TECH Overclocking question

Caanon

OT Supporter
Nov 16, 2003
So I'm stuck with a C2duo system for awhile, bought a nice heatsink that will be compatible with a future system.

System seems completely stable and cool at 3.6 Ghz and will not Boot or Post at 3.65 Ghz. From the little I know I suspect it is the motherboard/northbridge, the system was a free gift and doesn't have a high end board. Would that seem an accurate guess? Also If I'm so close to the Northbridge's limit is there any risk of staying at where I'm at long term, or just as long as it works now it should be fine?

Thanks for any help.

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
Heat isn't what makes systems unstable, speed is what makes them unstable. Heat is just a side effect of the higher voltages necessary to make CPUs run faster.

The difference between 3.6GHz and 3.65GHz is just 0.05GHz, right? Yes, except 0.05GHz is 50 million extra clock cycles per second. Apparently your CPU isn't made of unobtanium, because its transistors can't reliably perform that many more calculations each second.

Transistors age and slow down over time. Overclocking ages them faster. If I'm reading between the lines correctly, you can't afford to replace this machine if you fry it right now, so maybe you should play it safe and be glad you have a computer that runs. If it makes you feel better, my desktop is an Athlon XP and my laptop is a Pentium 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterparl19