ART Old film scans - Jordan, Egypt and Morocco

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
These were taken by either me (as a kid) or my dad on film.. I love the colours it produces

EGYPT:
Abu Simbel - this amazing temple carved out of one solid cliff.

Queen Hatchesput Templr - about 10 days earlier there was a massacre where a gunman shot about 20 tourists. They were still washing blood off the steps while we were there :eek4:

Just a scene of boats on the Nile

Great Pyramid

Another view of the Syphnx and Pyramid

There are temples and buildings like this all over the place

TS
TS
Marix

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
JORDAN:

Some of the scenery is fucking incredible:

This is a castle build to defend against the crusaders

Caves in the cliffs - and the rocks really are this amazing pink

The entrance to one of the wonders of the world, Petra. Those cliffs are huge.

Looking through that crack in the cliff:

And the whole thing in all its glory.. amazing:

More things carved out of rock

TS
TS
Marix

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
MOROCCO

City view:

Love the colours.. so nice from film:

Huge tanks to prepare and dye leather from cow hides

Cool doorway/temple thing covered in writing

Some mosque - forgot the name but it's pretty famous

Famous square in Marakesh:

Reminds me of Assassins Creed

Kappa00

Pizza
Nov 25, 2008
MOROCCO

Huge tanks to prepare and dye leather from cow hides

Some mosque - forgot the name but it's pretty famous
Small world, haha.
4275813620_bb5b1a2a16.jpg

4275888700_96d2613121.jpg

TS
TS
Marix

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Small world, haha.
[IG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/4275813620_bb5b1a2a16.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2755/4275888700_96d2613121.jpg[/IMG]

Awesome

I'd love to go back now

My next holiday is to Peru, Machu Pichu and the amazon.. will probably make a thread nearer the time :cool:

Kappa00

Pizza
Nov 25, 2008
Awesome

I'd love to go back now

My next holiday is to Peru, Machu Pichu and the amazon.. will probably make a thread nearer the time :cool:

When I was in Casablanca, I filmed prostitutes fucking in the street from my hotel window. That area was :ugh: at night.

TS
TS
Marix

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
When I was in Casablanca, I filmed prostitutes fucking in the street from my hotel window. That area was :ugh: at night.

:rofl: I was quite young but the thing I remember most was the markets full of child labourers younger than me!

TS
TS
Marix

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
So cool :cool: Late 90's?

Yup!

Egypt was 96 and again in 99

Jordan 2000

Morocco 1999

Man I freaking LOVE the colours from film. The actual prints look better than these scans too, but wow the blue skies, orange/pink rocks and sand are just incredible. They're so vivid but natural, whereas quite often pics from the dSLR look kinda fake if you make them too vibrant

White Chocolate

3 Sport Athlete before Age 10
Sep 18, 2007
AZ
Was gonna say the clothes dont look too outdated. Wish I could find old film from 90's family vacations. Although I never left the country :rofl:

TS
TS
Marix

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
I've got some stuff my dad took going back as far as the 60's

New York in 1970 looked so cool. Everybody wearing flared jeans, crazy hair etc

TS
TS
Marix

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
dynamic range of film :bowdown:

Yup

I found dads Canon AE-1 and 3 lenses in a box in the loft

Can't wait to go somewhere and take it for a spin

Any film reccommendations? I've got Fuji C200.. pretty basic cheap stuff

jason612

Sep 7, 2007
NJ
how much are decent consumer grade scanners? or is it not worth it unless you scan large amounts of film/solely use film

TS
TS
Marix

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
The scanner was about £100. Even the cheap ones go to massive dpi resolution. It's an Epson v300 if that helps anybody.

I'm not a pro at this at all.. I'm not even remotely knowledgable. But even this cheap scanner goes up to 4800dpi. If you scan a negative at 4800dpi you will get a HUGE and detailed file. Other consumer scanners go as high as 12,000dpi which is just insane, although you will see grain in the image that close up.

My (limited) understanding is as follows (and I quite expect to be corrected by somebody who is better informed):

I scanned all of these images at 1200dpi and the detail is incredible. You can see things in detail at 100% magnification which you can't even see in these resized, low-res pics which I posted in this thread. In the busy scenes like the landscape of houses or the market, you can see incredible detail including the expressions on peoples faces, the writing on the bags they are carrying etc.

The only limiting factor in sharpness is the resolving power and sharpness of the lens you used (and of course having it perfectly focused). 35mm film "resolution" far outweighs what the lens could ever hope to resolve. After all, that is what expensive "full frame" cameras are copying - 35mm film. I read somewhere that the "resolution" of film works out at something like 90 megapixels - far beyond even the best dSLRs.

And all that detail is preserved in the negative that you get back from the developer. And you can scan that at an insane resolution and pick out a huge amount of that detail if you want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan