FIT Omega-3 EPA/DHA dosing guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uglybob69

I miss beer.
Sep 17, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
I remember we had a thread on this a LONG time ago that had tons of good information in it. I'm looking around to buy some fish oil right now and I want to review the dosage before I buy.

TS
TS
Uglybob69

Uglybob69

I miss beer.
Sep 17, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
I found this:

"According to Dr. Michael Murray, N.D. in his book "Natural Medicine" and the PDR for Nutritional Supplements, a dosage of at least 1,800 mg of EPA and 1,200 mg of DHA for a total of 3,000 mg OMEGA-3 daily is needed for maximum benefit from taking Fish Oil OMEGA-3, which relates to taking several softgels daily."

But... anybody have any studies they could link? I'd rather see some sort of study.

CooperR6

May 31, 2005
IL
while on the subject...

which pills to buy? I saw nature made makes double strength

also, nature's bounty has double strength with more EPA/DHA per serving

Ceaze

he/him
Jun 4, 2000
One thing that I've never quite understood is how our bodies evolved to need so much of it. It doesn't seem to be in a lot of foods and it's not like all of our ancestors lived in coastal areas and feasted on fish daily. Guess that's why I'm not a sciencetician.

Fish aren't the only source of it. Wild animals have a higher % of n-3 than domesticated livestock.

Ricer

OT Supporter
Sep 18, 2004
I think i remember reading somewhere that humans used to eat mostly every part of the bodies they hunted including the brain and the brain is very high in Omega-3 :dunno:

4cd-Air

This user is longer available
Oct 4, 2001
while on the subject...

which pills to buy? I saw nature made makes double strength

also, nature's bounty has double strength with more EPA/DHA per serving

I like Carlson's products, their liquid oil is decent in lemon flavor...Nordic Naturals is good too.

4cd-Air

Oct 4, 2001
Fish aren't the only source of it. Wild animals have a higher % of n-3 than domesticated livestock.

Hey since we're on the subject, I've always wondered...

what do you think the omega oil content of penguin meat would be? They eat fatty fish like sardines and mackeral all day...

thebeave

Dec 25, 2007
The fill oil pills I get from costco have 300mg of EPA/DHA per pill... so I should be taking 10 of these? I usually take 3 in the morning in 3 at night...

knucks

Jul 14, 2004
i take 3 in the morning and 3 before bed of some stuff I got at sam's club. 1000mg per pill, so 3000 in morning, 3000 at night.

energie

I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the
Jun 15, 2006
oilcity alberta
so the consumption of fish oil leads to the creation of a super-human?

how do you think aqua man got so broly

aquaman.jpg

:bowrofl:

HorseDick

Oct 1, 2005
FL
I remember reading somewhere that you should be getting 2.8g/day of EPA/DHA so I try to get 9-10g per day. And as Ceaze said, a lot of wild animals (not hormone-fed shit) are loaded omega-3's...read up on grassfed beef, buffalo, etc.

JeremyD

Oct 3, 2004
When I can legitimately train again, I'm going to be doubling my fish oil up to about 15g/day. Should be fun.

4cd-Air

Oct 4, 2001
should I be taking fish oil in addition to what's in my orange triad multi? it seems to have a joint formula (which is used for arthritis i think)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/clabs/orangetriad.html

Joint Compex™ 2000mg
Glucosamine Sulfate And Chondroitin Sulfate

For sure, the fish oil would be a great addition

The glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM combo is awesome, but in my experiance, the MSM is the only real deal. MSM can help deal with inflammation in the joint and have a quick effect, but the glucosamine/chondroitin takes a LONG time to "help rebuild damaged joints" or whatever they say it does. I used it for a while then got sick of spending money on something I couldn't feel a difference with. I just doubled the does on my EFA's instead. Since it's in your multi, I'd keep taking it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor