JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois

Thats interesting to learn, but what do you (and others) think is an ideal rest period between sets? Lets say if I'm doing like 4-5 sets of 10-12 reps, going for hypertrophy

I think I've read 90-120 seconds. In my head reading that, I'm thinking well shit, if I rest too long then the muscles I'm hitting won't be fatigued out at the end?

Or just any info on thinking or how to judge etc.

Thanks.

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
So trying to plan my next week or so regarding my vacation. Been lifting for about a month. 3-5 sets until fatigue, protien, EC and BCAA. These next few days before I leave, I'm going to focus on getting rid of as much fat as I can. I'm still an obese bitch. I have to go to 2 water parks including having a photo package at one lol...I added a lot of cardio this weekend I dont normally do, mostly in the target fat burn HR. Did arms today instead of tonight followed by 15 mins of cardio. Planning to go back at my normal time tonight for just [email protected] burn HR. I'm getting my shipment of Myprotien Tuesday that has When, Casein, Creatine, EAAs and pre workout. Using what I have left of some old GNC stuff until then.

So I'm trying to decide- Do I still try to hit the gym at night at the hotel? They have some free weights/cardio machines. Do I start creatine a couple days before I leave, and bring some with me? Never used it before. Dont know if its worth it, or will take effect fast enough to "make my arms look bigger" Or if it's even worth screwing with if I'm going to retain water everywhere and it'll make me look fatter negating any extra work I put in leading up lol. I'm planning to eat like an asshole, but I could still bring some supps to at least I still get enough protien, and/or if I'm going to lift or start creatine before I leave.

Or just not worry about it at all, and enjoy my vacation :rofl: I wouldn't go to the gym until the GF fell asleep, so if I'm not lifting I may just try to burn some of the extra calories off regardless. Or lay in bed like a bum

Then I have to decide if I'm going to maintain the same path or switch things up when I get back, but thats probably better for a separate post.

fatmoocow

bored
OT Supporter
Aug 27, 2002
the intarweb
Thats interesting to learn, but what do you (and others) think is an ideal rest period between sets? Lets say if I'm doing like 4-5 sets of 10-12 reps, going for hypertrophy

I think I've read 90-120 seconds. In my head reading that, I'm thinking well shit, if I rest too long then the muscles I'm hitting won't be fatigued out at the end?

Thanks.

5 minutes +

Longer rest periods correspond to greater load because you are less fatigued and can do more work. Fatigue is not the goal, stimulus is the goal.

I’ve even heard of dudes doing weird shit like 1 set per hour.

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
5 minutes +

Longer rest periods correspond to greater load because you are less fatigued and can do more work. Fatigue is not the goal, stimulus is the goal.

my christ I'm already at the gym for 60-90 mins...I guess I could do supersets and alternate

So ideally, I should lift whatever my say 10-12 rep max is, and then rest for 5 mins and do it a few more sets?

Keep in mind if it matters- I'm a obese newb who's been lifting for a month who's trying to learn the best way to do things, not a swole gym bro looking for that last 2%

fatmoocow

bored
OT Supporter
Aug 27, 2002
the intarweb
my christ I'm already at the gym for 60-90 mins...I guess I could do supersets and alternate

So ideally, I should lift whatever my say 10-12 rep max is, and then rest for 5 mins and do it a few more sets?

Keep in mind if it matters- I'm a obese newb who's been lifting for a month who's trying to learn the best way to do things, not a swole gym bro looking for that last 2%

Super sets is the opposite of what I’m suggesting. You sit down for five minutes and do nothing. The objective is to reduce cns fatigue by resting.

At the end of the day you’re looking for reasonable volume at reasonable intensity approaching failure.

You have to pick your own balance between how many exercises, rest periods, and number of reps.

I think a lot of dudes do too short a rest period, too low an intensity, and then have to compensate with volume.

Ceaze could probably tell you where the cut off is, I’d say rest longer than you think.

fatmoocow

bored
OT Supporter
Aug 27, 2002
the intarweb
Note that maximizing hypertrophy isn’t the only objective you may have. As a noob you may want to work on capacity, you may want to keep hr elevated for an hour.

Nonphixion

Oct 12, 2003
Vienna, Austria
Twitter (these are more in the research sphere):
Kevin Hall
Nicola Guess
Deirdre Tobias
Kevin Klatt
Stephane Guyenet
Gil Carvalho
Daniel J Drucker

IG:
billcampbellphd
bdccarpenter
helms3dmj
thenutritional_advocate
thealanaragon
drnadolsky

YouTube:
Nutrition Made Simple!
Stronger By Science
Dr. Spencer Nadolsky (Docs Who Lift Podcast)
Paul Revelia
Team3DMJ

Sigma Nutrition Radio with Danny Lennon (on Spotify or Apple)

Research roundups:
Weightology
Examine.com membership
MASS Research Review
Alan Aragon's Research Review

And there's a lot of good articles on Lyle McDonald's web site at bodyrecomposition.com
Hey, thanks for this list! I followed everyone here, except I could not find Stephane Guyenet on Twitter. halp? :hs:

TS
TS
Ceaze

Ceaze

he/him
Jun 4, 2000

Thanks.

Fatigue is a side effect, not the driver of hypertrophy. For example, sets of 6 reps stimulate as much hypertrophy as sets of 20 reps do, but sets of 20 generate a lot more fatigue.

Rest as long as you need to for your reps to not drop off much or at all (i.e. you don't want to hit 12 reps on your first set of the exercise and only 6 reps on the last set).

TS
TS
Ceaze

Ceaze

he/him
Jun 4, 2000
Super sets is the opposite of what I’m suggesting. You sit down for five minutes and do nothing. The objective is to reduce cns fatigue by resting.

At the end of the day you’re looking for reasonable volume at reasonable intensity approaching failure.

You have to pick your own balance between how many exercises, rest periods, and number of reps.

I think a lot of dudes do too short a rest period, too low an intensity, and then have to compensate with volume.

Ceaze could probably tell you where the cut off is, I’d say rest longer than you think.

I posted this one last year

As sets progressed, repetitions were significantly different (p < 0.05) between all RIs [rest intervals], and only the 8-minute RI (p < 0.05) allowed for the complete sustainability of repetitions over 4 consecutive sets. Subjects attained the greatest training volume (p < 0.05) using an 8-minute RI between sets compared with a 2- or 5-minute RI. Similarly, a significantly greater training volume was achieved using the 5-minute RI compared with the 2-minute RI. Resistance-trained men, with the goal of greater volume during strength training, would benefit from longer RIs, specifically using an 8-minute RI between 4 consecutive sets of a bench press exercise.

Reactions: fatmoocow
TS
TS
Ceaze

Ceaze

he/him
Jun 4, 2000
There's likely differences depending on the individual, exercise selection and magnitude of load tho

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
5 minutes +

It takes me 35-40 mins for 3 working sets each of bench and incline bench. Bar, 95, 135, 185 warmup sets then 3 working sets each with 3-5 min breaks between each. Then I do the rest of my routine in 20 mins and 10 more if I do core that day.

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
It won’t… you’ll come back looking fat but it’s just bloat from sugar/salt/alcohol and you’ll be normal in a few days.
Ya, I'm so sensitive to water weight/sodium it's stupid. Not that there's a medical issue/dx, but my cardio system sucks.

I'll always lose 10 pounds in 24-48 hours (lost 11 this time in ~48) and a week in my brother came in town and we went out to eat for the first time together in 20 years. So thats the one time I broke my diet. Gained 5 pounds from that one meal that took 5 days to lose :rofl:

SquirtRussel

OT Supporter
Oct 8, 2004
San Francisco
5 minutes +

Makes sense.

Love having a home gym because I can do this. Feels lazy af but if you get the volume in and don’t wait so long that you get cold or are no longer warmed up I can still see progress.

fatmoocow

bored
OT Supporter
Aug 27, 2002
the intarweb
It takes me 35-40 mins for 3 working sets each of bench and incline bench. Bar, 95, 135, 185 warmup sets then 3 working sets each with 3-5 min breaks between each. Then I do the rest of my routine in 20 mins and 10 more if I do core that day.

So if you do 4 non-working sets with 5 minute rests you’re warming up for 20 minutes. That’s probably too much.

You could do short rests on the warmups, cut a set out of the warmups, do a 5 or apparently 8 minute rest then working sets with long rests.

You also don’t need to repeat as many warm up sets moving to the next chest exercise as well.

Again this is maximizing hypertrophy.

Look up how Dorian Yates trains dudes. I don’t remember his rests, but he does 2 warmup sets and two working sets, few total exercises.

He maybe over does the forced reps, but he’s extremely well optimized for hypertrophy.

If you don’t want to shit your pants lifting, dial back the intensity from there.

{hydro}

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2005
Upstate CA
Ya, I'm so sensitive to water weight/sodium it's stupid. Not that there's a medical issue/dx, but my cardio system sucks.

I'll always lose 10 pounds in 24-48 hours (lost 11 this time in ~48) and a week in my brother came in town and we went out to eat for the first time together in 20 years. So thats the one time I broke my diet. Gained 5 pounds from that one meal that took 5 days to lose :rofl:
Have you tried fasting? 24hrs is pretty easy. I need to be out doing shit though to not think about it. Not working out but running errands or whatever.

Oh and cycling (bike riding) has been the best thing I could have gotten into. I always hated cardio before.

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
So if you do 4 non-working sets with 5 minute rests you’re warming up for 20 minutes. That’s probably too much.

You could do short rests on the warmups, cut a set out of the warmups, do a 5 or apparently 8 minute rest then working sets with long rests.

You also don’t need to repeat as many warm up sets moving to the next chest exercise as well.

Again this is maximizing hypertrophy.

Look up how Dorian Yates trains dudes. I don’t remember his rests, but he does 2 warmup sets and two working sets, few total exercises.

He maybe over does the forced reps, but he’s extremely well optimized for hypertrophy.

If you don’t want to shit your pants lifting, dial back the intensity from there.
Oh I don't rest that long between warmup sets. Pretty much go for it as soon as I can add the weight and take a little bit longer than that between last warmup set and first working set. But for the working sets, I take 3-5 min breaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marsillpost