JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
It sounds like you're crash dieting which works in the short term but isn't a viable strategy for long-term success. If you struggle with appetite control there's some effective prescription medications for that now.

Instead of MyFitnessPal I would recommend a subscription based app like MacroFactor or Carbon that tells you what your macros should be. That will help keep you from straying too far in either direction. I'd also recommend using a watch or your phone to track your daily step count.

Carbs aren't bad but it's not necessary to "spike your insulin" after your workout.

You should cut out the stimulants at 11 PM and maybe get an at-home sleep study to make sure you don't have sleep apnea.

I wouldn't recommend a DEXA scan except to help with motivation.
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate any tips you have as I'm aware you really know your shit.

I've defiantly done the crash thing in the past, with outstanding short term results. Long term I always gain some of it back, but thats because I have issues with binge eating that stem from food things from a kid, but always 100% my choices and actions, I've just struggled with food more than anything in my life. When I'm off the wagon I'm still driving to Taco Bell at 1am every single night even if I'm not hungry :o :rofl: :o A friend was telling me about a medicine she took, that not only got rid of her appetite but made the idea of eating disgusting to her :rofl: But that may make me "crash diet" or have even lower calorie intake than I do now, so that may not be ideal.

But I've read losing weight super fast means your body is more likely to gain it back, regardless of behavior and choices. Not sure of the exact A&P or why, but I have some guesses. So I'm trying to not intentionally extremely limit calorie intake this time and be ok with a slower path.

I'll look into both those apps for sure! I do have an Apple Watch I used to track steps and all my workouts. I'm also concerned about cardio things. One example, my Vo2 Max is mid 30s always. It was up to 37.7 in Feb when I hadn't even gone on a walk in months and was living off fast food :rofl: I have heard it can take a while to adjust though. Thats as measured by the watch anyway FWIW. I'm also pretty sensitive to sodium/retaining water, and wear compressions/ted due to varicose vein issues. Both parents have them. Thats one of the reasons I need to get/go to a MD, to address and possibly remove those.

I'll gladly listen to any comments on what to do as far as what to eat or drink before/during/after a workout.

Also, any good sites to search for actual peer reviewed weight loss shit? Pubmed? I've been trying to read on bodybuilding and Reddit when I have time, but coming from the medical world what people say doesnt mean shit, especially in the gym bro world :rofl: If I can find some real legit actual data/studies that I know I can trust as fact, that may help. Just like a lot of things, you can find tons of people that all have different theories and reasons and "credible" people and things backing them up. Seems to be an extreme in this world. Hard to know what to go by.

Thanks again.

obscure/renegade

Don't mind me.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2004
Georgia
It sounds like you're crash dieting which works in the short term but isn't a viable strategy for long-term success. If you struggle with appetite control there's some effective prescription medications for that now.

Instead of MyFitnessPal I would recommend a subscription based app like MacroFactor or Carbon that tells you what your macros should be. That will help keep you from straying too far in either direction. I'd also recommend using a watch or your phone to track your daily step count.

Carbs aren't bad but it's not necessary to "spike your insulin" after your workout.

You should cut out the stimulants at 11 PM and maybe get an at-home sleep study to make sure you don't have sleep apnea.

I wouldn't recommend a DEXA scan except to help with motivation.
@JeffSTL If you're willing to pay, MacroFactor is clean and has easily digestible charts. As others like @fatmoocow have said, you MUST get proper sleep and a study isn't a bad idea.

Everything else up there is on the money.

Ceaze, I like the DEXA scan for the true image of where your physique is at as well as finding the metabolic rate, which he likely does not have handy.

Reactions: aloe
TS
TS
Ceaze

Ceaze

he/him
Jun 4, 2000
Also, any good sites to search for actual peer reviewed weight loss shit? Pubmed? I've been trying to read on bodybuilding and Reddit when I have time, but coming from the medical world what people say doesnt mean shit, especially in the gym bro world :rofl: If I can find some real legit actual data/studies that I know I can trust as fact, that may help. Just like a lot of things, you can find tons of people that all have different theories and reasons and "credible" people and things backing them up. Seems to be an extreme in this world. Hard to know what to go by.

Unless you have an education in how to read research, it's better to just subscribe to a research review or follow the experts who make it more digestible. But there's not really gonna be anything groundbreaking in fat loss research except for pharmaceuticals.

DontRevMe

Not today
OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2003
Ca
Ya but like I said, I'd still be up that late anyway. Get home, protien, shower and just a natural winding down process. Normally, or before trying to work out and taking EC, I was sleeping even less probably. I've never been hugely affected by caffeine, even when I used to average about 500oz a day of soda, pounding Mt Dew as I fell asleep and then went cold turkey one day. I had a mild headache for half a day and that was it. :dunno:

But yes, you're both right about the sleep. I've tried to do better, and I need to think if theres any ways things can be adjusted to improve my schedule, and increase sleep.
Bruh get on the rebs plan
Ec 2x a day, pre before gym, then blast on on edibles and ashwaganda to sleep

Reactions: fatmoocow

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
Unless you have an education in how to read research, it's better to just subscribe to a research review or follow the experts who make it more digestible. But there's not really gonna be anything groundbreaking in fat loss research except for pharmaceuticals.
light background, but nothing MD level or anything like that

So any good sources, people, sites, YouTube channels you recommend?

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
Bruh get on the rebs plan
Ec 2x a day, pre before gym, then blast on on edibles and ashwaganda to sleep
gotta stay away from the edibles for a while..last time I did I made and had:
grilled chicken and veggies before it kicked in so I wouldn't get the munchies and then..

the best pack of pop tarts that I've ever eaten (that were probably like 1-2 years old)
The best HUGE cheese roll up I've ever eaten
the best melted peanut butter and jelly sandwich I've ever had
the best melted peanut butter and jelly wrap I've ever had
the tied for the best melted peanut butter and jelly wrap I've ever had
I think while eating the best cheese and PB that existed from the containers in between

DontRevMe

Not today
OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2003
Ca
grilled chicken and veggies before it kicked in so I wouldn't get the munchies and then..

the best pack of pop tarts that I've ever eaten (that were probably like 1-2 years old)
I think while eating the best cheese and PB that existed from the containers in between
See that's the fun of it all πŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: JeffSTL

Buzz Killington

π–•π–Šπ–ˆπ–ˆπ–†π–›π–Ž
Tried it recently, although not that much

Needing to taper up and down kinda sucks, as does the fatigue after stopping.

Does work though. Prefer yohimbine HCL personally if you haven’t tried that.
I have some vague recollection of yohimbine jacking my anxiety up which is a hard no right now. I have enough with work.

Buzz Killington

π–•π–Šπ–ˆπ–ˆπ–†π–›π–Ž

I MURDERED a bag of these the other night while in an altered state:

:o

• Support
Reactions: DontRevMe

SquirtRussel

OT Supporter
Oct 8, 2004
San Francisco
I have some vague recollection of yohimbine jacking my anxiety up which is a hard no right now. I have enough with work.
Make sure you tried yohimbe HCL and not regular yohimbine bark.

Yohimbine bark makes me psycho too, HCL is super manageable at 5-10mg/day, and I have been prone to panic attacks the past two years so I also can’t take things that make anxiety worse.

Reactions: Buzz Killington

aloe

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2002
Dallas, Tejas
Thanks.

Definaltey on the more sleep. Average 6-7 during the week and 8-12 on the weekend sometimes :rofl: That is one thing I read, and I'm trying to do better. My timeline is just fucked since I'm an insomniac by nature, and take EC at 11pm at the earliest before going to the gym. Obviously I'm not going to fall asleep 15 mins after I get home anyway, usually its at least an hour later at like 2ish. I know this isnt ideal for a few reasons but it seems like my only realistic option that I'll do, and not let perfect be the enemy of good etc

I'll look into whats involved in getting a DEXA. I also think I'd like to go get some labs done. I used to annually for my health insurance rate requirements, but it's been 2-3 years, and I haven't had a real MD appt for like 15 years :o Few reasons I need to get off my ass and do that. I've thought about test, but I just dont know if thats something I want to mess with.

Been using MyFitnessPal religiously and do every time I'm trying to do well. I was actually going to ask here if theres anything better ya'll like. I used to use MyCarbManager when I did keto since it did net carbs. MFP free version seems to be fine and it lets me track Macros....which I still dont really know what my real goal should be at this moment.
The Dexa scan only take likes 6 minutes. I have another one scheduled next week actually since my last one was March 1st

They are great for progress tracking because the scale isn’t always the best measurement of progress

Reactions: obscure/renegade
TS
TS
Ceaze

Ceaze

he/him
Jun 4, 2000
So any good sources, people, sites, YouTube channels you recommend?

Twitter (these are more in the research sphere):
Kevin Hall
Nicola Guess
Deirdre Tobias
Kevin Klatt
Stephane Guyenet
Gil Carvalho
Daniel J Drucker

IG:
billcampbellphd
bdccarpenter
helms3dmj
thenutritional_advocate
thealanaragon
drnadolsky

YouTube:
Nutrition Made Simple!
Stronger By Science
Dr. Spencer Nadolsky (Docs Who Lift Podcast)
Paul Revelia
Team3DMJ

Sigma Nutrition Radio with Danny Lennon (on Spotify or Apple)

Research roundups:
Weightology
Examine.com membership
MASS Research Review
Alan Aragon's Research Review

And there's a lot of good articles on Lyle McDonald's web site at bodyrecomposition.com

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright Β© 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Msds