GAME Original Deus Ex

Ando

BOOYA
Jan 25, 2003
Mars
One of the many steam games that I've purchased on sale over the years and finally got around to playing it a few weeks ago and finished it (with all 3 endings) yesterday.

Why the hell does no one talk about this game these days?? It's fucking awesome, even by today's standards. Sure the graphics and the level design are obviously dated but this is more than made up for by things like the gameplay mechanics and the story. I always heard how it was good but I never came across any details explaining why it's so good. And I can't believe I never see this game mentioned in other game reviews. This is one of the few games where I really felt like how I played through it would directly impact how things unfolded in the story (whether this is actually the case, I'm not sure). While the decision-making in this game isn't on the same level as the mass effect games, it definitely reminded me of them and gave me the same sense control over the world.

And after playing corridor shooter after corridor shooter over the past few years it was refreshing to play a game that evokes such a strong sense of exploration and freedom. Multiple ways to complete each challenge is something you rarely see in games these days. And a lot of the areas were like living/breathing towns with a ton of shit to discover. Even a game like Mass Effect 2, which is probably my favourite game ever, falls a bit guilty to the corridor shooter formula with its completely linear combat missions. And the variety of items, skills, augs, etc. all let you choose how you want to play the game.

I had a great time with DE from start to finish, which provided my with nearly 30 hours of joy. Overall, great game and even though Invisible Wars was not considered to be as good I'll probably give it a try too (bought both games on steam).

PS: if anyone wants to play through Deus Ex themselves, you need to make some changes to some of the files in order for it to run properly on newer windows platforms (if you try and play it as-is, it runs in slow motions). Plus I downloaded a texture pack and a direct x9 rendering engine which i think helped improve the graphics quite a bit. I can post the details if anyone wants them.

TS
TS
Ando

Ando

BOOYA
Jan 25, 2003
Mars
deus-ex.jpg

Pretty much the only reason why I gave this a try was because Deus Ex Human Revolution looks so amazing.

BobBarkersSoup

Mar 23, 2004
Easily in my top 5 games of all time. Might even put it at #1, fucking outstanding game.

I want to hope the new one could be close to as awesome as the original, but that's asking a fucking LOT :o

Lunacriss

it took so long to remember just what happened
Aug 12, 2004
Northern NJ
one of, if not my favorite game of all time

pc gamer just voted it the best pc game of all time a few issues ago

the storyline is so intricate, and the game is so fucking immsersive

i've probably finished it about half a dozen times and each time find something new. wasnt until my third playthrough or so I found the hidden room is the copter pilot's (forgot his name) room in honk kong.

TS
TS
Ando

Ando

BOOYA
Jan 25, 2003
Mars
i've probably finished it about half a dozen times and each time find something new. wasnt until my third playthrough or so I found the hidden room is the copter pilot's (forgot his name) room in honk kong.

Jock. It definitely felt like each playthrough would be a very different experience.

Boomdart

Apr 28, 2005
Yea it was a pretty awesome game. There aren't enough FPS rpg's.

I couldn't get into the 2nd one though, and I couldn't figure out how to get it to work in widescreen so I just dropped the idea of playing it.

Game was talked about to death when it came out

TS
TS
Ando

Ando

BOOYA
Jan 25, 2003
Mars
At the very least, it looks like the music in Human Revolution will be at least as good as in DE.

Rellik

Feb 2, 2005
great game, and invisible war wasnt that bad either, even if everyone bashed it. it fleshed out some of the story, and although the environments were a lot smaller they were more detailed (lots of generic base complexes in the original)

Boomdart

Apr 28, 2005
I hated Tribes. Badly executed IMO. Too open and too boring.

The openness is what gave you a reason to try harder, because you didn't want to respawn all the way back at your base.

If you were never any good at it, I can see how you wouldn't like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448