ART Orion Neb new tech - astropic

EWhytsell

Jun 16, 2008
Heres an Orion nebula pic I got last night. It got clear and the temp dropped to about 15 degrees. This time I shot some frames of the bright core and masked them into the rest of the image to get everything exposed right.

M4211-18-08.jpg

Mighty_Zeus

Duuuuuuuuuuude :cool:

I've been really interested in getting into this. My In-Laws got me a decent telescope, have to order the mount for my Nikon when I get home still. It won't get anything near that, it's only 1250mm f/13, but it's a place to start. It will track moon, planets and some select deeper space stuff for the long exposure.

Bad as hell mate.

TS
TS

EWhytsell

Jun 16, 2008
At F/13 you'll have a really nice planet scope for sure.

My scope stock is 2032mm F10, but I used a focal reducer for that shot to bring it to 1300mm F6.3 to widen the field a bit. I still can't quite get the whole cloud to fit, but thats good enough for a print.

tetsuo

And shepherds we shall be...
May 6, 2004
:bowdown: photos like this just make you think about how small and insignificant this planet really is

TS
TS

EWhytsell

Jun 16, 2008
TS: Reflective, Refractive, Dobson, which is best for planetary?

A really good quality purpose built scope of higher than F/15 would be a good way to get some awesome shots. I've seen one purpose built F/78 scope. That was sweet and could resolve Pluto and its moon Charon to some surface detail.

To get into it on a little less expensive level you can get a really nice refractor or the type that I use called a Schimidt Cassagrain. They use a primary concaved with a hole in the center of it with a secondary convex mirror to put the light down the hole along with a corrector lens on the front to fix vignetting to some degree. You can get them cheaper per aperture than a refractor and with very good quality.

Reflectors will work very well too, but require a heavier mount due to their size and weight.

ERock

I'm not a cat
OT Supporter
Jan 9, 2002
SoCal
:bowdown: amazing shot

My next door neighbor has an 18" dobsonian. Wonder if I can mount my camera to it somehow

TS
TS

EWhytsell

Jun 16, 2008
:bowdown: amazing shot

My next door neighbor has an 18" dobsonian. Wonder if I can mount my camera to it somehow
That would be sweet. You can get a mount for it from lots of places. It would need to match the barrel size of his focuser and then from there its a standard T-thread with a T-ring to match your camera.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan