GAME TECH Official Sony PlayStation 5 - PS5 Thread

Highlander_77

Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!!!
Dec 7, 2000
New England
picked one up about a week ago through the direct purchase. what's the difference between PS plus and PS Now? they are both subscription services and offer some free games?

So, PS Plus is the equivalent of Xbox Live Gold or whatever. You need that in order to play games online, and you also get a selection of free games every month that you can keep for as long as you keep the subscription active. Also sometimes discounts on games on the PlayStation store.

PS Now is basically the equivalent of Gamepass. Not as many new releases on there, but it's also cheaper too (especially if you do an annual subscription).

Boudreaux

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2002
DFW, Texas
So, PS Plus is the equivalent of Xbox Live Gold or whatever. You need that in order to play games online, and you also get a selection of free games every month that you can keep for as long as you keep the subscription active. Also sometimes discounts on games on the PlayStation store.

PS Now is basically the equivalent of Gamepass. Not as many new releases on there, but it's also cheaper too (especially if you do an annual subscription).
Why dont they just combine them :rolleyes:

beetle

blah blah blah
OT Supporter
Jun 1, 2001
Bay Area & Lake Tahoe
Why dont they just combine them :rolleyes:

i agree. the first game i played on the new system was Last of Us (i know it's a PS4 game but I wanted to check it out. was fun). It's free on PS Plus. But now that I've finished it I want to play Last of Us 2 -- which is free on PS Now, but not PS Plus. So dumb.

herpes

OT Supporter
Jun 4, 2005
dfw
PS plus is < $35 a year unless you pay MSRP. most of us don't want ps now.

Y'all can fuck right off.

Boudreaux

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2002
DFW, Texas
i agree. the first game i played on the new system was Last of Us (i know it's a PS4 game but I wanted to check it out. was fun). It's free on PS Plus. But now that I've finished it I want to play Last of Us 2 -- which is free on PS Now, but not PS Plus. So dumb.
I did the same, TLoU first. Only game I've bought is spider man and ghosts of tushima.

Been picking at uncharted and God of War.

PS now just doesn't seem worth it for me right now

Highlander_77

Dec 7, 2000
New England
God truth. Gamepass is just... Unreal.

Can you IMAGINE how much ps could charge people Would gladly play if 1st party games were day 1 like on gamepass?

Like why HAVENT they done that yet.

Not sure it's financially viable with the budget of those games. I'm pretty sure Microsoft is losing money on Gamepass currently.

Boudreaux

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2002
DFW, Texas
Not sure it's financially viable with the budget of those games. I'm pretty sure Microsoft is losing money on Gamepass currently.
Pretty sure Sony can financially handle it. I think Sony is more concerned about hardware sales than Microsoft, where as Microsoft wants inclusivity in their ecosystem which includes PC Master Race.

RickylSmalls

how I love to waste your time
OT Supporter
Feb 28, 2002
Ohio
• Code name Spartacus

• Available on PS4 and PS5

• Launch expected in the spring

• Service will merge Sony’s two existing subscription plans PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now

• Plans to retain the PlayStation Plus branding but phase out PlayStation Now

• Pay a monthly fee for access to a catalog of modern and classic games with three tiers

• Tier 1 include existing PlayStation Plus benefits

• Tier 2 offers a large catalog of PS4 and, eventually, PS5 games

• Tier 3 adds extended demos, game streaming and a library of classic PS1, PS2, PS3 and PSP games

Carne Seca

Oaxaca Flocka Flame
OT Supporter
Apr 1, 2010
Xan Diego
• Code name Spartacus

• Available on PS4 and PS5

• Launch expected in the spring

• Service will merge Sony’s two existing subscription plans PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now

• Plans to retain the PlayStation Plus branding but phase out PlayStation Now

• Pay a monthly fee for access to a catalog of modern and classic games with three tiers

• Tier 1 include existing PlayStation Plus benefits

• Tier 2 offers a large catalog of PS4 and, eventually, PS5 games

• Tier 3 adds extended demos, game streaming and a library of classic PS1, PS2, PS3 and PSP games

:cool:

Highlander_77

Dec 7, 2000
New England
They say they're making a profit but who knows how much

Actually, assuming there's enough people on the service, I guess it could be. The thing we don't know is how much they're paying out in overhead costs and royalties or whatever to the 3rd parties whose games are available on the service. I'm sure big AAA publishers aren't going to let their games be available on there without substantial reimbursement from MS. But with 20-30 million subscribers at $10 a month, you're talking $200-300mil monthly. That seems like it could be enough to fund several big first party games yearly.

Reactions: Keksimus

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448