Phil NJ

OT Supporter
Jun 15, 2003
Jersey Shore
So in the past I've always just taken a week off every 5-8 weeks but want to try running a deload week for the first time. Sleep still solid but overall I'm dragging ass even after bumping up calories a little.

Is it really as simple as just working the same volume with just lighter weight? Do I go to failure on all sets? Keep RIR? How many? What do y'all find works best and what doesn't work so well?

Retarded questions, I know, but had to ask
I never build in deload weeks. They just happen organically when Iโ€™m under the weather or on vacation

aloe

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2002
Dallas, Tejas
Isn't legs what you're supposed to be hitting the most right now given your injury
Iโ€™ve been slacking :hsd:

Not being able to follow a direct program right now has me all over the place unfortunately.

Lately itโ€™s been something like two exercises of 4x10 for each body part I can work on to get more done in less days at the gym via a full body workout.

If I spread it out more, then Iโ€™m in the gym more days out of the week for a much shorter time frame and feeling left when leaving the gym like I didnโ€™t really accomplish much that day

Edit: the good news now is that I can do leg press at least since we donโ€™t have a belt squat at the gym. I havenโ€™t really donโ€™t any lunging movements since Iโ€™d feel off balance just holding a dumbbell in only one arm

obscure/renegade

Don't mind me.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2004
Georgia
So in the past I've always just taken a week off every 5-8 weeks but want to try running a deload week for the first time. Sleep still solid but overall I'm dragging ass even after bumping up calories a little.

Is it really as simple as just working the same volume with just lighter weight? Do I go to failure on all sets? Keep RIR? How many? What do y'all find works best and what doesn't work so well?

Retarded questions, I know, but had to ask
Not retarded at all - after testing a few things, what helps me the most is lowering the weight, but keeping all of the reps. You don't have to think about RIR, AMRAP, none of that shit. My goal is to prevent the creation of injury envelopes when my body is already fatigued.

I never build in deload weeks. They just happen organically when Iโ€™m under the weather or on vacation
I only started using them recently. My coach's wife is my female bestie, and she is responsible for that. I had gone in her shop to see her and she's like "You look beat, are you good?" I told her I was tired but I'd be fine. She says, when was the last time you took a week off? It was March of last year, and I said "Last September" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I tend to go way too hard and forced deloads are Landon's way of making sure I stay good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joseph Scumsworth

obscure/renegade

Don't mind me.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2004
Georgia
the methodology I use is, first of the week is working weight, but half the reps and fewer sets. so "hard" but not challenging". and then second half of the week is 1/2 weight and 1/2 reps, so extremely easy.
Hmmm

I could see this split being nice to tailor out for a specific group.

EG if your back didn't get enough work and is actually fresh at the start of week six, to hit it a bit more and then scale back on weight AND reps.

obscure/renegade

Don't mind me.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2004
Georgia
Iโ€™ve been slacking :hsd:

Not being able to follow a direct program right now has me all over the place unfortunately.

Lately itโ€™s been something like two exercises of 4x10 for each body part I can work on to get more done in less days at the gym via a full body workout.

If I spread it out more, then Iโ€™m in the gym more days out of the week for a much shorter time frame and feeling left when leaving the gym like I didnโ€™t really accomplish much that day

Edit: the good news now is that I can do leg press at least since we donโ€™t have a belt squat at the gym. I havenโ€™t really donโ€™t any lunging movements since Iโ€™d feel off balance just holding a dumbbell in only one arm
We're all rooting for you, brother. Keep chipping away, honor the rehab, listen to your body.

Reactions: Buzz Killington

meatball

vorrei ma non posto
Jan 11, 2005
Union County
Hmmm

I could see this split being nice to tailor out for a specific group.

EG if your back didn't get enough work and is actually fresh at the start of week six, to hit it a bit more and then scale back on weight AND reps.

oh yeah i should specify i don't bro split, so every body part is getting hit at least once during the more difficult half of the week and then again on the easy part

Reactions: obscure/renegade

Samcanadian

Cellular, Modular, Interactivodular
OT Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
oh yeah i should specify i don't bro split, so every body part is getting hit at least once during the more difficult half of the week and then again on the easy part
Girls_Gossiping.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: DontRevMe

Joseph Scumsworth

ยฏ\_(ใƒ„)_/ยฏ
OT Supporter
Sep 10, 2002
Quad Shitties
Not retarded at all - after testing a few things, what helps me the most is lowering the weight, but keeping all of the reps. You don't have to think about RIR, AMRAP, none of that shit. My goal is to prevent the creation of injury envelopes when my body is already fatigued.

I only started using them recently. My coach's wife is my female bestie, and she is responsible for that. I had gone in her shop to see her and she's like "You look beat, are you good?" I told her I was tired but I'd be fine. She says, when was the last time you took a week off? It was March of last year, and I said "Last September" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I tend to go way too hard and forced deloads are Landon's way of making sure I stay good.
I'm going to apply this next week. I was thinking it was time to do that but realized I was just feeling off since I was out on a date until 1am Sunday night and felt alright by evening. Thinking this week just go extra heavy then lower the weight for a deload next week since I've been going pretty hard the past few months without easing back.

Reactions: obscure/renegade

Users who are viewing this thread

• About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
    OT v15.14.0 Copyright ยฉ 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
    Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
    Guests online
    Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    zyfinity