TECH Official Shut Up and Take My Money Apple Thread - No RCS Here

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
I find this odd. The Galaxy is very competitive with the apple watch and beats it in a lot of categories. So would you prefer a Garmin over a non ultra watch? Because there's no way anyone should prefer the watch 8 over the watch 5 pro. The ultra has the edge because of the better gps and diving features but those are decently low on my priority list.

Edit* I'm guessing the last time you ever touched a Galaxy watch was back when they were tiezen or whatever it was called? It's a totally different experience now with wear os.
I've tested a ton of Samsung watches (and torn them all down) and was wildly unimpressed. I haven't tested the Watch 5 Pro yet, but I wouldn't hold my breath given what I've seen for the past decade.

SAKU39

OT Supporter
Mar 31, 2005
I find this odd. The Galaxy is very competitive with the apple watch and beats it in a lot of categories. So would you prefer a Garmin over a non ultra watch? Because there's no way anyone should prefer the watch 8 over the watch 5 pro. The ultra has the edge because of the better gps and diving features but those are decently low on my priority list.

Edit* I'm guessing the last time you ever touched a Galaxy watch was back when they were tiezen or whatever it was called? It's a totally different experience now with wear os.
I just never found the Galaxy watch to work seamlessly, have the perfect integration, and have the fit/finish of Apple. The same could be said for any Android product and that’s a big reason why Apple is so popular. Garmin is in a different category from both and for certain people it’s the better choice over both. I would still use a non ultra AW over a Garmin because for day to day use it’s better suited for what I need and the Tactix I had just couldn’t keep up to my use case when I’m in the field.

Yeah, most of my experience was with their Tizen models which were garbage :)o my initial comment was more so for the purpose of trolling a certain member). I’m glad yours works well for you though and that WearOS has improved the GW experience.

Anecdotal evidence. My wife hates wearing watches and she has a Rolex that has literally been worn once since she got it sitting in a safe. Bought her a S4 3 years ago and she has worn it every day because of the productivity and QOL improvements it gave her. :dunno: It’s not just her though, I know lots of other people who never wore watches but wear AW all the time now, I think that says something about the quality of what Apple has brought to the market. Look at how dominant Apple is on the market compared to Samsung and they give out Galaxy watches for free or at steep discounts all the time.

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
I've tested a ton of Samsung watches (and torn them all down) and was wildly unimpressed. I haven't tested the Watch 5 Pro yet, but I wouldn't hold my breath given what I've seen for the past decade.

I beat the fuck out my watch 4 and it's still going strong. Welding, mechanics, yard work, swimming, etc. When I was dealing with the water leak in my yard, I would be elbow deep in sandy/rocky/clay mud for an hour at a time. I'd take it in the shower with me and everything would still be perfect, including the mechanical bezel which blows my mind.

Reactions: SAKU39

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
I just never found the Galaxy watch to work seamlessly, have the perfect integration, and have the fit/finish of Apple. The same could be said for any Android product and that’s a big reason why Apple is so popular. Garmin is in a different category from both and for certain people it’s the better choice over both. I would still use a non ultra AW over a Garmin because for day to day use it’s better suited for what I need and the Tactix I had just couldn’t keep up to my use case when I’m in the field.

Yeah, most of my experience was with their Tizen models which were garbage :)o my initial comment was more so for the purpose of trolling a certain member). I’m glad yours works well for you though and that WearOS has improved the GW experience.

Anecdotal evidence. My wife hates wearing watches and she has a Rolex that has literally been worn once since she got it sitting in a safe. Bought her a S4 3 years ago and she has worn it every day because of the productivity and QOL improvements it gave her. :dunno: It’s not just her though, I know lots of other people who never wore watches but wear AW all the time now, I think that says something about the quality of what Apple has brought to the market. Look at how dominant Apple is on the market compared to Samsung and they give out Galaxy watches for free or at steep discounts all the time.

I agree with the qol improvements. Never had a smartwatch before the Galaxy 4 because all the android offerings were shit. The Galaxy 4 and 5 are basically the exact same thing as an apple watch in terms of the qol features. Apple was first the the party and Samsung/Google had pretty much given up until last year when they collaborated on wear os. I think that's a huge part of why apple watch is so dominant given the US % of apple vs android phones. I think the pixel watch, although likely not very special, will be huge for wear os and push wearable sales closer to that of the phones.

Reactions: SAKU39

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
I beat the fuck out my watch 4 and it's still going strong. Welding, mechanics, yard work, swimming, etc. When I was dealing with the water leak in my yard, I would be elbow deep in sandy/rocky/clay mud for an hour at a time. I'd take it in the shower with me and everything would still be perfect, including the mechanical bezel which blows my mind.
Maybe this analogy will help:

Imagine there's a restaurant which doesn't put a lot of effort into hygiene. They kinda make sure equipment is cleaned properly. They occasionally remind employees to wash their hands. They seem to put an effort into making sure their walk-in fridge is kept at the right temperature. They sometimes pay attention to cross-contamination.

Most people seem to be able to eat there without getting sick, but some people eat there and get sick, and some people eat there and get really sick.

Samsung = that restaurant.
You = customer that didn't get sick.

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
Maybe this analogy will help:

Imagine there's a restaurant which doesn't put a lot of effort into hygiene. They kinda make sure equipment is cleaned properly. They occasionally remind employees to wash their hands. They seem to put an effort into making sure their walk-in fridge is kept at the right temperature. They sometimes pay attention to cross-contamination.

Most people seem to be able to eat there without getting sick, but some people eat there and get sick, and some people eat there and get really sick.

Samsung = that restaurant.
You = customer that didn't get sick.

That's fine with me. I get that my experiences are anecdotal too. In my experience, the Galaxy watch 4 and 5 have been extremely durable and robust. The apple watch might have better engineering, but if it doesn't actually improve the durability for my use, then it doesn't make a difference for me.

I've seen you mention the phone engineering as well. Same goes for that. I can't remember the last time I had a hardware issue with a phone. Apple hardware might be engineered way better, but if the others aren't failing in the timeframe that I'm using them, then who cares.

My analogy would be engineering with cars, which I'm much more versed in. When people come to me asking what car they should buy, the first thing I always ask them is how long do they plan on keeping it. If only for a couple years/<100k miles, they basically can't go wrong with any offering out there. If they want to keep it for 10 years/300k miles, I tell them to get Toyota/Honda. Unlike cars, I don't keep phones for more than a year or two to take advantage of the superior engineering.

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
That's fine with me. I get that my experiences are anecdotal too. In my experience, the Galaxy watch 4 and 5 have been extremely durable and robust. The apple watch might have better engineering, but if it doesn't actually improve the durability for my use, then it doesn't make a difference for me.

I've seen you mention the phone engineering as well. Same goes for that. I can't remember the last time I had a hardware issue with a phone. Apple hardware might be engineered way better, but if the others aren't failing in the timeframe that I'm using them, then who cares.

My analogy would be engineering with cars, which I'm much more versed in. When people come to me asking what car they should buy, the first thing I always ask them is how long do they plan on keeping it. If only for a couple years/<100k miles, they basically can't go wrong with any offering out there. If they want to keep it for 10 years/300k miles, I tell them to get Toyota/Honda. Unlike cars, I don't keep phones for more than a year or two to take advantage of the superior engineering.
The worrisome thing with Samsung products is how many fail when brand new. I think it was you I was telling in another thread, but back in Galaxy S8 days over 10% of phones I tested failed IPX7 water-resistance tests out of the box (sample size was 200 iirc), which is insane. A further ~30% failed after very light reliability testing that would simulate 6 months of usage.

This has been a pattern I've noticed with all Samsung watches and phones I've tested. They're clearly not designing their products to be robust and they're either not testing 100% of their products prior to packaging+shipment (Apple does) or their designs are so poor that they don't survive transit conditions (e.g. shock & vibe, temperature cycling). We tore down a handful of Note 7's as soon as we got them and it was obvious they were going to have the battery issues they had.

Contrast that with Pixel phones (haven't tested their watches) which are almost up-to-par with Apple standards.

I get that if you're getting rid of it in 1-2 years who cares, but know that (at a minimum) your water-resistance is suspect when brand new and especially so after months of use.

SAKU39

OT Supporter
Mar 31, 2005
Can you elaborate on this? What couldn't a Tactix keep up with? :hmm:
Using earlier models of the Tactix. 3+ weeks in the field. 8-14 hour days of navigation and in the cold (Alaska) battery died quite quickly. Even with a battery pack when trying to make timings I didnt have the time to wait for it to charge. Foretrex I could just swap out with lithium ion AAA or the proprietary battery pack.

Reactions: Chuck Finley

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
The worrisome thing with Samsung products is how many fail when brand new. I think it was you I was telling in another thread, but back in Galaxy S8 days over 10% of phones I tested failed IPX7 water-resistance tests out of the box (sample size was 200 iirc), which is insane. A further ~30% failed after very light reliability testing that would simulate 6 months of usage.

This has been a pattern I've noticed with all Samsung watches and phones I've tested. They're clearly not designing their products to be robust and they're either not testing 100% of their products prior to packaging+shipment (Apple does) or their designs are so poor that they don't survive transit conditions (e.g. shock & vibe, temperature cycling). We tore down a handful of Note 7's as soon as we got them and it was obvious they were going to have the battery issues they had.

Contrast that with Pixel phones (haven't tested their watches) which are almost up-to-par with Apple standards.

I get that if you're getting rid of it in 1-2 years who cares, but know that (at a minimum) your water-resistance is suspect when brand new and especially so after months of use.

Definitely get it. Waterproofing for phones isn't really a big selling point for me. I don't take my phone near water as a general rule, no matter the rating.

I will say the GW4 waterproofing has been great for the year I've had it. We spent nearly every weekend this summer swimming in our 10' deep pool or the lake. Never took the watch off. We regularly spend 4+ hours in the pool only getting out for a few seconds to grab more beer. Anecdotal, but if it works for me, I can't complain.

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal

Chuck Finley

Florida Man | Infamous ROFL Spammer
Super Moderator
May 1, 2002
St Pete, FL
Using earlier models of the Tactix. 3+ weeks in the field. 8-14 hour days of navigation and in the cold (Alaska) battery died quite quickly. Even with a battery pack when trying to make timings I didnt have the time to wait for it to charge. Foretrex I could just swap out with lithium ion AAA or the proprietary battery pack.
Ohhh you mean actual field duty. :h5:

Reactions: AndyP and SAKU39

SkiMax

Dec 11, 2004
Chicago
Anyone ever buy a Peel case?? Looks nice and thin

Epik High

OT Supporter
Mar 12, 2004
San Francisco
How are you guys liking the new AirPods Pro 2’s? I have the originals, which I stopped using since I got the Beats Fit Pros which fit better, But thinking I want the Pro 2’s for the better ANC when I’m fucking your mom and she’s screaming.

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
Definitely get it. Waterproofing for phones isn't really a big selling point for me. I don't take my phone near water as a general rule, no matter the rating.

I will say the GW4 waterproofing has been great for the year I've had it. We spent nearly every weekend this summer swimming in our 10' deep pool or the lake. Never took the watch off. We regularly spend 4+ hours in the pool only getting out for a few seconds to grab more beer. Anecdotal, but if it works for me, I can't complain.
I talk about water-resistance because it's easy for non-experts to understand/relate to. What I'm saying applies to all of their internal (and some external) engineering.

Design decisions around bracketing things down, flexible printed circuit (FPC) routing, clearances around their batteries, antenna and antenna grounding strategy, assembly gaps to nearby components, etc..

I'd say in any given Samsung product 50% of their decisions have me and other engineers scratching our heads and we see a lot of failures (some being "silent failures" which aren't obvious to customers unless they're paying close attention) when putting their products through fairly standard reliability testing.

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
That's always been my impression....but like I said my brother's Pixel 5 went into thermal protection mode after 5 mins of video chatting. 5 Mins of it cooling off and then maybe 2 mins in on the next attempt until it shut down again. That phone came out the same time the iPhone 12 lineup did. Can you imagine a iPhone 12 Pro Max not being able to carry on a 5 minute FaceTime call?

My girls brother had a Pixel 4 and had lots of issues, I think with the battery and other stuff to the point he cant use it anymore. He's on a friends Pixel 2 now, which he has some issues with and hates, but it's good enough to get by until the 7 comes out.

I had a couple Nexus devices and have always been a vanilla android fan, but it seems like they arent as near Apple as some of us think. Especially in processor, heat management and battery issues it seems.

Rev. Johnny Vegas

The Decline of Western Civilization
Jun 13, 2001
I've used a bunch of Samsung watches as well and never been impressed with them. They've always had a build quality that makes them feel cheap (although they have gotten better recently), and it's never been as seamless as the Apple Watch experience has been.

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
That's always been my impression....but like I said my brother's Pixel 5 went into thermal protection mode after 5 mins of video chatting. 5 Mins of it cooling off and then maybe 2 mins in on the next attempt until it shut down again. That phone came out the same time the iPhone 12 lineup did. Can you imagine a iPhone 12 Pro Max not being able to carry on a 5 minute FaceTime call?

My girls brother had a Pixel 4 and had lots of issues, I think with the battery and other stuff to the point he cant use it anymore. He's on a friends Pixel 2 now, which he has some issues with and hates, but it's good enough to get by until the 7 comes out.

I had a couple Nexus devices and have always been a vanilla android fan, but it seems like they arent as near Apple as some of us think. Especially in processor, heat management and battery issues it seems.
You have to remember those are a few phones out of millions they've shipped. There could be any number of reasons they had those issues. They're not up-to-par, but they're closer than everyone else and it's not surprising because they have a ton of ex-Apple engineers.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman