SRS Out of work OTers v. job search help

Normie

KungFlu Crew #002
OT Supporter
I know we have a bunch of OT members who have been impacted by layoffs etc in many sectors. I want to start this thread to say I will help you in any way I can to land the next job.

Need your resume reviewed, linkedin revamped, networking and or job opportunities, please post here, or PM me. I am hopeful that some others chime in here in other industries/geographical locations with the same offer to assist in any way we can.

Where I can help.

I have been in tech, telecom, financial and healthcare industries for quite some time, and have contacts that span those industries.

I have been both the hiring manager as well as the person looking for a new job, which means I have seen really good, bad and in between resumes.

I have had my linked in reviewed by a professional "profile" company and can give you pointers based on their "system".

I have had my share of interviews on both sides of the table, and am always willing to give you feedback, test questions or mock interviews should you need.

I also have done my fair share of interviews through teams/zoom/AIM chat so can give you pointers and feedback there too.

This thread may just drop to the bottom of page 935 by the end of the day, or it may be on the first page for months, but let us use some of our earmarked posting time, to help a brother/sister out.

Either way, I know the struggle and what it can put you through, so feel free to reach out and vent at the least.

***** LinkedIn Tips*****

Everyone knows about the magical 500 connections, what they don't tell you is to make a good majority of them relevant to your industry/job. I would say 75-80% should be in your industry/segment

It is also important to be following companies/individuals IN your industry

Get yourself at minimum 3 recommendations, write a few if you can as well

Don't just list places and dates of places you have worked. Sell yourself within, brag about your accomplishments, talk about how well you and the team got along, your boss etc etc

Be active, like, comment and share appropriate content; Don't go crazy or people will think you're a social media whore. And none of this cute puppy shit. Relevant and tailored posts/likes

profile pic.. No duck face selfies.. Be as professional as you can, put your goddamned personality into the photo (even if you're an introvert, smile)

Optimize your headline, this IS your personal brand.. Keywords here carry more weight

Make sure you have a customized URL linkedin.com/in/yourname and put that shit on your resume

Be consistent across the board. and get descriptive.. Add hobbies, training, education, certifications etc..

***** Resume Tips *****

Summary.. Sell yourself, sell your skills, certifications and personality. Make people want to read more.

More than one page.. It BETTER be worth it.. Mine is two but you bet your ass I have some banging projects on there where I highlight my capabilities, what I brought to the company, the ROI the company benefited from by having me, and items that showcase just how fucking awesome I am. I am not overly cocky in person, but when I am selling myself, I am a smug motherfucker. Always professional, but proud of my accomplishments. Do the same in your experience history. Let your accomplishments shine. If you use the word "we" you are doing something VERY WRONG here.

Experience, be very specific. Did you lead a team of twelve people through broken shards of burning glass and deliver the bosses lunch on time AND got a 20% discount for flirting with the girl at the counter. Be ultimately specific about YOUR actions in this, how YOU realized that 20% savings for your company. Fuck those twelve dudes. It's all about you here. If you have a long work history, keep the bullets very short and pointed. ALSO use software, technical abilities and whatever pertinent keywords that you can. Tie in your certs/skills to the actions you have done.

Education, yes, even if you didn't finish college, list that shit. Don't say you graduated, pop your GPA on there, explain what happened in the interview. make that shit spin positive though "I dropped out cause I was drinking too much" will NOT get them to waive the education requirement.. A life circumstance, lack of funds, a lucrative job offer.. All OK reasons to not have finished college. BUT YOU NEED TO GET YOUR FOOT IN THE DOOR!

Certifications/licenses List that shit at the bottom. Now if your industry is specifically tailored to only give jobs to those with XYZ certification, put it before your experience.

Last point.. Tailor your resume to every job application. If you, for example, are a mechanic. And you are applying to a service writers job... They don't give a fuck that you can work on a car, but they sure want to know how well you are at dealing with customers, scheduling etc, highlight those portions in each job that lead to being a service writer. If you are applying to work on heavy equipment. it's not a good idea to describe how you are awesome at changing batteries in hybrids, detail your heavy work.. Get the point? I make the effort to have 2-5 resumes written for each type of work I am looking for. Project Management, Technical, customer service etc etc. and leverage THAT resume for THAT posting.

Cover Letter... Don't talk to me about fucking cover letters. I have never once submitted for a job with a cover letter. The important ones were emailed to someone who knows the hiring manager, who then led in with an email to that person on why they are recommending the company hire me. Or I've straight dropped my resume into the application and gotten there on skills. The last two, no shit, have been unsolicited offers from Linkedin. Others will disagree with me and YMMV, but I don't fuck with cover letters. Period.

***** Interview Questions ***** (new post for editing)

That should get most of you started

Last edited:

Meowzers

OT Supporter
Mar 18, 2005
Yall I have some knives to sell. But for real I might hit you up in 2 months because sometimes I don't know if there will be a "lock on the door" at work one day....

I<3URANUS

I can ride my bike with no handlebars.
OT Supporter
Sep 17, 2002
Dallas, TX
I know we have a bunch of OT members who have been impacted by layoffs etc in many sectors. I want to start this thread to say I will help you in any way I can to land the next job.

Need your resume reviewed, linkedin revamped, networking and or job opportunities, please post here, or PM me. I am hopeful that some others chime in here in other industries/geographical locations with the same offer to assist in any way we can.

Where I can help.

I have been in tech, telecom, financial and healthcare industries for quite some time, and have contacts that span those industries.

I have been both the hiring manager as well as the person looking for a new job, which means I have seen really good, bad and in between resumes.

I have had my linked in reviewed by a professional "profile" company and can give you pointers based on their "system".

I have had my share of interviews on both sides of the table, and am always willing to give you feedback, test questions or mock interviews should you need.

I also have done my fair share of interviews through teams/zoom/AIM chat so can give you pointers and feedback there too.

This thread may just drop to the bottom of page 935 by the end of the day, or it may be on the first page for months, but let us use some of our earmarked posting time, to help a brother/sister out.

Either way, I know the struggle and what it can put you through, so feel free to reach out and vent at the least.
Awesome.

If you need help reviewing or just someone to take a look at something let me know. I've been in the staffing industry for almost a decade now and have helped multiple OTers with resume and interview advice. I'm happy to assist here too.

I have experience with telecom, IT, and executive staffing.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Normie

Aznpho

Not Currently in Use
Aug 29, 2001
Metro East STL
Thanks for offering this help.
i’m looking for new opportunities in healthcare tech/software in the near future so I’ll remember this and hit you up when the time comes.

Lethal

OT Supporter
Sep 6, 2003
Tell me more about these AIM Chat interviews

no but real talk, this is awesome. I may be hitting you up

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448