CAR OT Should I buy a 100/200 Series Lexus Land Cruiser or a GX470/GX460?

about:blank

Apr 5, 2001
Yes. Any LC/LX with atrac will, so all but two years 98/99. And in those two years many had rear locking diffs or torsen rear so they would pass too.
Atrac was a game changer, pretty much all new cars use a similar system now. I still remember the days when having a car with traction control mean turning that shit off every single time your drove, "fuck it, I'll take my chances".

Reactions: Ramathorn15

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
Atrac was a game changer, pretty much all new cars use a similar system now. I still remember the days when having a car with traction control mean turning that shit off every single time your drove, "fuck it, I'll take my chances".

It's pretty great. I tell people that it's about 70% of what being triple locked is. You have to know how to use it though, which many dont.

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
Just went down the rabbit hole, the V8 runners, gx470 and gx460 do have torsen center diffs and no 2wd options, lever on gx470 only switches between 4hi and 4lo. 4th gen V6 have 2wd/4hi/4lo but no torsen. 5th gen 4runners seem to have torsen only on the limited models with the 20" wheels, the offroad versions do not have it.
Didn't realize the V6s didn't have the Torsen. Ohh well...don't really care about those. 5th gens don't have a center diff anymore except the Limited. Auto climate control was a Limited only option for a while on 5th gens too. :rofl:

I always found it interesting that 4th gen 4Runners (and pretty sure GXs) don't automatically lock the center diff in 4Lo.

TS
TS
CPTMULLET

CPTMULLET

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
Ah. Thought you meant axle diff. LX had a torsen rear early on.

Either way, LC/LX are unquestionably better base platforms for off road and have way better build quality, especially interior wise.

The sequoias are awesome trucks and usually are easier to find and cheaper.

It basically comes down to what he really wants to do with it and how much his budget is.
fancy car camping aka overlanding, 15-25k, some rally shit/hoodrat shit with my friends, modify it, have a rtt or sleeping platform, tow a small boat/overlanding trailer/camper

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
Didn't realize the V6s didn't have the Torsen. Ohh well...don't really care about those. 5th gens don't have a center diff anymore except the Limited. Auto climate control was a Limited only option for a while on 5th gens too. :rofl:

I always found it interesting that 4th gen 4Runners (and pretty sure GXs) don't automatically lock the center diff in 4Lo.

Most 100 series are the same. I like not having it automatically lock. Helps with trails like black bear where you're going down a steep hill with 1-2 point switchbacks. Locked would make it way more difficult.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamedali2022