13PM has basically corrected anything I could do wrong in a sense since I know as much about photography as @Boots knows about female anatomy.

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦
It’s super cool that they copied a feature that doesn’t really serve a purpose on Android devices? So the notch is cool now? This is the equivalent of putting a spoiler and a Type R sticker on a Honda Civic.

The whole purpose of Dynamic Island is to make the notch useful and I’d rather have the notch and Face ID over a completely clear screen and no Face ID. Fingerprint sensors are shitty.

Some Android devices have notches so it would serve that purpose on some devices. I have no use for it but I find it awesome as a developer that the platform makes it possible to recreate the feature. The same could not be said if the tables were turned.

Fingerprint sensors are fine. I prefer the back sensors to under the glass though. I still have miss hits now and then with the under the glass sensor on my Samsung. It's annoying. The best fingerprint experience I had was with the back sensor on the Pixel line. By the time you got the phone out of your pocket it was unlocked and at the home screen. Face ID is very slick but it's unfortunate you still have to use your finger after you unlock with Face ID. Seems to defeat the purpose of eliminating the fingerprint sensor if you still gotta swipe your finger to complete the unlock process imho.

N8

The red eyes are just allergies.
Dec 27, 2001
Canada
Some Android devices have notches so it would serve that purpose on some devices. I have no use for it but I find it awesome as a developer that the platform makes it possible to recreate the feature. The same could not be said if the tables were turned.

Fingerprint sensors are fine. I prefer the back sensors to under the glass though. I still have miss hits now and then with the under the glass sensor on my Samsung. It's annoying. The best fingerprint experience I had was with the back sensor on the Pixel line. By the time you got the phone out of your pocket it was unlocked and at the home screen. Face ID is very slick but it's unfortunate you still have to use your finger after you unlock with Face ID. Seems to defeat the purpose of eliminating the fingerprint sensor if you still gotta swipe your finger to complete the unlock process imho.

:mb:

I don't know why you are so hung up on having to swipe up from the lock screen. Many times I just want to look at the notifications, i'd rather not have it default to the home screen.

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦
:mb:

I don't know why you are so hung up on having to swipe up from the lock screen. Many times I just want to look at the notifications, i'd rather not have it default to the home screen.

Not everyone likes the same things and that's ok. That's why it's nice to be able to customize and tweak things to your liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

• About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
    OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
    Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
    Guests online
    Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jexic84026