Buzz Killington

𝖕𝖊𝖈𝖈𝖆𝖛𝖎
9 years ago today I posted this on my FB :rofl:

week 1,,you will feel pumped but insted of bloofy feel of testosterona pump you will have the feeling of pump from the inside of the muscle while the more self knowing individuals who recognize changes fast will notice their face ...yes their face taking a diff look ,,they will be the only ones who notice it ,,it is something you notice personaly since it is only the beggining and no one else that see you will notice ,,they will think you are crazy if you tell them anythign so keep it to yourself,,face iwll start getting the high boxer type of look,,hard to explain ,,it is week one so nothing visual yet aside from pump ...

• Haha
Reactions: SquirtRussel

sans_pants

I don't want any damn vegetables
OT Supporter
May 2, 2002
im feeling kinda stuck getting back into squatting. putting heavy weight on my spine no longer really appeals to me. am i justified doing other stuff? maybe deadlifts instead?

sans_pants

I don't want any damn vegetables
OT Supporter
May 2, 2002
It depends on your goals

im just here for general health, sustaining as much muscle as possible while dropping fat. i do 3 days a week, push pull legs. i dont do much volume. i also play basketball on my gym days and have had such sore legs from that i have to skip leg days every once in a while

i used to go really heavy on squats and sacrifice depth, but i've been focusing on depth now and not worrying about the numbers as much. but whenever i go above 225 i start getting a little iffy

have never had back problems in my life and wanna keep it that way

obscure/renegade

Don't mind me.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2004
Georgia
im just here for general health, sustaining as much muscle as possible while dropping fat. i do 3 days a week, push pull legs. i dont do much volume. i also play basketball on my gym days and have had such sore legs from that i have to skip leg days every once in a while

i used to go really heavy on squats and sacrifice depth, but i've been focusing on depth now and not worrying about the numbers as much. but whenever i go above 225 i start getting a little iffy

Disclaimer: I'm not the expert/coach that @Ceaze is

My goals are similar. I won't ever prep or be in a competition, I only want to be healthy/mobile and to look good naked for my woman. That's it. For reference, I'll be 48 in a few months.

I switched from squats to deadlifts for my larger lifts, and everything improved for me in terms of daily life. Knees, back, neck, all of it felt much better on a week-to-week basis.

Squats took a larger toll on me as time went on, despite going from high bar to low bar and hiring a coach to perfect my form. Random, sharp spinal issues that reduced my ability to work in other areas was the major factor.

Neo22

Dec 20, 2003
The land of confusion

Squats are really only necessary for powerlifters and oly lifters. Instead of loading up on back squats switch to rfe split squats, front rack reverse lunge or split squats and if you must front squat. Hip and core stability will save your spine I promise

Neo22

Dec 20, 2003
The land of confusion
Disclaimer: I'm not the expert/coach that @Ceaze is

My goals are similar. I won't ever prep or be in a competition, I only want to be healthy/mobile and to look good naked for my woman. That's it. For reference, I'll be 48 in a few months.

I switched from squats to deadlifts for my larger lifts, and everything improved for me in terms of daily life. Knees, back, neck, all of it felt much better on a week-to-week basis.

Squats took a larger toll on me as time went on, despite going from high bar to low bar and hiring a coach to perfect my form. Random, sharp spinal issues that reduced my ability to work in other areas was the major factor.
Coach needs to address your hips and pelvis

$ean

Nov 1, 2013
Squats are really only necessary for powerlifters and oly lifters. Instead of loading up on back squats switch to rfe split squats, front rack reverse lunge or split squats and if you must front squat. Hip and core stability will save your spine I promise
Split squats are still squats :)

aloe

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2002
Dallas, Tejas
Yeah @aloe 365x6 isn't exactly garbage, but I know what you mean. We have a guy in our gym that goes 540x5 tempo and it's like WELP :rofl:
Yea it’s definitely a reminder that we all are different and that’s it’s ok because it’s not supposed to be comparing to one another to the point of being discouraging. I’m 5’7 @ 183lbs right now so I can be happy with the 365.

Strength is coming back on flat DB presses after my Vacation hiatus a few weeks ago.

Big day for me yesterday

Warm ups:
35x8
55x8
75x8

Working:
85x8
85x8
85x8
85x8

Went to push for top sets at 5lb increments at 5 reps. If I could do 5 reps, I’d go up 5lbs and repeat
90x5
95x4.5

Thought I was gonna get to attempt 100s for the first time, but no dice. Still super happy because I haven’t really ever repped 95s any

Last edited:

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
fat fuck crew signing in

Month ago was 6'4" 283, currently 266. Try to keep this as quick and short as I can, which is unpossible for me

Backstory if you care: Been trying to get my shit together as I've let my eating issues get the best of me for months, gained half the weight back I lost over the last 6-12 months. I'm so used to losing weight so fast and even after losing nearly 10 pounds in 48 hours of water weight, losing almost a pound every day. When I lost 150 pounds 3 years ago (in 7 months :o ), even as I got smaller I'd still lose 3-5 pounds a week. My absolute bottom was 215 after a multi day fast on keto, with only walking 7.5 miles every night. Everyone was telling me I was too skinny, which makes me lol at all the traditional height/weight charts. The highest any of them say anyone who's 6'4" should weigh is 203 :rofl: Been averaging ~250 the last year or two, got down to 235 last year and for the first time built some arm muscles. Nothing great for sure, but some decent shape to delts and biceps. Did all that with 30lb dumbbells and doing pushups.

Now: Trying to get my shit together for a vacation in less then 2 weeks, and then going out on the party boat 3 weeks after that, and by FAR most importantly trying to get in the long term habit of going to the gym, better diet and lifting. So at first I lost 11 pounds of water weight in 48 hours from 283>272. I've almost exclusively been doing lifting. Little cardio in the beginning, sometimes I start or end lifting with a little cardio. Gym is closed Fri/Sat night, so I try to go out and walk a few miles at least one of those nights. I've been stuck at like 266 for like 3 weeks. I'm struggling not seeing the scale drop at all. I keep trying to tell myself its because I'm losing fat and adding muscle, but its been so different and challenging wanting to get in shape and look better, and feeling like I've made no progress and am still a fat fuck. I know my arms are getting bigger though. Just trying to keep pressing on.

I'll split more into another post to try not to have a wall of text....

Reactions: obscure/renegade

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
Trying to do things better or the right way to try and get good results and be able to sustain results and what I'm doing. Could use any and all help and tips, and I would be nice to have some bros to bounce some shit off and make sure I'm doing stuff right. I've just never entered the lifting type world ever. Remember when it comes to this I'm an absolute newb and idiot, so be nice :rofl:

I'm trying to lose all my fat, and gain muscle...... I realize these are opposite ideas and things and from what I've read, maybe the only reason this can even be a thing is because I'm a fat fuck, and have little muscle. I can only go so far doing this until I really need to pick a direction I guess. Someone said to maybe focus on lifting first, try to have a caloric deficit still while getting plenty of brotien and after 1-2 months reassess and maybe focus on either lifting or cutting. Also that I could lose fat better/faster if I had more muscle mass first.

Been trying to do ~.8g of Brotien per pound which is around 200g+ I have a tub of ON BCAA capsules I take pre/post lifting.
Finishing off some old protein stuff laying around and I just ordered a bunch of stuff from MyProtien. Whey Isolate, Casein, Creatine, EAAs and a pre workout to try. IDK about a pre workout, I do take an EC stack 2-3x a day including prior to the gym. Aware of not getting too much caffeine by combining the two. I've taken an EC stack off and on for years and years.

I try to carb load/spike my insulin after a workout as someone told me, so I eat 2 pieces of white bread with honey on it on my way home, and then make a protien shake when I get home. I initially thought wtf when someone told me this, but then I remembered Timberwolf on here used to eat Krispy Kreme after lifting :rofl:

Been ending up around 2000 calories a day maybe a bit more. Calorie/macro amount may be my biggest area of being unsure of wtf to do especially considering I'm trying to lose fat and gain muscle. I've looked at the calculators, but I'm not really sure if the lose weight or gain weight setting really apply?

Breakfast: Coffee with protein powder
Lunch: chicken and mixed veggies, often 1 or 2 protien shakes
Dinner: Some mix of Peanut butter/Chicken and veggies/Protien shake. Sadly Its mostly just been PB and protien shakes for dinner. I need to stop eating so much PB
Pre Gym: EC stack and sometimes a whey protien shake. Last time or two I actually took it to the gym and put a some honey in it thinking it would keep my insulin spiked and give me protien along the way? Maybe this is retarded idk
Post gym: see above

An issue that I'm aware of but dont know how much of a problem is or if there's a solution. I dont go to the gym until like 1130pm or midnight. Workout for an hour or so, eat/drink the things immediately after. Usually go to sleep by 2am, so theres only an hour between a honey sandwich, protien and bed. Usually about 6 hours of sleep. Thats because I dont get home until 7pm or so and my gf falls asleep at like 11. So the only time we have to spend together all week are those 4 hours which can also include time we may be showering or eating. So if I tried to go to the gym when I got home, I'd basically never see her. She tries to get all of her shit done when I'm gone so we can actually see each other.

Anyway I'm open to any comments, tips, ideas or threats.

obscure/renegade

Don't mind me.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2004
Georgia
Coach needs to address your hips and pelvis
Well he's not coach any longer, he pulled some dumb shit and he's off doing a dime for the state.

You're thinking mobility issues, maybe? I'm all ears. High bar makes my neck go numb for hours, and I'd rather not risk that shit.

obscure/renegade

Don't mind me.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2004
Georgia
Yea it’s definitely a reminder that we all are different and that’s it’s ok because it’s not supposed to be comparing to one another to the point of being discouraging. I’m 5’7 @ 183lbs right now so I can be happy with the 365.

Strength is coming back on flat DB presses after my Vacation hiatus a few weeks ago.

Big day for me yesterday

Warm ups:
35x8
55x8
75x8

Working:
85x8
85x8
85x8
85x8

Went to push for top sets at 5lb increments at 5 reps. If I could do 5 reps, I’d go up 5lbs and repeat
90x5
95x4.5

Thought I was gonna get to attempt 100s for the first time, but no dice. Still super happy because I haven’t really ever repped 95s any
That's excellent numbers on the rack for your frame, big respect here. The guy I referenced is 6'2 and probably 225-230, lean. his lifts blow me away. And he's super chill, always helpful to boot.

Your working set is higher than my top set lmao, I am in a cutting prog right now :wtcd:doing 3x12 @ 60 with 2 RIR for this week. And IMO repping above 80 on DBs is the benchmark; you've got to have actual power to do those cleanly/with tempo, much less your 4x8.

Reactions: aloe

obscure/renegade

Don't mind me.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2004
Georgia
Trying to do things better or the right way to try and get good results and be able to sustain results and what I'm doing. Could use any and all help and tips, and I would be nice to have some bros to bounce some shit off and make sure I'm doing stuff right. I've just never entered the lifting type world ever. Remember when it comes to this I'm an absolute newb and idiot, so be nice :rofl:

I'm trying to lose all my fat, and gain muscle...... I realize these are opposite ideas and things and from what I've read, maybe the only reason this can even be a thing is because I'm a fat fuck, and have little muscle. I can only go so far doing this until I really need to pick a direction I guess. Someone said to maybe focus on lifting first, try to have a caloric deficit still while getting plenty of brotien and after 1-2 months reassess and maybe focus on either lifting or cutting. Also that I could lose fat better/faster if I had more muscle mass first.

Been trying to do ~.8g of Brotien per pound which is around 200g+ I have a tub of ON BCAA capsules I take pre/post lifting.
Finishing off some old protein stuff laying around and I just ordered a bunch of stuff from MyProtien. Whey Isolate, Casein, Creatine, EAAs and a pre workout to try. IDK about a pre workout, I do take an EC stack 2-3x a day including prior to the gym. Aware of not getting too much caffeine by combining the two. I've taken an EC stack off and on for years and years.

I try to carb load/spike my insulin after a workout as someone told me, so I eat 2 pieces of white bread with honey on it on my way home, and then make a protien shake when I get home. I initially thought wtf when someone told me this, but then I remembered Timberwolf on here used to eat Krispy Kreme after lifting :rofl:

Been ending up around 2000 calories a day maybe a bit more. Calorie/macro amount may be my biggest area of being unsure of wtf to do especially considering I'm trying to lose fat and gain muscle. I've looked at the calculators, but I'm not really sure if the lose weight or gain weight setting really apply?

Breakfast: Coffee with protein powder
Lunch: chicken and mixed veggies, often 1 or 2 protien shakes
Dinner: Some mix of Peanut butter/Chicken and veggies/Protien shake. Sadly Its mostly just been PB and protien shakes for dinner. I need to stop eating so much PB
Pre Gym: EC stack and sometimes a whey protien shake. Last time or two I actually took it to the gym and put a some honey in it thinking it would keep my insulin spiked and give me protien along the way? Maybe this is retarded idk
Post gym: see above

An issue that I'm aware of but dont know how much of a problem is or if there's a solution. I dont go to the gym until like 1130pm or midnight. Workout for an hour or so, eat/drink the things immediately after. Usually go to sleep by 2am, so theres only an hour between a honey sandwich, protien and bed. Usually about 6 hours of sleep. Thats because I dont get home until 7pm or so and my gf falls asleep at like 11. So the only time we have to spend together all week are those 4 hours which can also include time we may be showering or eating. So if I tried to go to the gym when I got home, I'd basically never see her. She tries to get all of her shit done when I'm gone so we can actually see each other.

Anyway I'm open to any comments, tips, ideas or threats.
I'll read through this more thoroughly later, but I'm a former fatass. I was 261 @ 5'11, 38% BF. Got down to 191 @ 9% BF. Did a crazy bulk this past winter, sitting @ 216 and 15% and currently cutting to 205.

Some easy things to take away are:
  1. You need more sleep, that's when growth and repair happen
  2. Get a DEXA scan and find out what your resting cal burn is and then-->
  3. Get MyFitnessPal and a scale, you are eating more than you think you are and you need to measure EVERYTHING

More later, I have a full day

Reactions: aloe

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
I'll read through this more thoroughly later, but I'm a former fatass. I was 261 @ 5'11, 38% BF. Got down to 191 @ 9% BF. Did a crazy bulk this past winter, sitting @ 216 and 15% and currently cutting to 205.

Some easy things to take away are:
  1. You need more sleep, that's when growth and repair happen
  2. Get a DEXA scan and find out what your resting cal burn is and then-->
  3. Get MyFitnessPal and a scale, you are eating more than you think you are and you need to measure EVERYTHING

More later, I have a full day
Thanks.

Definaltey on the more sleep. Average 6-7 during the week and 8-12 on the weekend sometimes :rofl: That is one thing I read, and I'm trying to do better. My timeline is just fucked since I'm an insomniac by nature, and take EC at 11pm at the earliest before going to the gym. Obviously I'm not going to fall asleep 15 mins after I get home anyway, usually its at least an hour later at like 2ish. I know this isnt ideal for a few reasons but it seems like my only realistic option that I'll do, and not let perfect be the enemy of good etc

I'll look into whats involved in getting a DEXA. I also think I'd like to go get some labs done. I used to annually for my health insurance rate requirements, but it's been 2-3 years, and I haven't had a real MD appt for like 15 years :o Few reasons I need to get off my ass and do that. I've thought about test, but I just dont know if thats something I want to mess with.

Been using MyFitnessPal religiously and do every time I'm trying to do well. I was actually going to ask here if theres anything better ya'll like. I used to use MyCarbManager when I did keto since it did net carbs. MFP free version seems to be fine and it lets me track Macros....which I still dont really know what my real goal should be at this moment.

fatmoocow

bored
OT Supporter
Aug 27, 2002
the intarweb
im feeling kinda stuck getting back into squatting. putting heavy weight on my spine no longer really appeals to me. am i justified doing other stuff? maybe deadlifts instead?
You can make the movement more challenging by removing stability or moving the load allowing you to lower the weight but still work hard.

Probably first thing would be a front squat or a goblet squat. You'll probably feel better doing those anyway.

After that split squats and variations. Step ups.

All the cool kids have also come full circle and are doing machine squats, hack squats, leg press, and leg extensions.

It won't make you huge, but you can also run sprints, box jump, do real shit too.

You also don't have to do squat 5 rep maxes. You can do 15-20 rep sets, pause squats, etc. 20 rep squats is great.

I really like to run chains on, well, everything, but especially deadlifts and squats. You don't have to be a elite powerlifter pretending to work through a "sticking point" to use chains and bands. You can just make the lift easier at the bottom where you are most likely to get injured and load the top so you get enough out of it.

Same thing for lifting off blocks for deadlifts, cutting your squats high. Do some really light full range shit and do your heavy work with limited rom.

fatmoocow

bored
OT Supporter
Aug 27, 2002
the intarweb
Thanks.

Definaltey on the more sleep. Average 6-7 during the week and 8-12 on the weekend sometimes :rofl: That is one thing I read, and I'm trying to do better. My timeline is just fucked since I'm an insomniac by nature, and take EC at 11pm at the earliest before going to the gym. Obviously I'm not going to fall asleep 15 mins after I get home anyway, usually its at least an hour later at like 2ish. I know this isnt ideal for a few reasons but it seems like my only realistic option that I'll do, and not let perfect be the enemy of good etc

I'll look into whats involved in getting a DEXA. I also think I'd like to go get some labs done. I used to annually for my health insurance rate requirements, but it's been 2-3 years, and I haven't had a real MD appt for like 15 years :o Few reasons I need to get off my ass and do that. I've thought about test, but I just dont know if thats something I want to mess with.

Been using MyFitnessPal religiously and do every time I'm trying to do well. I was actually going to ask here if theres anything better ya'll like. I used to use MyCarbManager when I did keto since it did net carbs. MFP free version seems to be fine and it lets me track Macros....which I still dont really know what my real goal should be at this moment.
Maybe just eat 100 less calories and don't take the EC. Your time in teh gym is wasted if your sleep isn't decent.

Reactions: JeffSTL

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marsillpost