ART Okay, I've only got one more chance to get this right. . . STS-133 launch.

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
I really didn't need to use that graduated ND filter out there today. I just had something in my head, but the conditions just weren't right for it at all. And then I just got caught up in the whole launch and kind of forgot what I was doing. :(

So I present to you a bleh-tastic shot of STS-133. :hs:

xflsU.jpg

Last edited:

Girth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OT Supporter
Jun 28, 2002
Houston
I was going to have access to the VAB viewing platforms but the guy with the passes decided to take his goddamn kids instead. They're 2 and 3 years old. :mad::mad::mad:

no, he was in the control center here in Houston when they launched. :o

dmora

looks like my jizz explosion... :bowdown:

but srsly tho, great shot man! the filter does give it that sense of leaving earf like Big Jim said.

TS
TS
FryingPan

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
I like the grad filter myself. I think it adds a bit of "edge of space" mystery to the shot.

I agree. I think there wouldn't be much depth without it.

Well, here's the full story.

I was hoping the light was going to be low enough that I'd be able to keep the shutter open for a second at a time. Here's the problem though. . . because the traffic was soooo bad I literally ran out of time and had to pull over on the side of the road and run down to the beach and then try to get to a spot that wasn't crowded by people. I actually had to roll up my jeans and set the tripod out in the ocean in order to get a semi clear POV.

I had planned on stacking ND filters and stopping the lens down all the way to give me the shutter speeds that I wanted, but by the time I got everything set up and fired a few test shots (which weren't anywhere near 1 second at all. . .) the shuttle was already going off. So all I could do was just start clicking away and hoping to get SOMETHING that didn't suck.

When I got home. . . fail. F/22 against a clear blue Florida sky just showed how fucking dirty my sensor is and how badly I need to clean it.

kXRL6.jpg

I really should have just taken the damn ND's off and shot the thing at f/8 and called it a day. Argh.

Girth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OT Supporter
Jun 28, 2002
Houston
Well, here's the full story.

I was hoping the light was going to be low enough that I'd be able to keep the shutter open for a second at a time. Here's the problem though. . . because the traffic was soooo bad I literally ran out of time and had to pull over on the side of the road and run down to the beach and then try to get to a spot that wasn't crowded by people. I actually had to roll up my jeans and set the tripod out in the ocean in order to get a semi clear POV.

I had planned on stacking ND filters and stopping the lens down all the way to give me the shutter speeds that I wanted, but by the time I got everything set up and fired a few test shots (which weren't anywhere near 1 second at all. . .) the shuttle was already going off. So all I could do was just start clicking away and hoping to get SOMETHING that didn't suck.

When I got home. . . fail. F/22 against a clear blue Florida sky just showed how fucking dirty my sensor is and how badly I need to clean it.

kXRL6.jpg

I really should have just taken the damn ND's off and shot the thing at f/8 and called it a day. Argh.

looks like you were blowing bubbles as you waited for your camera to be done. :mamoru:

TS
TS
FryingPan

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
No EXIF data. How long did it take the Shuttle to travel that distance? Is it still loud from your distance?

Wait, really? No EXIF? Strange.

D700
ISO100
16-35 f/4 VRII @ 20mm f/22
1/3 sec
.6 ND + .9ND Grad.
A heaping dose of fail.

That was probably 45 seconds or so. Fucker really gets up and goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btcdiana