Piano crew: is this thing worth any money?

TS
TS
mollywhop

mollywhop

Dick was moist as fuck
OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
it's free if I want it, only going to get a truck with a lift and clear out a storage unit for this thing if it's not a POS. I assume it needs to be refinished at minimum

Reactions: Muddy Waters
TS
TS
mollywhop

mollywhop

Dick was moist as fuck
OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
Also apparently its still works but needs to be tuned Im sure. The only reason Im even asking is because I see the same exact year model going for upwards of $35,000 online :oopsie:

May 6, 2001
樹 喫
I would try to sell it online for a bit if you have time. Pianos are notoriously difficult to sell and I ended up giving away my grandmother's to ensure it went to a caring home. :hs:

Ironically I did manage to sell a 130ish year old pump organ that was decor in my old house. A guy who collected and restored them found me.

TS
TS
mollywhop

mollywhop

Dick was moist as fuck
OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
I would try to sell it online for a bit if you have time. Pianos are notoriously difficult to sell and I ended up giving away my grandmother's to ensure it went to a caring home. :hs:

Ironically I did manage to sell a 130ish year old pump organ that was decor in my old house. A guy who collected and restored them found me.
so apparently it appraised for $2000 in current condition so that sucks and not worth the trouble to maybe be able to make a grand or something. But what I'm seeing is this year make and model typically goes for 15-25k fully refinished, or possibly more but that's the sweetspot. I've had trouble giving away pianos myself and this one apparently is absolutely enormous and ridiculously heavy so I'm sure it would be even harder to get rid of :o

May 6, 2001
樹 喫
so apparently it appraised for $2000 in current condition so that sucks and not worth the trouble to maybe be able to make a grand or something. But what I'm seeing is this year make and model typically goes for 15-25k fully refinished, or possibly more but that's the sweetspot. I've had trouble giving away pianos myself and this one apparently is absolutely enormous and ridiculously heavy so I'm sure it would be even harder to get rid of :o
That's the problem, they are "worth" something but moving them costs a fucking fortune. Many movers won't touch them, then you have to hire piano movers who charge a fortune. So it does not make economic sense unless it is really valuable or a family piece.

My grandmother's piano came from Wisconsin to New York after her death, from New York to Virginia after my parent's downsized, and then I had to give it away when my life went tits up. Broke my heart, but it went to a professional musician.

Fanya

OT Supporter
Jun 23, 2005
There is a reason people give pianos away.

You won't know the issues until you get into it.

My parents had a family piano, wouldn't hold a tune no matter how many times they tuned it, you can run into things like that. Not sure if that would be identifiable in a once over or not

May 6, 2001
樹 喫
Incidentally the keys might be real ivory - they were on my organ. Very interesting to look at, and you can sell them to people who restore or who make jewelry/crafts, but I could not bring myself to tear mine apart. It had a bust of Napoleon III on it and in pencil someone had written his name and a tune-up date in the 1880s.

talontsiawd

OT Supporter
Sep 5, 2003
St.louis

I have a co-worker who is trying to get rid of one from the late 1890s... Have any info I could pass along to her?

May 6, 2001
樹 喫
I have a co-worker who is trying to get rid of one from the late 1890s... Have any info I could pass along to her?
I did a ton of research on mine and the company, described (and posted photos of) the interesting things about it (ivory, original carpets, the writing on it, etc.), cleaned it and "fed" the wood before photos, and showed it in the best possible light. They really are room decor at this point in almost all cases. I would also suggest getting names and rates of local movers to have ready because you'll get idiots like me who want it but don't know where to start in terms of moving it.

Reactions: talontsiawd

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright 穢 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thetongue