OLD Crew: My Discman from the mid-90s has been resurrected

jsilas

OT Supporter
Sep 9, 2006
PNW
I have no idea why I'm making this thread, but I'm enjoying a nice nostalgic listening session on my old Sony Discman. Of course the technology is antiquated, but I grew up really poor so it was a big deal for me to receive this thing as a birthday gift. It stopped working years ago, but I couldn't bring myself to throw it out. With my recent move, I decided I was either gonna restore the player, or throw it out. So I hit up eBay and found a couple inexpensive donor Discman players to harvest parts from. And now this old girl is playing flawlessly. These more modern Discman players didn't sound especially good (older models were much more heavily focused on sound quality), but I'm still loving listening on this thing. My current earphones are a vast improvement on the old plastic garbage Sony shipped with this player, but the nostalgia is there nonetheless.

80wh0uph.jpg

Next step, I'm going to restore my old cassette Walkman from even earlier in my life. :wiggle:

EDIT / UPDATE:
Aaaaand while I was scrounging around eBay for parts, I found a D-232 which was the first Discman I ever got as a kid. My original one was long since broken and thrown away, but I couldn't help myself and bought this one. So despite it not being my original unit, I can now call my sentimental Discman "collection" complete. :wiggle:

CWvzblOh.jpg

EDIT / UPDATE 2:

And to complete the childhood portable collection (although I did have many other cassette units prior to this), I dug out my Walkman, and found a mint copy of Deep Forest on cassette. This was one of the more influential albums on my early musical life, and shaped a lot of my listening preferences to this day.

Sony WM-FX303:

zEqbCieh.jpg

Last edited:

Carne Seca

Oaxaca Flocka Flame
OT Supporter
Apr 1, 2010
Xan Diego
i bought some thing to rip old tapes to digital. but man they sound like shit lol. stuck to just listening on tape.

its some old sd punk band. cant find it any where :hsd:

TS
TS
jsilas

jsilas

OT Supporter
Sep 9, 2006
PNW

Because I'm a music fanatic and I have some weirdly sentimental attachment to things like this.
i bought some thing to rip old tapes to digital. but man they sound like shit lol. stuck to just listening on tape.

its some old sd punk band. cant find it any where :hsd:
That can definitely be done well, but it takes some decent equipment and a lot of patience. If you got a good quality audio capture card for your computer, and a Nakamichi deck, you could get some exceptional digital versions of your tapes.

DizzyEdge

Vax me Trudaddy
OT Supporter
Dec 16, 2007
Calgary, AB
Because I'm a music fanatic and I have some weirdly sentimental attachment to things like this.

That can definitely be done well, but it takes some decent equipment and a lot of patience. If you got a good quality audio capture card for your computer, and a Nakamichi deck, you could get some exceptional digital versions of your tapes.
I just hooked my Walkman to my onboard soundcard input on my pc and was able to make good recordings using Audacity.

Reactions: jsilas and Wolf

Carne Seca

Oaxaca Flocka Flame
OT Supporter
Apr 1, 2010
Xan Diego

yeah i grabbed some cheap shit off amazon. im sure i could get a better rip, but i dont think its worth it for those old tapes.

lol damn that old cassette player is still up there, some of them going for a couple gs on ebay.

Reactions: jsilas
TS
TS
jsilas

jsilas

OT Supporter
Sep 9, 2006
PNW
I remember buying a really nice one for my car and never got it back when I let a "friend" borrow it.

Exact same thing happened to me. I had a Car Discman, and let my old roommate borrow it. Never saw it again. Very glad I didn't loan him my D-465.

I'm pretty sure this is the Car Discman I had. Backlit display/buttons, motorized lid, and a remote. Was pretty awesome at the time.

mPWdXZXh.jpg

.chris

Leave her, Johnny, leave her
OT Supporter
Mar 2, 2006
SoFla
I found my first gen iPod nano recently. I wish I could find my old Walkman lol

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maxvell32