Samcanadian

Cellular, Modular, Interactivodular
OT Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
Need some help from y'all on how to change up my workout a bit

I work out at planet fitness most of the time because thats where my GF goes, I go to LA fitness when i work out solo, so keep that in mind

My workouts are something like this typically:

Chest/Tri:
DB Bench or DB Incline Bench - I havent been doing much incline bench, but i did 85lb DBs x 10 last weekend on a flat bench)
Dips
Core movement (ab crunch / oblique / back ext)
Pec Fly
Tricep Extension

Back/Bicep:
Assisted Pullup (Fat lol)
Assorted Row
Core movement (ab crunch / oblique / back ext)
Lat Pulldown
Bicep Curl

In general, i feel like I havent had a ton of grown in the size of my bicep, i think i need to add volume here because my biceps are seldom 'sore' after a workout, whereas my back usually is

Leg: Before you judge too much on this, i have L4/L5 + L5/S1 herniations so i'm always guarded and stick to machine work. If im working solo, i'll sometimes do hack squat instead of the leg press machine.
Leg Press
Leg Curl
Leg Ext
Glute
Hip Adduction
Hip Abduction

Writing it all out, I feel like I should probably add a 4th workout routine that's really dedicated to shoulders

Im aware that my routine kinda sucks, and want to try to change some things up. I typically do 3x10, but would also consider other variations there as well.

How might i change my routine some to see some more gains? Dont want to let my TRT go to waste lol
How many days a week do you work out?

kenmei

Squatty Potty
OT Supporter
Mar 10, 2003
Bay Area, CA
I did too lmao.. which tbh is worse for me because I live in NYC and you live some place that looks like this

K9XKuth.png

how so?? you can just shit on the street and it be totally normal in NYC, where @mollywhop and us "regular people" would be sent to prison and put on the sexual predator list (a second time for molly tho)

rcm

Bully Troll Crew
OT Supporter
Dec 30, 2004
how so?? you can just shit on the street and it be totally normal in NYC, where @mollywhop and us "regular people" would be sent to prison and put on the sexual predator list (a second time for molly tho)
What? Your location indicates you're the one in the street shitting capital.

But that wasn't even the context of my post

Samcanadian

OT Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
i would not suggest 6RM weight being the ultimate way to train biceps but to each their own, unless i'm misunderstanding
The study gonad posted says that the most effective reps of a set are the last 5 before failure, so he's suggesting to just do sets of 6 reps each to failure so as to not waste any time. I think.

meatball

vorrei ma non posto
Jan 11, 2005
Union County
I understand the effective reps principle but I do not understand this application:

85% of a 1 rep max is about 5 reps, so once you put all of this together you’ll see that in the last 5 reps of a set to failure you’re getting what should be close to maximum motor unit recruitment.

• Haha
Reactions: obscure/renegade

Samcanadian

OT Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
I understand the effective reps principle but I do not understand this application:

85% of a 1 rep max is about 5 reps, so once you put all of this together you’ll see that in the last 5 reps of a set to failure you’re getting what should be close to maximum motor unit recruitment.
Yeah he lost me there too lol

Reactions: obscure/renegade

rcm

Bully Troll Crew
OT Supporter
Dec 30, 2004
IMO the notion of training biceps specifically is pretty regarded/wasteful of time... unless you are a Bodybuidler that competes

you can hit them with other stuff pretty regularly
We're all lifting to get joocy bicepts to impress other dudes

• Wow
Reactions: kenmei

Samcanadian

OT Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
I'm focusing so hard on making sure my left bicep doesn't fall behind my right, that I've actually got a bigger left than right arm atm. This has gone terribly wrong.

meatball

vorrei ma non posto
Jan 11, 2005
Union County
junk volume to me means how many sets you're doing after you've done the amount of hard sets (close to failure) that maximally obliterates the shit out of your target muscle.

as in, after a certain point, 8 sets of bench press or whatever, your chest is fucking fried and you're not going to be stimulating more growth and you're wasting your time at best, or making muscle damage so severe that you're going backwards or risking injury

Samcanadian

OT Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
junk volume to me means how many sets you're doing after you've done the amount of hard sets (close to failure) that absolutely obliterates your shit out of your target muscle.

as in, after a certain point, 8 sets of bench press or whatever, your chest is fucking fried and you're not going to be stimulating more growth and you're wasting your time at best, or making muscle damage so severe that you're doing backwards or risking injury
Yeah, i'm not sure I'm ready to call the 2-3 rep difference between 3x6 and 3x10 as "Junk volume" just yet

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman