hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
Don't take lifting for granted y'all. I had to stop lifting in August 2020 because it was causing insane, life-altering tinnitus in my left ear (long story, but it's semi-fixed and semi-manageable now). It's been two years and for the first time I've been able to actually lift weights going on 4 weeks in a row with 4-5 days of lifting a week.

The difference in my mood, posture, body composition, etc. is pronounced already. Now I have to figure out how to get back to and surpass my peak from years ago. Long road ahead, but glad to finally be back on it vs. in a ditch off to the side.

Patrick Bateman

Apr 8, 2002
At the gym
Don't take lifting for granted y'all. I had to stop lifting in August 2020 because it was causing insane, life-altering tinnitus in my left ear (long story, but it's semi-fixed and semi-manageable now). It's been two years and for the first time I've been able to actually lift weights going on 4 weeks in a row with 4-5 days of lifting a week.

The difference in my mood, posture, body composition, etc. is pronounced already. Now I have to figure out how to get back to and surpass my peak from years ago. Long road ahead, but glad to finally be back on it vs. in a ditch off to the side.
Glad youre back at it

Reactions: hootpie

GonadWarrior

May 11, 2001

What about weightlifting was causing tinnitus? Just curious..

I can't go to the gym without having gum in my mouth, otherwise I'm clenching too hard

obscure/renegade

Don't mind me.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2004
Georgia

I can't go to the gym without having gum in my mouth, otherwise I'm clenching too hard
My guess would be that increased blood pressure from the exertion of lifting would amplify his tinnitus.

EDIT: The gum is a good idea, I know a guy that uses an actual mouthguard (powerlifter).

Buzz Killington

π–•π–Šπ–ˆπ–ˆπ–†π–›π–Ž
My guess would be that increased blood pressure from the exertion of lifting would amplify his tinnitus.

EDIT: The gum is a good idea, I know a guy that uses an actual mouthguard (powerlifter).
Speaking of this, anyone else end up looking like they are going to pop during some exertions?

I was doing heavy forearm curls last night and I was really focusing on it and stood up quickly and in the mirror I looked like :mad:

Reactions: GonadWarrior

obscure/renegade

Don't mind me.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2004
Georgia
Speaking of this, anyone else end up looking like they are going to pop during some exertions?

I was doing heavy forearm curls last night and I was really focusing on it and stood up quickly and in the mirror I looked like :mad:
It happens here and there, generally when I forget proper breathing due to being taxed out. And it happened last week as well - my woman took an awesome pic of me doing tricep crossovers. Traps looked like native american burial mounds. Triceps looked like horseshoes for 40 hands-high draft horse. My face? Just like yours: :mad: I made her delete it lmao

• Haha
Reactions: Buzz Killington

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California

It wasn't weightlifting itself that caused it. Something else caused it (exact reason unknown, but I have my suspicions) and weightlifting made it a lot worse.

I woke up one morning with both of my ears ringing at like an 8/10--think "long night of drinking at a loud ass bar" type of ringing, but it wouldn't stop. 9 days later the right ear stopped ringing, but the left ear kept going at about a 6-7/10. I had to start wearing headphones to listen to music to try to drowned it out during the day and had to sleep with a loud fan next to me at night--even then I was having a lot of problems falling and staying asleep and focusing in general.

Saw 2x ENT, an audiologist, a neurologist, and a physiatrist and they all kinda shrugged their shoulders. Started researching tinnitus to try to figure out what could be causing it. Realized that weightlifting made it louder. Also started noticing that when the tinnitus was the loudest I would also get numbness/weakness in my left arm. Read a ton of papers on tinnitus and found a few interesting ones where peoples' tinnitus volume/quality changed depending on their neck position. Started experimenting on myself and found that the frequency of my tinnitus (used an online tool to determine this) changed on an hourly basis and my inability to hear that frequency (which correlates directly to the tinnitus) changed depending on whether I had my head tilted all the way up or down.

Took this information back to all of the doctors listed above and they shrugged again and said it's probably unrelated. Realized they were going to be useless so I found a killer PT up in San Francisco. They found that my C1 and C2 vertebrae were counter-rotated and sheared out of normal position causing some nerve pinching in my neck. Once they fixed that (after several months) the tinnitus was at most a 3-4/10. PT did some more digging and found my left first rib was elevated and not moving properly as compared to my right side. Normally something like that causes thoracic outlet syndrome in people, which typically shows up as numbness/weakness in the arm and in like 10-20% of cases some mild tinnitus--in my case it was causing loud ass tinnitus and only a bit of numbness. She did a ton of work to get my first rib down into a normal position and within 5 minutes the tinnitus was completely gone :eek3:

Since then, it's been a battle to get the first rib down and to get it to stay down. We'd make progress, but then a single lifting session (sometimes even just 1-2 light sets of anything upper body related) would cause the tinnitus to go back up to a 3-4/10 and stay there until I saw the PT again. I had to stop lifting entirely and focus on specific strengthening exercises to get the rib to stay down (alongside a ton of soft tissue work in/around that area). It's finally in a place now where I can lift light-moderate weights and not have the tinnitus flare up. The main thing that triggers the tinnitus at this point is inclined DB press. Flat DB press doesn't trigger it. Arnold presses don't trigger it. Super strange but it is what it is.

edit: allthatshitbyme.txt

Last edited:

Buzz Killington

It happens here and there, generally when I forget proper breathing due to being taxed out. And it happened last week as well - my woman took an awesome pic of me doing tricep crossovers. Traps looked like native american burial mounds. Triceps looked like horseshoes for 40 hands-high draft horse. My face? Just like yours: :mad: I made her delete it lmao
I almost NEVER think about breathing :o

I should probably look into that.

02019f73-eacf-4101-bd41-a2a123e1b1e9_screenshot.jpg

Don't forget to breathe. Very important.

• Support
Reactions: obscure/renegade

obscure/renegade

Don't mind me.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2004
Georgia
I almost NEVER think about breathing :o

I should probably look into that.

02019f73-eacf-4101-bd41-a2a123e1b1e9_screenshot.jpg

Don't forget to breathe. Very important.
I like to lift with a 3:1 tempo, as that has done wonders for my strength. In order to do tempo properly, you have to breath the right way.

What's also nice about tempo is that, since you are taking ~4-5 seconds per rep (3 down, 1 pause, 1-2 up, you can't ego lift and bang out the set before you fatigue. Your ass will just fail.

Reactions: Buzz Killington

obscure/renegade

Don't mind me.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2004
Georgia
I posted a pic of my woman on my IG story, and one of our female friends messaged me to ask if I'd share her and was being dead ass serious about it :rofl:

And it was just a shot of her in her sports bra, on the way to the gym, nothing salacious or whatever

Buzz Killington

I posted a pic of my woman on my IG story, and one of our female friends messaged me to ask if I'd share her and was being dead ass serious about it :rofl:

And it was just a shot of her in her sports bra, on the way to the gym, nothing salacious or whatever
This is leering, indescribable, nasty, kinky behavior.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.1 Copyright Β© 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamedali2022