JaimeZX

Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew
Nov 7, 2005
Back in VA
Hay guys.

OK.

So I'm thinking about an AR build.

And so I'm thinking about uppers.

And since I don't have $xxxx (four digits) to start out with (well, I do, but I can't reasonably spend that right now, I have to buy a safe first...) I'm thinking about a STRIPPED upper.

So I'm thinking that it should be a flat top upper since my current AR is an A2-style. And I did some reading on Arfcom about (complete) upper receivers... and I thought that I might like to get a piston upper. Why? Cleaner, doesn't explode after emerging from a tank of water ( :mamoru: ) etc. Why not? If I'm building slowly I can afford... if not the best then close to it... I DIGRESS.

So. Can I buy a stripped ...piston.... upper?

Are there any significant cons to building an upper from parts instead of buying a complete one?

Also - what the heck is the difference between mid- and carbine- length gas systems (assuming I didn't go with a piston upper?)

I could read for days on Arfcom. And I suppose I ought to if I'm gonna be spending over a grand on this... but if you can hook a broly up with some Cliff's Notes... :o

I like the looks of this one, although I'd probably get some rail covers:
DSC_4289.jpg

I do not like seeing the indention in the barrel as with this rifle:
DSC01471.jpg

How do I avoid this?

THX. :wavey:

TS
TS
JaimeZX

JaimeZX

Nov 7, 2005
Back in VA
my 1 piece VLTOR upper and noveske barrel was under $1000

[MG]http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v264/104/15/6233680/n6233680_38693446_8788.jpg[/IMG]

:cool:

Based on that, their page, http://www.vltor.com/vis.htm , makes it seem as though it's $6xx ish for the receiver & rails, etc, but I'd be needin' a barrel, the BCG, etc etc, yes?

Edit: and again, what is the difference between mid & carbine length gas systems? Guess I should surf around Arfcom some more for that, eh? :p

TS
TS
JaimeZX

JaimeZX

Nov 7, 2005
Back in VA
i'd ask over there

i lied, i paid $610 for the VLTOR and $425 for the barrel

but i am happy with it. i like the singe piece upper

i paid $200 for the bgc and $90 on the CH, but it is rated for suppressors
Why did you choose that particular barrel?

How much does a BCG typically go for? Anything special about yours? (I assume you mean the BCG is rated for suppressors). I'm not terribly interested in that, but I would like the upper to be FA capable if I ever make a friend with an M-16. :o

TS
TS
JaimeZX

JaimeZX

Nov 7, 2005
Back in VA
1/7 twist(snip)

Honestly you're probably fine with 1 in 7, 8 or 9

OK cool. I thought I read something on Arfcom about it, that's why I was thinking 1/9... :p

For the $$ now I'm wondering if I should get a Les Baer instead. :o

Market Garden

Back to part of your original question, the indention on the barrel in that picture is the notch for mounting the grenade launcher. Just get a barrel that doesn't have it.

TS
TS
JaimeZX

JaimeZX

Nov 7, 2005
Back in VA
OK question:

If I were to buy something like this:

Flat top,white t marks, keyhole forge, 20" Colt 1/7 Govt' chrome lined, Bore and rifling look great.,YHM light weight free float rail. A couple of marks near the FSB pins and on the FF tube lock nut. $525 shipped
absll017.jpg

1) Is that a good deal?
2) Could I get a shorter barrel in there? (14.5" or 16"; the 14.5" becomes the minimum 16" with a flash hider, right?)
3) Is it a PITA to replace the front sight with just the front gas thingy?
4) What is the technical term for teh front gas thingy again?

THX.

Soybomb

Aug 30, 2003
Illinois
Where is yar to remind everyone that rails and then railcovers since you don' actually use them are gay?

Just get a 16" mid-length gas system upper with an a2 iron site in a lightweight profile. Spend your piston money on jp handguards if you want to burn some money.

Gun Runner

OT Supporter
Sep 20, 2006
USA
OK question:

If I were to buy something like this:

Flat top,white t marks, keyhole forge, 20" Colt 1/7 Govt' chrome lined, Bore and rifling look great.,YHM light weight free float rail. A couple of marks near the FSB pins and on the FF tube lock nut. $525 shipped

1) Is that a good deal?

Perhaps. Doesn't say if it comes with a bolt carrier group or not though. If you hope to meet that friend with the M16 you'll need a full auto BCG. I know where you can find one of these that's brand new. ;)

2) Could I get a shorter barrel in there? (14.5" or 16"; the 14.5" becomes the minimum 16" with a flash hider, right?)

16" with a Phantom, Vortex, or extended A2 FH. Standard A2 FH won't make it 16". You can change the barrel, sure, but you'll need a vice, hammer, punches, barrel wrench, and I might be missing something...

No but you'll want it in a vice and you'll need a hammer and the proper punch for the pins.

Gas Block

PanzerAce

OT Supporter
Feb 25, 2006
OK question:

1) Is that a good deal?

THX.

Don't know
Yes, but you'd have to pop off the FSB IIRC, unless the handguards aren't free float
What? It's as hard to replace the FSB with anything else no matter what basically. What you replace it with doesn't matter
FSB: Front Sight Base (Or gas block, depends on which part specifically you are talking about and the configuration of the rifle)

TS
TS
JaimeZX

JaimeZX

Nov 7, 2005
Back in VA
:cool: Thanks for the replies, gais.

Oh; where can I get a shoulder thing that goes up?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan