CAR OT Should I buy a 100/200 Series Lexus Land Cruiser or a GX470/GX460?

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
good to know :hmm:

The 470/100/any Toyota SUV with the 4.7 will tow okay, but it's night and day difference between the new gens with the 5.7. I tow my ~3k camper with my LX470 regularly and it's okay. I towed a ~7k load with my 200 and it felt the exact same as towing the camper with the LX. I'm afraid to hook the camper to the 200 as I'll likely never want to tow it again with the LX.

Reactions: about:blank

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
One of the best 4wd systems around, it has a center differential not just a transfer case so you can run 2wd, 4wd on pavement, 4hi (locked trasnfer case) and 4lo (lock tc). 2005-2007 also got a torsen center diff so it's great for rallying and stuff. They all came standard with atrac which makes the open diffs not a problem for offroading.
But moms drive it so we must spend $20,000 more to be cool

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
One of the best 4wd systems around, it has a center differential not just a transfer case so you can run 2wd, 4wd on pavement, 4hi (locked trasnfer case) and 4lo (lock tc). 2005-2007 also got a torsen center diff so it's great for rallying and stuff. They all came standard with atrac which makes the open diffs not a problem for offroading.
4th gen 4Runner, GX, LC, and LX also have all that.

Reactions: couchlock

about:blank

Apr 5, 2001
4th gen 4Runner, GX, LC, and LX also have all that.
LC and LX are permanent 4wd, no 2wd option, open center diff only, open front/read diff (no locker, atrac only except 98,99), no torsen. 4runner and GX might but a many of them have manual transfer case levers and those do not, also no torsen.

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
good to know :hmm:
that's why sequoia was on my list for awhile actually
If you have any real plans to get a travel trailer, don't consider anything besides a 2nd gen Tundra with the optional larger fuel tank.

Ask @ERock how often he had to stop for fuel with his Tundra and trailer.

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
LC and LX are permanent 4wd, no 2wd option, open center diff only, open front/read diff (no locker, atrac only except 98,99), no torsen. 4runner and GX might but a many of them have manual transfer case levers and those do not, also no torsen.

What gens we talking here? Pretty much all the good 4wd stuff comes to the LC/LX first then to the others. They all have center locking diffs, some 100s came with rear lockers (98&99), 2000+ all have atrac (a better version than in the 1st gen sequoia), all 100s have manual tcase shifter, LX had torsen in the beginning before the atrac was refined to get rid of it.

Not hating on sequoias, but there's nearly nothing better in the same year LX/LC.

TS
TS
CPTMULLET

CPTMULLET

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
If you have any real plans to get a travel trailer, don't consider anything besides a 2nd gen Tundra with the optional larger fuel tank.

Ask @ERock how often he had to stop for fuel with his Tundra and trailer.
it's always on the radar to tow something, but I'm not sure how realistic it is tbh, some mix of how bonuses look this year and if my partner actually wants to go in on one :o

might buy a shitty boat if her health goes south and fix it up over the winter though, that's semi realistic :hs:

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
You're right about the no 2WD (V6 4Runners do have it). 4th gen 4Runners, 5th gen Limited and GXs also all have torsen center diffs. The GXs do have a manual transfer case lever, but its just the alternative to the electronic actuator on the 4Runner. Center diff lock is completely separate from 4Hi/4Lo.

Apr 5, 2001
What gens we talking here? Pretty much all the good 4wd stuff comes to the LC/LX first then to the others. They all have center locking diffs, some 100s came with rear lockers (98&99), 2000+ all have atrac (a better version than in the 1st gen sequoia), all 100s have manual tcase shifter, LX had torsen in the beginning before the atrac was refined to get rid of it.

Not hating on sequoias, but there's nearly nothing better in the same year LX/LC.
Mainly talking about 2005-2007 Sequoias since they are the only ones that came with torsen center diff/transfer case. What years did LX/LC have torsen center diff?

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
it's always on the radar to tow something, but I'm not sure how realistic it is tbh, some mix of how bonuses look this year and if my partner actually wants to go in on one :o

might buy a shitty boat if her health goes south and fix it up over the winter though, that's semi realistic :hs:
I'm just saying a 25 gallon tank doesn't get you very far if you're hovering around 10 mpg. Plus having a longer wheelbase is a really good thing when towing.

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
Mainly talking about 2005-2007 Sequoias since they are the only ones that came with torsen center diff/transfer case. What years did LX/LC have torsen center diff?

Ah. Thought you meant axle diff. LX had a torsen rear early on.

Either way, LC/LX are unquestionably better base platforms for off road and have way better build quality, especially interior wise.

The sequoias are awesome trucks and usually are easier to find and cheaper.

It basically comes down to what he really wants to do with it and how much his budget is.

Reactions: AndyP

Apr 5, 2001
You're right about the no 2WD (V6 4Runners do have it). 4th gen 4Runners, 5th gen Limited and GXs also all have torsen center diffs. The GXs do have a manual transfer case lever, but its just the alternative to the electronic actuator on the 4Runner. Center diff lock is completely separate from 4Hi/4Lo.
Just went down the rabbit hole, the V8 runners, gx470 and gx460 do have torsen center diffs and no 2wd options, lever on gx470 only switches between 4hi and 4lo. 4th gen V6 have 2wd/4hi/4lo but no torsen. 5th gen 4runners seem to have torsen only on the limited models with the 20" wheels, the offroad versions do not have it.

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
Just went down the rabbit hole, the V8 runners, gx470 and gx460 do have torsen center diffs and no 2wd options, lever on gx470 only switches between 4hi and 4lo. 4th gen V6 have 2wd/4hi/4lo but no torsen. 5th gen 4runners seem to have torsen only on the limited models with the 20" wheels, the offroad versions do not have it.

Torsen is a mute point tbh. They all have locking center diffs and arent nearly powerful enough to make good use of a torsen center.

Reactions: AndyP

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026