fatmoocow

bored
OT Supporter
Aug 27, 2002
the intarweb
You don’t have to be a pri elitist to understand that 90% of the population rotates the same direction.

The differences are in how you compensate for the asymmetry, but you give most people a couple common exercises and odds are decent they improve.

“The direction of curves in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis is remarkably consistent. Ninety percent of thoracic curves are to the right.16 Therefore, left thoracic curves should raise a red flag and prompt more extensive evaluation.”

fatmoocow

bored
OT Supporter
Aug 27, 2002
the intarweb
I had no idea so many bros here do the oly. You boyz competing much?
@fatmoocow @$ean @kenmei

I advise and spent a lot of time with a few elite olifting coaches. I fucked around with it but mostly power lifted back in the day.

My back won’t tolerate laying in bed now much less power cleans.

I used to deadlift 4x per week.

My bros used to steal all the local CrossFit clients and get them to come to his gym to olift. God I miss seeing the CrossFit girls.

Reactions: 2000GT

kenmei

Squatty Potty
OT Supporter
Mar 10, 2003
Bay Area, CA
I'm going to go ahead and appologize in advance for the autism canon I'm about to fire, but...

I'm not diagnosing based on the picture. Everyone has this asymmetry and people usually fall into a relatively small number of compensation patterns. This is straight PRI which is based on 11ty years of research on how people move.

Shoulder mobility is driven by spine and shoulder position. Rotation in the spine alters the position of the rib cage and it's mobility. The position of the rib cage alters the mobility of each shoulder.

Your "incorrect form" you see in the shoulder and elbow is just normal rotation of the spine and it's accompanying changes in shoulder mobility.

I'm pretty rusty at my PRI knowledge, but spent plenty of time with world class o-lifting coaches. Hell I've coached a legit olifting coach or two, because even the experts do really dumb shit. I've never met a group of people who love to crank on shoulders unnecessarily than o-lifting coaches.

You can definitely make changes by giving a shoulder based instruction, altering position of the shoulder, or tearing up tissue, but usually you're just adding a further compensation.

Instead if you can coach someone into a more neutral position, get their rib cage back to planet earth, you can get appropriate shoulder rotation. Addressing proximal causes before distal is movement 101. You automatically get free shoulder mobility without changing anything in the shoulder by simply changing the position of the ribs.

O-lifting is in general a poor exercise choice, particularly in this example. You're adding speed and dynamic movement to a complex compound exercise that requires a high degree of skill. Most people are incapable of performing basic movements non-explosively often in semi-supported positions.

I'd guess this girl can't squat without rotating away from her left leg. If she can't do that, she shouldn't be doing it explosively. So you'd go all the way back down the progression until she's able to do it cleanly. Then you train the shit out of that left adductor, external obliques, and so on...on the ground in a stable position and then work up with less and less stability.

This is the real issue though. She probably isn't ready to olift. All the corrections that need to be made should have been made during the build up to easier exercises which she probably isn't ready for yet.

And all of this is for what? You aren't going to get hypertrophy raping your CNS. You can't max out because form has to be maintained, so again, no hypertrophy. You can't do it for long periods of time, so it's not ideal for cardio or fat loss. You could train for explosive power...in a weak woman who isn't strong and isn't a wide receiver in the NFL. If she was an elite athlete in the NFL, she would need explosive power, but you're more likely to get injuries olifting vs just doing box jumps or similar, so it's not worth the risk to a valuable athlete. My NBA guys don't really even deadlift.

So in summary, get her control over the hips, left adductor, right glute, obliques, do PRI.
I respect it. And like you said it is a complex compound lift that requires a high degree of skill. Which I think we are addressing it from two different angles. Mine is the skill and technique perspective (what I have exp with) and yours is from a body/muscle composition perspective (DNS/PRI/CNS).

$ean

Nov 1, 2013
I advise and spent a lot of time with a few elite olifting coaches. I fucked around with it but mostly power lifted back in the day.

My bros used to steal all the local CrossFit clients and get them to come to his gym to olift. God I miss seeing the CrossFit girls.
What weightlifting coaches have you worked with?

kenmei

Squatty Potty
OT Supporter
Mar 10, 2003
Bay Area, CA

never gets old

2000GT

Jan 21, 2001
I switched to CrossFit to address my weight struggles and get better cardio (for soccer and cycling). :hsd:

I really miss oly lifting these days. My knees don't tho.
I really want to switch too. I’m sick of oly, but I’m determined to head to Florida in December and do worlds masters and not be a complete flop.

2000GT

Jan 21, 2001

I’m always sore. Always.

Reactions: fatmoocow

kenmei

Squatty Potty
OT Supporter
Mar 10, 2003
Bay Area, CA
I really want to switch too. I’m sick of oly, but I’m determined to head to Florida in December and do worlds masters and not be a complete flop.

That's awesome. Competing in masters would be cool as hell. What are your current pb's?

in CF I typically smoke the strength portions and get wrecked in the metcons, but have made noticeable improvements over the year. It's super humbling when they incorporate compounds or Oly movements into a WOD and the weight looks light but you quickly find out its a diff story when you have a 170bpm heart rate :rofl:

fatmoocow

bored
OT Supporter
Aug 27, 2002
the intarweb
I respect it. And like you said it is a complex compound lift that requires a high degree of skill. Which I think we are addressing it from two different angles. Mine is the skill and technique perspective (what I have exp with) and yours is from a body/muscle composition perspective (DNS/PRI/CNS).

This is fair.

Sometimes you just want to olift because you want to olift. So you patch it together and just do it. Perhaps because you want to impress CrossFit girls for example.

If you want specific adaptations, then the strategy that maximizes those adaptations may be very different.

Often you can get a sort of free “technique” change without coaching technique by altering position, rom, etc.

Neither are necessarily easy to get to stick.

Reactions: kenmei

kenmei

Squatty Potty
OT Supporter
Mar 10, 2003
Bay Area, CA
This is fair.

Sometimes you just want to olift because you want to olift. So you patch it together and just do it. Perhaps because you want to impress CrossFit girls for example.

If you want specific adaptations, then the strategy that maximizes those adaptations may be very different.

Often you can get a sort of free “technique” change without coaching technique by altering position, rom, etc.

Neither are necessarily easy to get to stick.

especially with developed bad habits or physical/mobility limitations

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kingdee