Onkyo, Yamaha or Pioneer Elite in the ~$500 range?

Jonny Chimpo

Dec 20, 2003
Hell
Wat do?

need a new receiver for the game room since my (very) old receiver doesn’t do HDMI switching or handle modern surround formats like DTS:X or Atmos.

Speaker setup is 3.1.2, and it’s all streaming audio/video sources and games so it doesn’t have to be retarded high end. Kind of leaning toward the Onkyo TX-NR696 but I have no idea what I’m doing, lulz.

TS
TS
Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo

Dec 20, 2003
Hell
Walk into Best Buy. Look at receivers in your price range. Read reviews while you fend off salesmen. Then search open box and returns on BB website in your local store/near you and see if they have better stuff.
I loathe going into a Best Buy. Would rather stay home and do my research on the crapper, thanks.

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
Yamaha

Onkyo is trash shit will break on you in 2-4 years(just google onkyo hdmi dead board)

Pioneer is OK, I would go with yamaha though.

ObeyTheNoodle

Russian Warship, Go Fuck Yourself
Aug 3, 2001
Seattle
I went from Onkyo receiver the past 20+ years to a Yamaha (RX-V 685) about a year and a half ago. It's alright but I kinda prefer the sound of the Onkyo when watching movies. The Yamaha doesn't disappoint, but the sound seems softer/more natural when compared to the Onkyo. For music, the Yamaha blows away any of the Onkyos I had.

I'd also look into the Demon lineup.

Also, regarding HDMI failures for Onykos... I know it was an issue for many but I've owned three different Onkyo receivers and never experienced it. That being said, it's probably moot cuz Onkyo (along with Pioneer) is going out of business and those two lineups, along with Pioneer Elite and Integra, are going to be sold under the Klipsch umbrella of brands.

ObeyTheNoodle

Russian Warship, Go Fuck Yourself
Aug 3, 2001
Seattle
If you're referring to the 8k/120hz issues, none of it has been fixed across all 2020 receivers.

I thought the issue was with 4k/HDMI 2.1?

Either way, you're right and Demon and Marantz are having issues with it too.

Its a shame cuz those new Yamaha receivers look slick...

zedekias

Feb 27, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I thought the issue was with 4k/HDMI 2.1?

Either way, you're right and Demon and Marantz are having issues with it too.

Its a shame cuz those new Yamaha receivers look slick...

You're right. 4k/120hz.

For me it was a non issue because my receiver was for a projector that is only 4k/60hz. So I purchased a new 2019 denon x3600h for a discounted price.

As far as I know, it really only effects you if you plan on gaming with a ps5 or new Xbox.

Formz

vr6dub can't cook chicken
Mar 13, 2003
🤠 .... 🐄 🏳️‍🌈
You're right. 4k/120hz.

For me it was a non issue because my receiver was for a projector that is only 4k/60hz. So I purchased a new 2019 denon x3600h for a discounted price.

As far as I know, it really only effects you if you plan on gaming with a ps5 or new Xbox.
You’re 100% correct on the ps5 Xbox thing. They’re the only one using it. I just know with them selling like crazy it’ll push to tech forward faster.

zedekias

Feb 27, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Wat do?

need a new receiver for the game room since my (very) old receiver doesn’t do HDMI switching or handle modern surround formats like DTS:X or Atmos.

Speaker setup is 3.1.2, and it’s all streaming audio/video sources and games so it doesn’t have to be retarded high end. Kind of leaning toward the Onkyo TX-NR696 but I have no idea what I’m doing, lulz.

It probably doesn't matter as much in the $500 price range. But all the AV nerds usually recommend yamaha or denon for their room correction software. I haven't seen anyone talk highly of onkyo or pioneer in years. I'm a wannabe AV nerd. So take that with a grain of salt.

mysteryman

OT Supporter
Mar 20, 2006
Onkyo is trash shit will break on you in 2-4 years(just google onkyo hdmi dead board)

Thats still an issue? I remember when I got my Onkyo the board shit the bed around the year mark. Onkyo paid a local place to replace the board and it worked for 5+ years. Been sitting in a box ever since, I will have a use for it again in a few weeks.

Formz

vr6dub can't cook chicken
Mar 13, 2003
🤠 .... 🐄 🏳️‍🌈
Thats still an issue? I remember when I got my Onkyo the board shit the bed around the year mark. Onkyo paid a local place to replace the board and it worked for 5+ years. Been sitting in a box ever since, I will have a use for it again in a few weeks.
My onkyo is about 6 years old at this point and still working. My fathers died at about year 4. I’m hoping mine stays alive long enough for me to get what I want as a replacement lol

KGB ate my bread

nͫiͤcͫeͤnͫiͤcͫeͤnͫiͤcͫeͤnͫiͤcͫeͤ
OT Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Louisiana
You're right. 4k/120hz.

I thought they were free of that bug, but sounds like it's only an issue with the xbox maybe?

zedekias

Feb 27, 2006
Castle Rock, CO

I thought they were free of that bug, but sounds like it's only an issue with the xbox maybe?

Sounds like it i guess. Although it doesn't sound like they did anything to fix it :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026