CAR OT Should I buy a 100/200 Series Lexus Land Cruiser or a GX470/GX460?

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
I would DEFINITELY prefer the width and stability of the 100 / 200 series over the narrow body GX series.

But then I do silly side angles on sand dunes with stuff on my roof rack, if you have to squeeze between stuff you might prefer the GX.

On road I definitely prefer the wider Cruiser. Both have a lot of body roll but with the 100 / 200 you learn to trust it and let it lean

If you're gonna load up the roof and aren't concerned about pin striping, go wide. Other than that, both are extremely capable.

wFGW8Mi.jpg

Do they require mud flaps on the road out there? I know they do in aus and my 100 series flaps sell well there. Curious about UAE/rest of that region.

imbored

Aug 11, 2005
OKC
they're down from last year considerably fyi

I know because I almost bought one and just couldn't bring myself to do it (also the guy was a chode)
:rly: well i'll have to check again. the GX always fit my life more in practicality terms than the 100/200s even though I'd rather a Cruiser all day.

Oman4x4

OT Supporter
Sep 22, 2004
Dubai / Oman / Saudi Arabia
I do actually live really close to the dunes and I've never been :hmm:

did you have a 100 series before the 200 series?

Never owned one but I did do a 10 day trip around the Sultanate of Oman in a rental one - great rigs. I'm looking out for a 105 someday - that has the solid front axle - super rare though.

The 200 is nicer and the crawl control is a clever cheat code to have, but a 100 series with lockers would go pretty much everywhere.

If you can get a 200 with the 5.7L you won't regret it. But if that's out of the budget or you wanna keep some more money aside for the build up - a 100 series is a great rig.

Both are extremely capable on sand if you deflate - just watch out for the plastic front bumper in ditches, and trim the rear mud-flaps so they don't drag in the sand and pop the rear bumper off. Never go in the dunes alone - but if you've got good people to lead the way and introduce you properly you'll have a great time.

Some basic tips:
No shame in taking a second run at something - things can get expensive if you go too fast and jump / land hard.
Never fight gravity - if you're not comfortable or struggling - turn down hill and have another go at it. Fighting up hill when it doesn't wanna do it is how you end up with a roll over.
Don't turn too aggressively with deflated tires - it can peel the tire off the rim.
No shame in getting stuck either - I'll take stuck over an expensive accident any day.
On the 200 at least, and in our market at least, there's an RSCA OFF button - that's the Roll-over Side Curtain Airbags - you want these OFF in the desert as there can be sudden bank angle changes that cause them to go off. You want to turn them off EVERY time you restart the vehicle on sand.
Take the time to learn all your buttons and things like centre diff lock / crawl control etc.

Oman4x4

OT Supporter
Sep 22, 2004
Dubai / Oman / Saudi Arabia
Do they require mud flaps on the road out there? I know they do in aus and my 100 series flaps sell well there. Curious about UAE/rest of that region.

Not required but they come with them - but by the time you're deflated and articulating they can scoop the sand a bit. Especially if you start to get bogged in.

In most cases we just trim off about 2/3rds to 3/4ths of what's visible and then leave them there - as you need them to finish off the rear bumper and provide some support. On mine because my fender flares don't play nice with the factory mud flaps, I've just got a 2D plastic filler plate to tie it all together.

Stock like below, it scoops sand and builds up enough load to rip the bumper corners away from the body / lights.

1663885120555.png

Reactions: Ramathorn15
TS
TS
CPTMULLET

CPTMULLET

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
Never owned one but I did do a 10 day trip around the Sultanate of Oman in a rental one - great rigs. I'm looking out for a 105 someday - that has the solid front axle - super rare though.

The 200 is nicer and the crawl control is a clever cheat code to have, but a 100 series with lockers would go pretty much everywhere.

If you can get a 200 with the 5.7L you won't regret it. But if that's out of the budget or you wanna keep some more money aside for the build up - a 100 series is a great rig.

Both are extremely capable on sand if you deflate - just watch out for the plastic front bumper in ditches, and trim the rear mud-flaps so they don't drag in the sand and pop the rear bumper off. Never go in the dunes alone - but if you've got good people to lead the way and introduce you properly you'll have a great time.

Some basic tips:
No shame in taking a second run at something - things can get expensive if you go too fast and jump / land hard.
Never fight gravity - if you're not comfortable or struggling - turn down hill and have another go at it. Fighting up hill when it doesn't wanna do it is how you end up with a roll over.
Don't turn too aggressively with deflated tires - it can peel the tire off the rim.
No shame in getting stuck either - I'll take stuck over an expensive accident any day.
On the 200 at least, and in our market at least, there's an RSCA OFF button - that's the Roll-over Side Curtain Airbags - you want these OFF in the desert as there can be sudden bank angle changes that cause them to go off. You want to turn them off EVERY time you restart the vehicle on sand.
Take the time to learn all your buttons and things like centre diff lock / crawl control etc.
you rock

I can swing a 570, but the mod budget would be tires at that point. From the sound of things that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Reactions: Oman4x4

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
Not required but they come with them - but by the time you're deflated and articulating they can scoop the sand a bit. Especially if you start to get bogged in.

In most cases we just trim off about 2/3rds to 3/4ths of what's visible and then leave them there - as you need them to finish off the rear bumper and provide some support. On mine because my fender flares don't play nice with the factory mud flaps, I've just got a 2D plastic filler plate to tie it all together.

Stock like below, it scoops sand and builds up enough load to rip the bumper corners away from the body / lights.

View attachment 261568

Ah, my kits are made to be removed before you hit the trails/sand. Good for areas where you need flaps on road by law or want to protect your paint.

Don't mind the rust, prototype steel. Final product is stainless.

7Fi8muJ_rgOICeVsxIVrXcIBA4QEJq7Egq3qZBT1aSvS6ZH8tKMBOE5eVjsMfuFor0ZBzTkfrXly98Q4YllhDrBiVaPEypHAOdQViZri-7mJeG359EmfbUeV2JPuoNkOYf6RfR33GrM=s0

8d1A2fMlJtsPR3_9r2AFCwUYvRCyAHv17MCsc4TQH1SFdrXRE3MWCPzM9FpK1vKQKCSyvsVanMUdTpEd8ycM9WBOo168daG0ZTvC24FZeJWz43bLm5HH-ddVRX26OS0IcVAVJlrkOZY=s0

jViAZZf8dqjx-4_ny6juxNa8CK0LTZYr34u73IyUfCN2PK11RSXtVenMM8WslG_lkkT04wKN3M0RaRP0JmZ9V-Sckd3mJfX_2KF2Ha70yyj-URYw4pY3fi7onbtX0tqNrqnbGOAc8Wk=s0

Reactions: XO

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
oh yeah I guess there's a lot of unspoken shit here, if I get a Lexus the actual first thing I'll do is buy a couple 6 packs of nice beer and bribe my mechanic friend to take a look at it/order me some LBJs :o

LBJ's arent an issue on the 100 or 200 like the other Toyotas, but definitely get someone to go over everything. Big thing with the LX will be to do a flush of the AHC system. Not difficult, but you'll be pressed to find a mechanic who knows how to do it. Best to just read the how tos on mud and diy.

Reactions: CPTMULLET
TS
TS
CPTMULLET

CPTMULLET

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
LBJ's arent an issue on the 100 or 200 like the other Toyotas, but definitely get someone to go over everything. Big thing with the LX will be to do a flush of the AHC system. Not difficult, but you'll be pressed to find a mechanic who knows how to do it. Best to just read the how tos on mud and diy.
If I can bribe someone who has done it a dozen times to baby sit me I will, if not I'll just make a mess in my driveway, idgaf :o

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
Buy an LX570. Don't settle, just be patient till you find the right one.

When I bought my 470 back in '15, before people even knew what they were, I spent over a year finding the right one. Took multiple trips to Colorado to look at ones only to turn back home empty handed. Finally found mine at Lexus of Scottsdale and it was clear the previous owner was a wealthy person who only saw it as a luxury barge. Every maintenance record from the same dealer, definitely garage kept, etc. I don't even think the back seats had been sat in before I got it.

jaunt

straight raw like a shamans feet
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Apache
Buy an LX570. Don't settle, just be patient till you find the right one.

When I bought my 470 back in '15, before people even knew what they were, I spent over a year finding the right one. Took multiple trips to Colorado to look at ones only to turn back home empty handed. Finally found mine at Lexus of Scottsdale and it was clear the previous owner was a wealthy person who only saw it as a luxury barge. Every maintenance record from the same dealer, definitely garage kept, etc. I don't even think the back seats had been sat in before I got it.
Im like this too, but for me it's sub $5k trucks šŸ˜†

Every now and then they pop up but they sell almost instantly. I think i paid $3800 for my 470

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.1 Copyright Ā© 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamedali2022