SRS Over the past month I've replied to 30 job postings.

Acciaio

Mar 12, 2010
Seattle
........ and now they are starting to ask for interviews. Like ALL of them. I guess when I didn't hear back right away from the first ten I just thought I would keep trying. Well turns out it takes some time to go through the applicants and now a bunch of these companies that I had forgotten I applied to are wanting to do phone/ in person interviews.

Well, the reason I started looking for a job was that my current job reduced my hours by half because of slow business. So I was looking for a job that was full time and paid more that what I am currently making. The problem is that the range in pay for the companies I applied to is HUGE. From 15/hr to 45k a year...... and I don't remember which figure goes with what company since the ads have since been removed.

What the fuck should I do? How can I be enthusiastic during a job interview when I could have a better opportunity somewhere else? Asking about salary is literally the last thing you talk about in an interview, so gawd I'm screwed.

They are all admin/exec assistant positions so it's even harder to tell them apart. I don't want to accept a position knowing that I could have made the wrong choice.

OH and besides all of that: I'm nervous as hell for the phone interviews. I have social anxiety just for PHONE conversations. I'm sharp/clever/etc when it comes to the in person interview but I stutter and lose my train of thought when I'm on the phone. That is even with having things written down in front of my while I'm doing the interview.

I got a call from one company today requesting a phone interview today. Well I called back and got her voicemail, and I know I sounded unbelieveably unhireable on the phone.

Anyone been in a similar situation? How did you choose who to interview with and how did you prepare for the interview?

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
You can say you noticed a large range of salaries for the job and ask them what sorts of skills and qualifications they would take into consideration when determining what offer to make to a potential employee. Then you can specifically address which of those skills and qualifications you actually possess. You should be able to get a pretty good feel for where you'd land on the pay scale based on your quals without actually having to ask point-blank.

Tell them you'd prefer an in-person interview because you like to interact with people face-to-face.

TS
TS

Acciaio

Mar 12, 2010
Seattle
Thanks. She hasn't called me back. Maybe I should take a shot before making the call next time or masturbate or something. Oh well. At least I'm not YET desperate for a job. I have a couple months to figure shit out.

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
You don't have to wait for her to call you back. You can call her back again to clarify things you said before and add some new info she might be interested to know. The worst that can happen is you don't get hired, the best that can happen is you do get hired. Do the math.

saabguy

Saab-free since 2013. Mortgage guru
OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
Loserville. Population: 1
how about just say "i apologize, i've got several interesting interviews lined up, including yours and I'm trying to confirm everything. Can you refresh me on what qualifications/requirements/opportunities/income are for this position? Honestly, it took so long to get a call back that i discarded the information for the position, and the online posting has already been removed. Thanks!"

saabguy

Saab-free since 2013. Mortgage guru
OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
Loserville. Population: 1
if it's good: "great, that's what I thought I remembered. I'd love the opportunity to talk with you more about the position."

if it's not good: "ok, thanks for clarifying. i actually have a few other irons in the fire for positions that i think are a little more appealing to me, but i do appreciate you getting back to me."

TS
TS

Acciaio

Mar 12, 2010
Seattle
You don't have to wait for her to call you back. You can call her back again to clarify things you said before and add some new info she might be interested to know. The worst that can happen is you don't get hired, the best that can happen is you do get hired. Do the math.

Well I had 3 shots of yummy captain morgans, caught up on some episodes of top gear uk, and took a nap. My girlfriend came and woke me up at 4 and said "Call her again". So I said fuck it and called her. She said she was going through literally hundreds of applicants and had narrowed it down to a couple dozen to call. The rest of the interview went FUCKING BAUCE! I was totally calm and cool, answered all of her questions, asked a few of my own, got her to open up a bit and laugh. I'll be really surprised if I don't get a call for an in person interview this next week.

Thanks for your advice guys. This one pays the most and has the best benefits, so if I get hired here I'm just gonna let the other companies down gently.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan