STYLE OT help me find decent casual button downs

Perfect Speed

Software and Cars
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
PHL>SEA>CLT
I'm in the need of some new shirts and haven't really found anything I like, and on the rare occasion I do it's like $50+ a shirt - which makes me not like them.
Since I know I'll be doing a wide variety of stuff in these I'd rather they be on the cheaper side (as ruining them is definitely a possibility on occasion), while still being somewhat comfy. Looking for long sleeve casual-style button down shirts. Stripes are ok but like a flannel-style print is preferred, if they look good on the dad-bod, that'd be cool too haha.
Ideally at or under $30/shirt.... What do you good folks recommend?

Last edited:
TS
TS
Perfect Speed

Perfect Speed

Software and Cars
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
PHL>SEA>CLT
Why spend $30 settling on something you don’t like, when you would be happy with a $50 shirt?
Mainly because I've only done limited looking online and I have only seen designer brands. I assume there's other stuff out there, I just don't know of it because I don't buy clothes other than t-shirts and hoodies very often.
is this for your Arby's interview?
Who are you again?

• Haha
Reactions: intro_vert13
TS
TS
Perfect Speed

Perfect Speed

Software and Cars
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
PHL>SEA>CLT
Before you focus on price I'd recommend understanding which shirts fit you the best.

Honestly no idea - Not trying to go out and shop either as it's getting a little covid-y here lately.
I'd just like to get a few nicely priced recommendations from OT, order 1-2 shirts from each one and then return what doesn't fit and order more of what does.

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
Honestly no idea - Not trying to go out and shop either as it's getting a little covid-y here lately.
I'd just like to get a few nicely priced recommendations from OT, order 1-2 shirts from each one and then return what doesn't fit and order more of what does.
Brooks Brothers/J Crew depending on how "slim/trim/normal" you like your shirts

Brooks Brothers have like 3 fits J Crew have 1 or 2

TS
TS
Perfect Speed

Perfect Speed

Software and Cars
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
PHL>SEA>CLT
Basically like below. No pocket, long sleeve, plaids/flannels/stripes/darker solids, wrinkle-free is nice but not a must, - not picky on fabric - using untuckit as an example

kwhitelaw

OT Supporter
Sep 1, 2004
virginia
Tough cause $30 shirts are gonna look like $30 shirts.. get on malefashionadvice Reddit or poke around styleforum

usual suspects most of which have already been named

Brooks brothers
Jcrew (factory lower quality than mainline
Ralph Lauren can get fairly cheap at their factory stores

gonna depend on your body tho, a lot of off the shelf stuff is gonna boxy if you're not buying the slim version. But a $5 tailor to pull the sides in can go a long way for even a $30 jcrew factory button down

TS
TS
Perfect Speed

Perfect Speed

Software and Cars
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
PHL>SEA>CLT
Tough cause $30 shirts are gonna look like $30 shirts.. get on malefashionadvice Reddit or poke around styleforum

usual suspects most of which have already been named

Brooks brothers
Jcrew (factory lower quality than mainline
Ralph Lauren can get fairly cheap at their factory stores

gonna depend on your body tho, a lot of off the shelf stuff is gonna boxy if you're not buying the slim version. But a $5 tailor to pull the sides in can go a long way for even a $30 jcrew factory button down

This is useful stuff and maybe a tailor would be decent idea.

Just want to say that these shirts don't need to be super super dressy, I have some stuff for those occasions, this is more just for when I don't want to wear a t-shirt on a given day. I work from home so it's not even like it's office wear for me.

Reactions: kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw

OT Supporter
Sep 1, 2004
virginia
Shit I have maybe a dozen button downs from epaulet I've never worn, depending on your size I'll unload them to you for a fraction what I paid ($150-200 per shirt)

TS
TS
Perfect Speed

Perfect Speed

Software and Cars
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
PHL>SEA>CLT
Shit I have maybe a dozen button downs from epaulet I've never worn, depending on your size I'll unload them to you for a fraction what I paid ($150-200 per shirt)

Probably still an XL - Working my way back to L from COVID weight.

If they're measured like dress shirts, let me know and I can do measurements... really appreciate the offer

Reactions: kwhitelaw

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448