GAME TECH Official Sony PlayStation 5 - PS5 Thread

Boing

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2007
Will be updating the first post with confirmed news, specs, etc.

4zXwwzV.png

mggz84rdpkn51.png

frXSwGL.png

• PULSE 3D™ wireless headset – offering 3D audio support and dual noise-cancelling microphones;
  • HD Camera – featuring dual 1080p lenses for gamers to broadcast themselves along with their epic gameplay moments;
  • Media Remote – a remote control with built-in microphone to navigate movies and streaming services with ease; and
  • DualSense™ Charging Station – for convenient charging of two DualSense™ Wireless Controllers.

The company revealed that there are two editions of the PlayStation 5 Console. The PS5 Standard with a disc tray, and the PlayStation 5 Digital Edition.

“With PlayStation 5, we are making a significant leap to deliver a truly new generation of transformative play experiences that will redefine expectations for what games can be,” said Jim Ryan, President and CEO of SIE. “Worlds will be richer and more beautiful, they’ll captivate your senses in ways you didn’t think possible, and you’ll be able to experience them much more seamlessly, with lightning fast loading. Today’s showcase is just a glimpse of what’s to come in the next generation, and we want to thank our community for taking this journey to PS5’s launch with us.”

49747503557_fa12f113db_h.jpg

49747502797_760388b9d5_h.jpg

49746632758_b638804711_h.jpg

ANNOUNCED SPECIFICATIONS

u6RQNKN.png

BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

UNREAL ENGINE 5

GAMES CONFIRMED

Godfall

Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Dirt 5

Outriders

GAMES RUMORED

Cyberpunk 2077

Last edited:

Hisma

OT Supporter
Apr 2, 2006
Reno, NV
will this kill pc gaming? It still takes over $2000 in hardware to run 4K on a PC at sorta-decent framerates at max settings. This thing claims to support 8K gaming...

Meat Popsicle

You're stewed, butt wad!
OT Supporter
Apr 26, 2002
The Middle
Custom ssd that's faster than what is available on PC? Custom gpu and CPU that isn't even available for PCs yet?
Sign me the fuck up, but how the hell is this thing going to cost under $1000?

TheEvil1

Hell is other people
OT Supporter
Jul 4, 2003
BFE NY
the next-gen console will support 8K graphics

with massive up-scaling

i dont care what type of custom hardware it has or how good the specific coding is we aint getting shit rendered in 8k

FFS i doubt it'll even do native 4k60. its simply not possiable inside the power and thermal footprint that consoles have to operate in

Reactions: amalgamas and Hisma

Meat Popsicle

You're stewed, butt wad!
OT Supporter
Apr 26, 2002
The Middle
with massive up-scaling

i dont care what type of custom hardware it has or how good the specific coding is we aint getting shit rendered in 8k

FFS i doubt it'll even do native 4k60. its simply not possiable inside the power and thermal footprint that consoles have to operate in
You can get 4k30 on a PS4 pro right now which is 3 years old, so I don't see how 4k60 isnt possible on custom CPU/gpu that isn't even out yet

KGB ate my bread

EVERYTHING IS FINE
OT Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Louisiana
We’re a ways away from this seeing a store shelf, but I’m going to speculate that AMD being used won’t help nvidia’s premium for ray tracing since developers will largely use the open source API that amd supports.

:cool:

Reactions: Meat Popsicle

TheEvil1

Hell is other people
OT Supporter
Jul 4, 2003
BFE NY
You can get 4k30 on a PS4 pro right now which is 3 years old, so I don't see how 4k60 isnt possible on custom CPU/gpu that isn't even out yet

its achieved through dynamic/checkerboard up-scaling. not native 4k.

as someone else said $2k PCs can only barley push straight 4k at reasonable frame rates. using a GFX card that costs 3x as much as the entire console and alone uses nearly 2x as much power

edit: also even the most expensive PCs cant ray trace anything at good frame rates because of how much it hurts performance

Reactions: GH0ST

GH0ST

OT Supporter
Jul 5, 2003
GA
Yeah, this is just more bullshit from Cerny. Claiming the storage system will be much faster than any SSD on a PC is fucking ridiculous. The PS4 is trash from an I/O standpoint, I have no belief they'll fix the PS5 to be anywhere near as good as a PC.

Meat Popsicle

You're stewed, butt wad!
OT Supporter
Apr 26, 2002
The Middle
its achieved through dynamic/checkerboard up-scaling. not native 4k.

as someone else said $2k PCs can only barley push straight 4k at reasonable frame rates. using a GFX card that costs 3x as much as the entire console and alone uses nearly 2x as much power
Zen 2 and Navi aren't even out yet though..so to me it's not crazy to believe it will be pushing 4k60 based on generational improvements.

TheEvil1

Hell is other people
OT Supporter
Jul 4, 2003
BFE NY
Zen 2 and Navi aren't even out yet though..so to me it's not crazy to believe it will be pushing 4k60 based on generational improvements.

thermal and power constraints severely limit what can actually be done in a console. the only way itll happen is if its literally a PC

TheEvil1

Hell is other people
OT Supporter
Jul 4, 2003
BFE NY
Nah. These are lower power parts. There's no way if even the 2080ti can barely do 4K 60 right now.

right, we typically see a 10-20% increase in new generations. the 3080Ti or whatever will prob do it but its a 1200$ single part that consumes nearly 300w which is the entire power envelope for a console

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448