LOVE PDA at work

BTCollins

I met a gypsy and she hipped me to some life game
Sep 20, 2007
Orlando, FL
Not sure if this has ever came up in discussion here but how do you guys (who are in a relationship or have been) feel about PDA in a work environment?

I have been seeing a guy for about a year and half now and this has came up maybe 2 or 3 times. He knows a lot of the people I work with and likes to show up at my office unannounced with gifts or take me to lunch. While I love the idea and general kindess of this, it puts me into a super awkward position to deal with. Im out to my friends and family but I feel like I need to keep my personal life away from my work life and when he's here it feels like theres a huge elephant in the room and I'm not sure how to deal with it. I explained to him that I don't want this to happen because I still feel that regardless of what my superiors say, I will still be judged about my orientation when it comes to my work performance and he doesn't understand what I mean and is pretty upset with me right now.

TL;DR - Am I an asshole for not wanting to advertise that I am gay at work? Does anyone else do this?

Sam Gamgee

Every tool is weapon if you hold it right.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Western MA
I'm out of the closet at work so I wouldn't mind (when I was in a relationship) when he stopped by. I'd give him a hug or a quick kiss as he left. But, it was never blatant (just as I'd hope that a straight couple wouldn't be blatant about PDA's at work)

But, plenty of people get flowers at work. If I got flowers at work, it'd be a non-issue since everyone knows.

Sam Gamgee

Every tool is weapon if you hold it right.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Western MA
I should add that I'm a civil engineer... and engineers, as a rule, are straight, white, men who aren't comfortable with people who are different. Many times there has been uncomfortable laughter from someone in the office when I say or do something overtly gay (like wear a Wonder Woman snuggie at Christmas that my Secret Santa got me).

But, I guess that since I have no shame about that side of my life, I never feel the need to feel second-class about my relationship at work.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan