GUN OT, please give me the down-and-dirty on AR building v.lower

Ultimate_Ninja

Sep 1, 2004
Minneapolis
Ok, since we all know Hussein Obama is going to go after EBRs first, I've decided I want to buy a pair of stripped lowers before they become illegal.

One is going to be just a "normal" AR I'll keep around for plinking, range use, etc. etc. Nothing too specialized; I'll probably throw a red-dot on it for optics.

The second, is going to be a varmint gun. 22"-24" barrel, big scope, etc. Essentially, I want to watch squirrels explode when I shoot them.

Who makes a good lower? Where's a good place to buy them? Any advice or tips?

Thanks brothers :bowdown:

TS
TS
Ultimate_Ninja

Ultimate_Ninja

Sep 1, 2004
Minneapolis
Also. I live in Wisconsin. My 19-year old brother is in the Wisconsin National Guard. Will he be able to buy a stripped lower, or does he have to be 21?

GarandBobcat

Jan 21, 2007
Merced Co., CA
what? i thought it was 18 years old for long arms nationwide?
it was, except that there's a new 4473 out, mandatory implementation by 11/18/08, listing categories for handguns, long guns, and "other (receivers etc.)"

Technically, under the law, only long guns are exempt from the 21 years old requirement, and now that receivers are not just lumped in with long guns, they'll probably be put into the "must be 21" category by ATF. Them bastards.

Paul Revere

OT Supporter
May 19, 2003
Cali-NO NFA-fornia
Um....maybe. Depends what the lower has been marked as in the books.

There's a reason that 'pistol' marked lowers were so popular.

you dont think that if someone wanted to they could make an AR pistol out of a lower regardless of what the book says?

its a stupid law but if someone wants to do it, they're going to do it.

TS
TS
Ultimate_Ninja

Ultimate_Ninja

Sep 1, 2004
Minneapolis
There's a good writeup on ar15.com here: http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

We almost need a sticky on this topic.

Gonna need it soon.

Don't know much about ARs, truthfully. Both myself, brother, and dad are going to be buying at least one each in the next two months. The only experience we have is that my brother went through Army BCT/AIT recently, and used the M16. Obviously, not a whole lot of what he learned there is going to apply to civilian-caliber weapons, but any little bit helps.

I was leaning heavily towards the S&W M&P just because even though my M&P9c was defective (feed ramp issues on JHP loads), the customer service was absolutely top-notch. Any company that can back their product with a lifetime warranty and that kind of service gets a thumbs up in my book.

bursty

Jan 26, 2007
MO<->TX
Gonna need it soon.

Don't know much about ARs, truthfully. Both myself, brother, and dad are going to be buying at least one each in the next two months. The only experience we have is that my brother went through Army BCT/AIT recently, and used the M16. Obviously, not a whole lot of what he learned there is going to apply to civilian-caliber weapons, but any little bit helps.

I was leaning heavily towards the S&W M&P just because even though my M&P9c was defective (feed ramp issues on JHP loads), the customer service was absolutely top-notch. Any company that can back their product with a lifetime warranty and that kind of service gets a thumbs up in my book.

I've heard nothing but great things about the M&P15s. I want one :o

idleprocess

Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou
The only experience we have is that my brother went through Army BCT/AIT recently, and used the M16. Obviously, not a whole lot of what he learned there is going to apply to civilian-caliber weapons, but any little bit helps.

With the exception of what we often call the "happy switch" on the M4 and M16 and a few other differences, the AR-15 is essentially the same basic rifle as the M4/M16. It operates the same (sans the third safety position), fires the same ammunition, has mostly interchangeable parts, and has the same accessories.

Paul Revere

OT Supporter
May 19, 2003
Cali-NO NFA-fornia
i'm using the english language to support my claim- let's try some more

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_the_saying_'all_intents_and_purposes'_or_'all_intense_purposes'
That's totally not appropriate. I didn't even make that outrageous of a claim, but you definitely disrespected me, and the entire english community on that one.

I don't care if you just know that much about the subject, or you are just ignorant to the facts that are in the field that I am an expert on, but come on. Don't bullshit the fact that I know more about this than you do. Just come straight and say you don't know what you're talking about, and we'll be cool.

Seriously? This is fucking bullshit, you shouldn't get so riled up about such trivial things, but if you do, you're a fucking faggot. Go home and make love to your fucking real doll. You don't know shit about what we're talking about and you need to fucking leave this thread right now. Buy a bullet and rent a gun, because sir, you are finished in life

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan