OT Married Crew: How did you combine finances?

phatguy88

OT Supporter
Nov 8, 2005
boston
Got married two months ago and both of us have separate bank accounts/CC. We want to combine everything but think about it before rushing into it. Do you have multiple accounts? (Like one for bills, one for direct deposit etc)

Any tips/advice?

Learn me OT

[email protected]

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
i know people in their 20's with both joint only and separate only accounts.

i also know people in their 60's with both joint only and separate only accounts.

myself, i would never even have conversation about having a joint account......that may also be part of the reason i'm not married :hmm:

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
what sours me most are the guys i know who make all the money in the household, but their wives take care of all the finances....

those dudes don't have shit for the most part and it leads to having a wife with a champagne taste and a beer budget.

Jumpem

Oct 9, 2002
One checking account that all paychecks get direct deposited to. I have a savings account that I direct deposit to each week. It gets used for whatever either of us needs.

Peter Gibbons

OT Supporter
Oct 15, 2003
Every couple is different, there is no one size fits all answer, but you seem to get that.

We have two checking accounts, only because one was mine from when I was single, and the second was a joint account we opened while dating but living together before fully merging finances.

Now they're full merged. We have a full slew of investment accounts.

Know that may people who think they are maintaining "separate accounts" to protect their money in case they split, aren't. Pre-martial assets are pre-marital. Marital assets in most states and most circumstances, are going to be marital, even if you "only ever used that money for strip clubs" or whatever other system you have.

That said, splitting the finances up can allow you to have individual control which may help balance out disparate feelings about how to manage money.

Reactions: Yeahdoug

smell my finger

strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,
Aug 8, 2001
N NJ
each have our own checking and cc accounts but one retirement/main savings account. we kinda divide up the reoccurring bills from our individual checking accounts.

Jumpem

Oct 9, 2002
I don't understand wanting to keep them separate either. Determining who pays what bills, who is paying for the groceries or gas this time, who is paying for dinner, who pays when the house needs to be repaired. It is so much simpler to just have joint accounts to contribute to and pay from.

Reactions: Jinx and TheProwler
TS
TS
phatguy88

phatguy88

OT Supporter
Nov 8, 2005
boston
I don't understand wanting to keep them separate either. Determining who pays what bills, who is paying for the groceries or gas this time, who is paying for dinner, who pays when the house needs to be repaired. It is so much simpler to just have joint accounts to contribute to and pay from.
Agreed. I was wondering how people handled bills (like making an account for just bills)

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman