giphy.gif

• Wow
Reactions: Wolf

sp00n155

You underestimate the insignificance of my penis
OT Supporter
Jan 30, 2006
Bisbee, AZ
Startup too risky? I talked to a past COO at my last company about options and he told me startup was the way to go for the type of experience you get and they're surprisingly hard to land higher level positions at.
A startup in a downturn economy is highly risky and the other place has 15 days PTO in a cube farm. What are you even debating here.

• Haha
Reactions: SlickStick

Sal Paradise

Jan 16, 2002
Heathwood
C, as long as you think they have a winning product/concept.

If C is doing something stupid like being the Uber of Rotisserie Chickens; I’d fall back to B.

No way to A.

Reactions: SlickStick
TS
TS
SlickStick

SlickStick

Apr 7, 2002
Orlando, FL
A startup in a downturn economy is highly risky and the other place has 15 days PTO in a cube farm. What are you even debating here.
I mean company B is 150 people and by their terms just past startup phase also... Some may say it still is one also. Wonder the exact definition :hmm:

TS
TS
SlickStick

SlickStick

Apr 7, 2002
Orlando, FL
C, as long as you think they have a winning product/concept.

If C is doing something stupid like being the Uber of Rotisserie Chickens; I’d fall back to B.

No way to A.
C the product is really niche so I don't know enough to really say if it's a winner or not. Don't want to say too much but the Founder and my new boss (Co-Founder) both have been in this space their entire careers in different aspects which is how they came together, so hopefully they know their stuff. They got a series A at like $60M and a recent partnership with a big firm announced in the news so there seems to be some traction at least and they're revenue generating.

TS
TS
SlickStick

SlickStick

Apr 7, 2002
Orlando, FL
Boss from C text me an hour ago about setting up an equity walkthrough this weekend and said they would bump to $145K. I told him cancel the call, I am in!

I was already wanting to go that way, and B still has not come through with their updated offer I was promised to receive on Thursday... which just seems like a bad sign. I'd rather be with the guys who can seem to at least get basic shit done.

DasVWBabe

OT's Diamond and Gemstone Tutorial Creator
OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Frisconia
C the product is really niche so I don't know enough to really say if it's a winner or not. Don't want to say too much but the Founder and my new boss (Co-Founder) both have been in this space their entire careers in different aspects which is how they came together, so hopefully they know their stuff. They got a series A at like $60M and a recent partnership with a big firm announced in the news so there seems to be some traction at least and they're revenue generating.
Ask to see some sales dashboards/pipeline reporting from B & C before making the call, IMO.

I'm a habitual start-up fiend. I love the culture and the ability to build a team and processes in my own way. That being said, most start-ups have zero pipeline management and tracking and if you see no evidence of organized funnel management or even a Deal Desk approval process, I would pass.

DasVWBabe

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Frisconia
When it comes to start-ups, you can always choose to exercise shares. Ask them what the process is if, on departure, to retain that equity. I exercised shares over a decade ago that are looking to pan out now. It's not a ton of money, but it's literally a 20x return on my exercise cost (not including time spent at the company).

Also, in every role, especially with startups, build your exit on the way in. Ask about including guaranteed severance packages.

Reactions: bearsdidit
TS
TS
SlickStick

SlickStick

Apr 7, 2002
Orlando, FL
Ask to see some sales dashboards/pipeline reporting from B & C before making the call, IMO.

I'm a habitual start-up fiend. I love the culture and the ability to build a team and processes in my own way. That being said, most start-ups have zero pipeline management and tracking and if you see no evidence of organized funnel management or even a Deal Desk approval process, I would pass.
I would have loved to get this type of insight and pick your brain when I was earlier on in the interview process!

Company C the CEO did say they were in the process of implementing Salesforce because he feels having really good data about the business is important. One of the things they want my help with. Sounds like that is music to your ears.

Reactions: Normie

alex

RIP OT Yard Sale
OT Supporter
Oct 11, 2005
Orange County, NY
Pretty sure bossman was drinking a beer in my interview. Good people.
Huge red flag in my opinion. Usually a terrible culture. They are the “we are looking for RoCkStArS” and the “we work hard, but play hard” people… which means you are going to be asked to work all weekend in exchange for pizza and a beer and you’ll have an air hockey table you’ll never have time to use because you’ll be stressed out over unreachable deadlines.

If I went into an interview and the guy who was going to be my boss was drinking a beer, I’d 360 and walk out of there

Reactions: Toodles

Ore

OT Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Hamilton ON
I really don’t understand A higher someone at that level and feeling the need to define there ass being in a seat. I understand for low/mid/admin level people but for a manager is kind of rarted.

DasVWBabe

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Frisconia
I would have loved to get this type of insight and pick your brain when I was earlier on in the interview process!

Company C the CEO did say they were in the process of implementing Salesforce because he feels having really good data about the business is important. One of the things they want my help with. Sounds like that is music to your ears.
Truly, I wish you luck. I’ve led sales for 3 companies now during SFDC implementations where we had to integrate with multiple ERPs and/or a new marketing automation stack. It’s going to suuuuuck for a long while until they get off of their XLS pipeline management and into a Sales Ops routine with SFDC.

Let me be clear; start to finish, I have not worked for a single company that could get it going live in under 18 months. Your SFDC integration partner company is crucial. They can make or break it for you and they will all happily take your money before proving how badly organized they are. PM me if you want the name of a company you absolutely must stay away from.

If they are relying on you to build req’s and you haven’t done it before, it’s also going to be a really rough situation. Hopefully they already have a Sales Ops leader with vast experience to consult on their incoming pitfalls, and if not, feel free to PM me. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6