Opening up ports on a router...any concerns?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sammo, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Sammo

Sammo New Member

I was going to open up a port on my house's router for bit torrent programs...anything I should be worried about before I do?

2. Sammo

Sammo New Member

ttt

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

mpaa gonna be in your cpu... stealin' all y0 inf0z

4. Sammo

Sammo New Member

thanks...

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Sure...read up on RIAA lawsuits. Lots of times, they don't even sue...they just send you a letter stating that you violated copyright laws and they will sue. However, you can settle by sending them $3000 right now.

Your attorney will advise you to settle because a lawsuit will cost way more than that. So...start saving.

6. Sammo

Sammo New Member

to my knowledge that isn't as common in Canada and I am only usually just downloading martial arts events

so it is easier for someone to determine my information via IP? if anything wouldn't they just be able to determine my specific IP on the network instead of the IP of the router?

7. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

what?

8. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

they find you via your Internet IP which is attached to your router in your house, it doesn't matter what your IP is behind the router. if you're not doing anything illegal then no, there's nothing you need to worry about.

9. Sammo

Sammo New Member

what was the point of your post? I know about the MPAA/RIAA, I was just curious if there was any extra concern about opening ports for my router

10. MattR2

MattR2 New Member

you can find torrents these days that will use an encrypted channel for communication. ISP cant snoop and see what the actual file is your transferring.

Although i guess they could root through their logs and check the tracker, but thats a lil bit more work.

maybe use a torrent site that uses ssl?

11. MattR2

MattR2 New Member

blocking ports is a bit of an old school strategy although still relevant. You obviously only want to open ONLY whats necessary. If you can (more relevant for business') you want to even restrict them by source and destination, blah blah.

Realistically everything can just be tunneled out port 80, always open. So the only way to be really secure is to monitor what traffic is coming and going, see whats normal and watch for variations.

For your own personal PC i wouldnt sweat it to much. Your probably more worried about virii, spyware blah, get a decent antivirus.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Man you're full of shit :rofl: did you read that on the internet and think "gee it must be true?" :rofl:

think about it....

MPAA pays $25/mo for a residential dsl/cable line... They pay some joe $7.50/hr to download shitloads of torrents off of popular trackers. They record the IP info of the people on the trackers and actually record you receiving packets of illegal information from them! Bam! Instant evidence. They have proof you were doing the downloading, and they can prove exactly what you were downloading because you got it from them.

And SSL, encrypted torrents, registration, etc... NONE of it can prevent that.