Phil NJ

OT Supporter
Jun 15, 2003
Jersey Shore
ok but seriously tho

I miss the leverage shrug machine at my old gym, dumbbell shrugs just don’t seem to quite do the same thing. Surely there is a better exercise to hit these @Patrick Bateman et al what we got
Are you using too much weight with dumbbell shrugs? I had the same issue until I lowered the weight and really worked to feel it in the traps. Was able to move back up in weight after that.

Reactions: mollywhop

rcm

Bully Troll Crew
OT Supporter
Dec 30, 2004
ok but seriously tho

I miss the leverage shrug machine at my old gym, dumbbell shrugs just don’t seem to quite do the same thing. Surely there is a better exercise to hit these @Patrick Bateman et al what we got
This thicc solid dude at my gym does shrugs but instead of holding dumbbells, he holds those fixed weight straight bars at his side. No idea why. I don't know the point of this story either tbh.

• Sad
Reactions: mollywhop

mollywhop

🤙 Dick was moist as fuck 🤙
OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
Are you using too much weight with dumbbell shrugs? I had the same issue until I lowered the weight and really worked to feel it in the traps. Was able to move back up in weight after that.
Yeah I learned my lesson on that, I definitely use a whole lot less weight with DBs than I did with the plates. They do the job fine, I guess I’m just thinking that there has to be something as or more effective that I could be alternating every couple sessions with instead of doing the exact same thing every single week

Reactions: Phil NJ

mollywhop

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
This thicc solid dude at my gym does shrugs but instead of holding dumbbells, he holds those fixed weight straight bars. No idea why. I don't know the point of this story either tbh.
I have done that also with Olympic bars and it does seem to slightly change how the traps are targeted, but I find it hard to engage quite as effectively with that because of the weird grip so I generally stick with dumbbells

mollywhop

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
Hey while I’m asking stupid questions. For a while I was working in my rear delts on shoulder days because I figured hey, makes sense right, delts are delts. But it seemed to naturally make more sense in terms of the efficiency of the movement for me to add this to back days instead, so that’s where I’ve been (mainly rear delt machine rows lately). I guess I’m wondering if my reasoning makes sense or if I should still be doing that with shoulders, because it seems like opinions are pretty divided on this from what I’ve read. I also think I might need to wrap my arms around a new routine where I can start hitting muscle groups more than once a week but that’s a different question for a different day I reckon

Patrick Bateman

OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
At the gym
Hey while I’m asking stupid questions. For a while I was working in my rear delts on shoulder days because I figured hey, makes sense right, delts are delts. But it seemed to naturally make more sense in terms of the efficiency of the movement for me to add this to back days instead, so that’s where I’ve been (mainly rear delt machine rows lately). I guess I’m wondering if my reasoning makes sense or if I should still be doing that with shoulders, because it seems like opinions are pretty divided on this from what I’ve read. I also think I might need to wrap my arms around a new routine where I can start hitting muscle groups more than once a week but that’s a different question for a different day I reckon
Your answer: do them on either back or shoulder day, it matters zero. Or try both.

mollywhop

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
Your answer: do them on either back or shoulder day, it matters zero. Or try both.

When do you train yours? Right now I think my back and shoulder days are too close together to hit them both sessions with enough recovery in between, but maybe I can move some things around if I’m looking to update my routine anyway. I know that the more I train those the more effective I seem to be at a bunch of different exercises, I assume probably has to do with strengthening the scapula and all that

Patrick Bateman

OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
At the gym
When do you train yours? Right now I think my back and shoulder days are too close together to hit them both sessions with enough recovery in between, but maybe I can move some things around if I’m looking to update my routine anyway. I know that the more I train those the more effective I seem to be at a bunch of different exercises, I assume probably has to do with strengthening the scapula and all that
I do mine with delts and sometimes back too

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman