OT, come make fun of my dolly

grizzy

OT Supporter
Sep 12, 2004
Cinci, OH
My dad has a custom aluminum fishing boat on order, and I thought I'd make him something for Christmas to help him maneuver it into his garage. His driveway is one car wide with no way to back the boat in easily, so I built him a motorized trailer dolly to make life easier.

Started with a 3000lb winch, I had to remove the steel cable and machine down the spindle to fit a 16 tooth 530 chain sprocket. The bearings are on the end and stayed, so it's still got the full strength even though one of the side flanges was removed.

I found a 32 tooth motorcycle sprocket for the front wheel, and drilled holes in the steel wheel and bolted it on. It runs on a 3/4" axle. The frame is made from 2" square tubing with 1/8" thick wall, welded together. Trailer ball is welded on just behind the front axle to make sure the whole weight of the trailer rested between all 4 wheels. I added swivel casters to the back to make it easier to maneuver. It runs on a lawn tractor battery, which probably isn't ideal but should last long enough to turn a boat around and back it into his garage.

dolly1.jpg
dolly2.jpg
dolly3.jpg
dolly4.jpg
dolly5.jpg

All in, project cost about $150. I know it's not 100% perfect, but for a home builder I think it came out pretty nice. It moves at a fairly slow walking pace, but has tons of torque and should do the job nicely :bigthumb:

Last edited:
TS
TS
grizzy

grizzy

OT Supporter
Sep 12, 2004
Cinci, OH
very cool! nice job. What's the estimated capacity?
The front tires are rated for roughly 300lbs each, the casters are rated for more I believe. I can stand on it and bounce up and down and I weigh 200lbs. I think the tongue weight of this trailer should only be about 150lbs so it's plenty for his boat at least. I'd like to find someone close with a heavier trailer to test it on :eek3d:

TS
TS
grizzy

grizzy

OT Supporter
Sep 12, 2004
Cinci, OH
ball high enough off of the ground, no clearance issues?
The top of the ball is about 18" off the ground, I emailed the boat maker and asked for the height of the trailer hitch when level and it was about 17". It's got about 5" clearance over the drive wheels, should be good to go.

KingGargantuan

♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖
Oct 4, 2001
VABeach
My dad has a custom aluminum fishing boat on order, and I thought I'd make him something for Christmas to help him maneuver it into his garage. His driveway is one car wide with no way to back the boat in easily, so I built him a motorized trailer dolly to make life easier.

Started with a 3000lb winch, I had to remove the steel cable and machine down the spindle to fit a 16 tooth 530 chain sprocket. The bearings are on the end and stayed, so it's still got the full strength even though one of the side flanges was removed.

I found a 32 tooth motorcycle sprocket for the front wheel, and drilled holes in the steel wheel and bolted it on. It runs on a 3/4" axle. The frame is made from 2" square tubing with 1/8" thick wall, welded together. Trailer ball is welded on just behind the front axle to make sure the whole weight of the trailer rested between all 4 wheels. I added swivel casters to the back to make it easier to maneuver. It runs on a lawn tractor battery, which probably isn't ideal but should last long enough to turn a boat around and back it into his garage.

View attachment 83091
View attachment 83092
View attachment 83093
View attachment 83094
View attachment 83095

All in, project cost about $150. I know it's not 100% perfect, but for a home builder I think it came out pretty nice. It moves at a fairly slow walking pace, but has tons of torque and should do the job nicely :bigthumb:
well hello
that's lookin swell
it's so nice to have it back where it belongs

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan