CAR Oxidation *pics*

fixthe fernback

Jun 16, 2006
What's going to be the best way to fix this oxidation on the hood/front bumper of my Miata? It's a single stage paint. You can't really see if if you stand 10 feed back, but under harsh unnatural light it's pretty obvious. It looks like leaves sat on the car for a while.

KBdUh.jpg

bEL1O.jpg

uFp8k.jpg

NSliz.jpg

sryRB.jpg

9zRrD.jpg

thescott

Feb 26, 2011
I had the same thing on my previous car.
I didn't know you could fix that.. always thought I'd need to get it painted but it wasn't worth my while so I never got to it.

Any idea what's causing it? I want to prevent it from happening again.

TS
TS
fixthe fernback

fixthe fernback

Jun 16, 2006
I've never seen blotchy oxidation. Are you sure that's not your clear coat failing?
It's not a clear coat paint.

So my friend and I tried some mothers paint cleaner with a buffer and it did nothing. Then we tried some mothers polish with said orbital and it also did nothing. Finally, we applied some cleaner wax and it still looks the same. It looks shiny from 10 feet back and when driving it, but under hard, unnatural light it looks horrendous. Any ideas what it could be? It might not be oxidation.

Does anyone know a good pro in the west chicagoland area?

rebs

Fuck them Cowboys
OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2003
Ca
I just removed a LOAD of that with megs Ultimate compound and a 7424xp with a yellow pad. I .couldnt get it all however so im trying megs105 next.

in fact heres a before pic, and somewhat of an after.

4i0gfq.jpg

2ngsnmf.jpg

TS
TS
fixthe fernback

fixthe fernback

Jun 16, 2006
Is the color of the car showing on the pads when you try to polish the paint? If not, then the paint is clear coated and you have clear coat failure.
We were using a brown pad and only tried polishing for a few minutes. My friend said he thought the pad was starting to turn blue, while I wasn't so sure... I'll try to take a piece of clay and see if it turns blue this week. It's not supposed to be clear cloat...

TS
TS
fixthe fernback

fixthe fernback

Jun 16, 2006
Would a clay bar turn blue? I tried it tonight and the clay remained yellow... there was a super thick coat of wax on it though...

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan