[Old Crew] How's your vision?

B-Line

*****d[-_-]b*****
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
Last few months, mine has really taken a turn. Morning and late night, it's really hard to read without glasses.
Things I used to be able to read with ease, I now have to use my phone camera to enlarge. Menu's at restaurants, etc.

Few years ago, I got glasses. Supposed to wear them all the time because "we are always reading." They transition to my prescription as the eyes roll down.
But driving in them makes everything blurry. Now I'm starting to wonder if the eye glass store just likes to use "expensive, upsell lens treatments" and I should just buy lenses with the prescription in the entire lens that I only wear to read?

Thoughts?

Mammoth

I should be working.
OT Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Michigan
-6.5 in each eye. I have Coke bottle thick glasses. But I wear contacts everywhere. I only wear the glasses when I'm at home. One day I'll get Lasik.

TS
TS
B-Line

B-Line

*****d[-_-]b*****
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
-6.5 in each eye. I have Coke bottle thick glasses. But I wear contacts everywhere. I only wear the glasses when I'm at home. One day I'll get Lasik.
They said I can't get Lasik. Evidently i'm not near sighted or far sighted. I'm just at that age where I need reading glasses. They don't have Lasik for that.

TS
TS
B-Line

B-Line

*****d[-_-]b*****
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
Still 20/20 at 39. Dad has always worn glasses, mom got them in her 40s, so I expect that to change soon.
I'm 46. My issues started about 4 years ago. There was a time I was on a low dose, growth hormone and my vision actually got better. I assume because it's a muscle.
But I've been off the GH and my vision is fading again.

staffer21

Who? What? I don't....
Oct 29, 2001
Pretty close to 40 and my eyes are close to 20/20. I’m the only one in my family that didn’t have glasses before I was 12 years old. Both my parents have horrible eye sight.

Reactions: Scottwax

popnfresh

Cuddle Bitch
Nov 4, 2001
1/4 life crisis
Pretty close to 40 and my eyes are close to 20/20. I’m the only one in my family that didn’t have glasses before I was 12 years old. Both my parents have horrible eye sight.
for everyone approaching 40 theres a good chance your near vision is getting bad and you just havent noticed :o

pull your phone in close and see if you can focus on it

Reactions: Pogi and yonson
TS
TS
B-Line

B-Line

*****d[-_-]b*****
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
for everyone approaching 40 theres a good chance your near vision is getting bad and you just havent noticed :o

pull your phone in close and see if you can focus on it
how close?
At 16" away my phone looks good. Anything closer is blurry as fuck.

.chris

William Taylor was a brisk young sailor
OT Supporter
Mar 2, 2006
SoFla
Not good.

But better than this:

popnfresh

Cuddle Bitch
Nov 4, 2001
1/4 life crisis
how close?
At 16" away my phone looks good. Anything closer is blurry as fuck.
i mean you already noticed,

seems like society reads way less printed small shit nowadays.... lotsa middle aged people dont notice they cant focus on anything less than a foot away anymore unless they make a focused effort

01ACRViper

Official OT LOTR Guru......... Spurs >*
Jul 12, 2001
Dallas

just did PRK at the beginning of November. go get it done ASAP, so much nicer :bowdown:

you're just losing years where lasik is effective before your old person vision starts to fade :o

mdaniel

S is for Shiksa
May 6, 2000
NW Mejicooooooo
I've worn contacts (near sighted) since high school but now I need reading glasses when wearing the contacts. I don't want to carry readers since I look at my phone 25,000 times a day. Taking glasses off and on every time sounds like a pain in the ass. I got a pair of progressive glasses and they work very well and very natural feeling. I was pretty much ready to retire the contacts until we all started having to wear masks. The constant fogging sucks ass. So I've been trying monovision again even though I really didn't like it the first couple of times. That's where your dominant eye gets corrected for distance and the other gets a weaker correction that lets you focus more closely for reading while sacrificing distance vision. I'm still not in love with it, but I guess it's better than trying to see through wet glasses.

Cyan Connect

It is the unknown that defines our existence.
OT Supporter
Mar 3, 2005
Had lasik 4 years ago. Went from 20/600 to 20/15 in 7 minutes. 20/20 now.
I don't know how I hardly ever wear glasses and have 20/40 and 20/35 depending on the eye and have not went to an eye doctor until 2004 for the first time, and I know the 20/20 scale, and yet I have friends who have worn glasses since they were kids and they only know the +1, + a billion, etc. scale. They only know the plus something scale but most people do not know the 20/20 scale.

Why is that?

• Love
Reactions: Simius The Monkey
TS
TS
B-Line

B-Line

*****d[-_-]b*****
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
I've worn contacts (near sighted) since high school but now I need reading glasses when wearing the contacts. I don't want to carry readers since I look at my phone 25,000 times a day. Taking glasses off and on every time sounds like a pain in the ass. I got a pair of progressive glasses and they work very well and very natural feeling. I was pretty much ready to retire the contacts until we all started having to wear masks. The constant fogging sucks ass. So I've been trying monovision again even though I really didn't like it the first couple of times. That's where your dominant eye gets corrected for distance and the other gets a weaker correction that lets you focus more closely for reading while sacrificing distance vision. I'm still not in love with it, but I guess it's better than trying to see through wet glasses.
That’s what I have, progressives. I’m supposed to wear them all the time because it naturally amplifies towards the bottom where I need to read. But fuck If I can drive in those things. Makes everything ultra blurry.

mdaniel

S is for Shiksa
May 6, 2000
NW Mejicooooooo
I don't know how I hardly ever wear glasses and have 20/40 and 20/35 depending on the eye and have not went to an eye doctor until 2004 for the first time, and I know the 20/20 scale, and yet I have friends who have worn glasses since they were kids and they only know the +1, + a billion, etc. scale. They only know the plus something scale but most people do not know the 20/20 scale.

Why is that?

20/20 is a measure of visual acuity. Numbers like +1 or -2 are a measure of the optical correction required to provide that acuity. Negative corrections are for nearsightedness, positive numbers for farsightedness. The numbers are additive so putting a +1 lens in front of a -5 lens is the same as using a -4 lens.

Cyan Connect

It is the unknown that defines our existence.
OT Supporter
Mar 3, 2005
20/20 is a measure of visual acuity. Numbers like +1 or -2 are a measure of the optical correction required to provide that acuity. Negative corrections are for nearsightedness, positive numbers for farsightedness. The numbers are additive so putting a +1 lens in front of a -5 lens is the same as using a -4 lens.
Thank you. You are awesome. Live long and prosper.... peace and long life.

• Love
Reactions: Simius The Monkey

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman