SRS OT’rs with kids

Jon91SE

These hoes ain’t loyal
OT Supporter
Mar 31, 2004
FL
Life comes at you fast and lightening strikes....

Over the last two months I had to deal with 2 emergency surgies for my son who had his appendix removed and a complication after. Crazy time and the world pretty much stopped.

well just when I felt like “I”was dealt a shitty hand our son was playing with a neighborhood kid. We noticed the kids brother (like 6yo) was MIA and all we knew was he was in a hospital sick.

turns out in the blink of an eye the parents brought him for a covid test due to a fever. Test was negative.....next thing he’s being airlifted across the state and told he has leukemia, and the aggressive kind. He will at minimum spend the next 3 years in ICU and outlook is about as bad as can be.

and just like that....their entire life is permanently changed and they are in for what I could only imagine is the hardest and most excruciating thing to go through...

If your kids are healthy take a minute and realize how amazing and relatively easy you have it. I wouldn’t wish their situation on even the worst person.

michael

Florida Man, Esq.
Dec 21, 2001
The ether
Life comes at you fast and lightening strikes....

Over the last two months I had to deal with 2 emergency surgies for my son who had his appendix removed and a complication after. Crazy time and the world pretty much stopped.

well just when I felt like “I”was dealt a shitty hand our son was playing with a neighborhood kid. We noticed the kids brother (like 6yo) was MIA and all we knew was he was in a hospital sick.

turns out in the blink of an eye the parents brought him for a covid test due to a fever. Test was negative.....next thing he’s being airlifted across the state and told he has leukemia, and the aggressive kind. He will at minimum spend the next 3 years in ICU and outlook is about as bad as can be.

and just like that....their entire life is permanently changed and they are in for what I could only imagine is the hardest and most excruciating thing to go through...

If your kids are healthy take a minute and realize how amazing and relatively easy you have it. I wouldn’t wish their situation on even the worst person.
3 years in the ICU? wat

Mammoth

I should be working.
OT Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Michigan
That's horrible. What you went through sucks. But you're right, there's almost always someone that has it worse. Sometimes you overlook how good you truly have it. Hope you're son gets better soon. :hug:

TS
TS
Jon91SE

Jon91SE

These hoes ain’t loyal
OT Supporter
Mar 31, 2004
FL
That's horrible. What you went through sucks. But you're right, there's almost always someone that has it worse. Sometimes you overlook how good you truly have it. Hope you're son gets better soon. :hug:
Thanks bro. He’s A ok and acting like it never happened

was very much a time of reflecting on everything and I can say it brought more good then it did bad.

Just humbling to basically be celebrating as they start their journey:(

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
The mortality rate is near 100%

theyre on borrowed time just to watch him decline away. Jesus
i always use my "is this as bad/worse than a four year old girl with cancer?" to get my bearings or shut up a fucking whiner

lots of thing bad/scary things in life, but if its something that 80% of ppl have dealt with and are fine later, then pick yourself up and get going, youll be fine in awhile

Petey!

Oh Yeah!
OT Supporter
Mar 31, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
My cousins new kid has a rare kidney issue, super rough with a lack of support because of covid. So glad my kids are all in good health. An acquaintance also just lost their 2nd kid to cancer, she was maybe a year and a half old, spent the better part of her life in hospital. Absolutely brutal.

TS
TS
Jon91SE

Jon91SE

These hoes ain’t loyal
OT Supporter
Mar 31, 2004
FL
My cousins new kid has a rare kidney issue, super rough with a lack of support because of covid. So glad my kids are all in good health. An acquaintance also just lost their 2nd kid to cancer, she was maybe a year and a half old, spent the better part of her life in hospital. Absolutely brutal.

I just realized the level of stress covid must add to this kid with his condition

ugh

TankRizzo

The People's Moderator
Super Moderator
Jun 1, 2001
I've spent my share of time in the hospital with my son. Type 1 diabetes sucks but I'm thankful it's treatable. Being in the hospital and seeing parents and kids in more unfortunate situations is heartbreaking. It's a truly helpless feeling, especially when they don't know what the hell is wrong with your kid.

• Sad
Reactions: saabguy and 12xalt

monolith

Hey, Herbie! How's life? Taking forever.
OT Supporter
May 9, 2004
Virginia
too many ppl dont have any fucking perspective aboot how lucky they are
I think most parents do realize how lucky they are. I would guess we all think relatively the same things when we look or hold our children. How we are scared behind comprehension that something bad happens to them. How you would cope with that and get them through it.

The fact that we only have to imagine those scenarios and not experience them is a way for us to see just how lucky we are.

saabguy

Saab-free since 2013. Mortgage guru
OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
Loserville. Population: 1
I posted earlier about my friend being diagnosed with Parkinson’s. His son is in his 30’s now, but when he was younger he got into an accident and broke his neck. They were pretty much resigned to the fact that he would be in a wheelchair with limited mobility the rest of his life. But he miraculously recovered and leads a perfectly normal and healthy life. But I know it shook him a lot dealing with a child and a serious medical condition.

lugoismad

Jul 22, 2006
My neighbors son is a year behind my girls in school.

He had just started kindergarten. Rode the bus in the seat right behind my girls.

He comes home with a slight fever. By 11pm he couldn't move his arms or legs. He gets airlifted to Childrens hospital ICU.

Ends up he has acute flaccid myelitis. Its basically the same as Polio. Scar tissue on his spine prevents him from having much motor function. He can move his head and his left foot. He uses his left foot to control his wheelchair.

He's not that great in school. I told him he better wise up and start getting good grades, because he's going to need to use his brain to make money.

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
I think most parents do realize how lucky they are. I would guess we all think relatively the same things when we look or hold our children. How we are scared behind comprehension that something bad happens to them. How you would cope with that and get them through it.

The fact that we only have to imagine those scenarios and not experience them is a way for us to see just how lucky we are.
work in retail for one xmas and get back to me

ppl lose their shit over NOTHING

most of them are parents

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman