GAME People who have completed FFXIII get in here

Barkode

Dec 17, 2003
Pittsburgh
I've been watching some gameplay vids recently, and want to get some opinions. I understand it's 20+ hours of linear boredom until the game opens up on Pulse. How much content does the hunts afford you? I'm a big fan of games like Star Oceans with a big postgame focus on hard bosses and equipment customization and XIII kinda seems like that, but if its over before it even starts that would suck.

Any other opinions a from people who've gone this far would be appreciated. Considering buying it

Rivers

THROW AWAY LOGIC AND KICK REASON TO THE CURB
Jan 11, 2007
Get ready for the longest tutorial evar

Rivers

THROW AWAY LOGIC AND KICK REASON TO THE CURB
Jan 11, 2007
FFX Appreciation thread??? FFX Appreciation thread???

TS
TS
Barkode

Barkode

Dec 17, 2003
Pittsburgh
mr-mcfeely.jpg

Rivers112 in his natural environment

TeKKy

Wut
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
In a van down by the river
The game is extremely linear. Be very aware of that. Even when it opens up, it's still just one big map in gran pulse and then traveling to different locations to hunt marks. The story is not memorable at all, in fact I don't even remember it except for the stupid tatoos all the main characters had. There is no gold from enemies. Only way to get gold is to sell items or find it in treasures and it's advisable not to sell any accessories unless you know for sure you have doubles. Even then I wouldn't advise it. That's pretty much it for con's.

The battle system was the part that kept me coming back to this game. Setting up proper paradigms can be the deciding factor in winning and losing a fight. It really added a level of depth that was very fun, interesting, and challenging. The early mark missions are easy. Late game you will find the later mark missions, 40-64, start to get challenging and tough to 5 star without the proper strategy. Leveling items up is a bore and should only be done end game because it's a waste of money early game. Weapons and accessories sometimes synergize and give you special abilities. Each base weapon of a character has a different ability which you may find useful but you tend to only want to level up your main weapon with the best ability. The others need to get level'd up if you are attempting the treasure hunter achivement. Every strategy I read on a certain mark, I think 64, told me a proper strategy to win. It never worked. I found out a way to do it on my own with a different strategy and it worked perfectly.

If you have other questions just ask.

TeKKy

Wut
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
In a van down by the river
So if I play for the gameplay and survive the first 20 hours I'm good?
If you like end game challenges, then yes. The customization of battles is what made it fun for me. Constantly switching paradigms and figuring out the best strategy for the fight. Some boss battles can make you rage :hsugh:

Leveling up any equipment before end game is worthless. Trust me on this do not waste gold or reactants.

FunkyMunniez

Mar 15, 2008
the marks can pretty much take up 10 hours in of themselves post game. if you plan on platinum, expect a shitload of time to be dumped in because of grinding. I plat'd at about 90 hours.

and to be honest, the hardest enemies post game is the long gui and the shao long gui. 99% of the marks go down without much fuss. I reserve 1 % for the fucking giant cactuar and the thing with the two things in one battle that have a magic shield that you cant cast or fight through

FunkyMunniez

Mar 15, 2008
5 starring all the marks can be pretty difficult though.

If you decide to want to plat the game, make sure you keep at least 1 of every item you get. there are certain ones that you can only get like 3 of the entire game that need to be upgraded and if you sell them, from the way i read the charts, you need to start over for the treasure hunter trophy.

Overall I'd say if you liked FFX and the way the gameplay mechanics worked there, you'd enjoy XIII. They're more or less the same with the battle system modeled more off of X-2.

FunkyMunniez

Mar 15, 2008
All in all what I enjoyed most about the game was mark hunting and the strategy of paradigms like tekky did. Had more fun with that than the story.

Lukkie

OT Supporter
Apr 1, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I beat the game, liked it a lot. I enjoyed the linear part of the game much more than the open Gran Pulse grinding bs but I figure you might enjoy that since you liked WKC so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor