• Job B

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • Job C

Votes: 29 41.4%

• Total voters

SlickStick

Apr 7, 2002
Orlando, FL
After four months of job hunting I have three offers and need to make a decision this weekend.

Job A
  • Project Management Director. IC role leading cross-functional teams and vendors.
  • $140K + 20% annual bonus target
  • Transformation projects rolling out a consolidated ERP system for a larger company that has gone through a bunch of acquisitions
  • Originally told me it was a hybrid 3 days onsite / 2 days work from home, later renegged and said mostly onsite. I feel bait and switched.
  • "Old school" culture and benefits - cubicle life in some strip mall office. Not great benefits. 15 days PTO. I foresee drama and headaches.
  • I already accepted and supposed to start Monday, so bridges will be burned if I change my mind
Job B
  • Program Manager (they might update to Sr. Program Manager in updated offer). IC role leading cross-functional team.
  • $145K
  • They told me they would update to $150K + 5-10% annual bonus target by COB Thursday. It didn't come through and told me again it would come today... still waiting on updated offer.
  • Custom development projects for clients related to cloud/data/AI/ML... smaller company just past startup mode, maybe 150 people
  • Remote work
  • Unlimited PTO, great benefits, modern tech culture seems good and boss seems like a great guy to work for
  • Will the updated offer they promise come this weekend...?
Job C
  • Head of Project Management. Currently no direct reports but opportunity to build a department if company grows.
  • $140K + "Discretionary" bonus with no specific target. Boss said they want to firm this up later but potentially 10-20%, could be more than that at my level but he can't guarantee it. He said he already overreached his budget to get me but I asked again to consider a $5-10K bump to avoid taking too big of a haircut and he said he would double check.
  • SAAS startup in a Fintech type of space company, reporting directly to the COO. Lead some platform dev and customer implementations.
  • Stock Options: Not sure how to interpret value yet, awaiting details. 85 shares, value equivalent to 50% of annual salary. Vest over a 4-year period.
  • Remote work
  • Unlimited PTO, great benefits, great culture the boss and everyone seem really laid back.
  • Would be my top choice but is it worth the risk gambling on a startup that is an unknown commodity and having what is probably the least enticing offer financially?

T_Dawgg

Escape Goat
May 6, 2001
vancity
Deleted original post for B as didn’t see the stock options on C

go with C as the salary/benefits/culture line up with B but has down the road potential of a nice tax reduced payout if they get acquired

TS
TS
SlickStick

SlickStick

Apr 7, 2002
Orlando, FL
Deleted original post for B as didn’t see the stock options on C

go with C as the salary/benefits/culture line up with B but has down the road potential of a nice tax reduced payout if they get acquired
Any idea how to interpret value? I'm confused how it mentions the % of salary but I would assume that is based on IPO value...?

HoodRich

Professional Street Nigga
OT Supporter
Feb 2, 2004
The City
Job B
  • Program Manager (they might update to Sr. Program Manager in updated offer). IC role leading cross-functional team.
  • $145K
  • They told me they would update to $150K + 5-10% annual bonus target by COB Thursday. It didn't come through and told me again it would come today... still waiting on updated offer.
  • Custom development projects for clients related to cloud/data/AI/ML... smaller company just past startup mode, maybe 150 people
  • Remote work
  • Unlimited PTO, great benefits, modern tech culture seems good and boss seems like a great guy to work for
  • Will the updated offer they promise come this weekend...?
stopped at unlimited PTO. Thats a no brainer, even if its remote work. I'd work 2, MAYBE 3 days a week and be CHILLIN

victor77

Internet Crew
OT Supporter
Mar 13, 2011
Internets
So basically all the same job with roughly the same pay?

Just pick the one with the people you think you'll like working with most.

Reactions: Dolan
TS
TS
SlickStick

SlickStick

Apr 7, 2002
Orlando, FL
I'm honestly surprised you don't make more as head of PM. I'm not in a very senior position at all and I make close to that
They are boot strapping. Yea and I've got interest for other Program Management roles in the pipe I could land with $170K base if I want to keep trying... but if I take it I would want to stick with it for a bit and see how it goes.

Toodles

Don't ever give up on your dreams. Keep sleeping!
OT Supporter
Mar 13, 2002
Swampsville
"Discretionary bonus" usually means little to no bonus.

Startups that have a "laid back culture" sound like an oxymoron.

Startup stocks :rofl:

Go with A if the bonus is that important to you.

B is my choice.

Charlie

omghi2u
OT Supporter
Jan 2, 2005
Atlanta
They are boot strapping. Yea and I've got interest for other Program Management roles in the pipe I could land with $170K base if I want to keep trying... but if I take it I would want to stick with it for a bit and see how it goes.
If you still have money saved to live on and haven't been unemployed for too long or are still employed why not stick it out? The job market it hot. You make your money on the initial hire. And this salary will set the base for your next one

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6