ART Pics from my spring break, few hotties inside ver wide angle and fill flash

CornUponCob

Oct 3, 2001
Went to Clearwater with 4 guys and 9 girls for one week. Took my gear down to the beach a lot despite the risk of it dying a horrible sandy death (very fine sand at Clearwater). I was most pleased with most of the pictures I took. Out of about 700 I got ~ 80 that I really liked. Here's a handfull of them.

Full Gallery, 16 pages
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg243h/SpringBreak/index.html

IMG_7918.jpg

I would prefer focus to be on the eyes, but the bird was only about 5 feet away, hard to get it perfect when they're moving. Framing is wacky, but I like it.

IMG_7920.jpg

just a bird

IMG_7981.jpg

I set them up this way. I'm an idiot for forgetting to stop down.

IMG_7990.jpg

Girlyfriend

IMG_8014.jpg

Despite the facial distortion and harshness on the face, I like this picture

IMG_8049.jpg

GF and I

IMG_8060.jpg

Take the focus on this picture......

IMG_8061.jpg

and apply it to this one (focus is off here, facial expression is much better)

IMG_8076.jpg

mandatory sillouette picture.... guy is flying a kite.

IMG_8247.jpg

RAPE TIME! (or some other equally obnoxious quote)

IMG_8286.jpg

Just a portrait.... I posted him for this. The 100% crop is nice and sharp

IMG_8288.jpg

Obligatory "focus on the P&S camera while other people are looking at it" picture.

IMG_8313.jpg

I should crop this to just his arms and head, because you can see the sand flying off his arms, plus it's nice and sharp.

IMG_8360.jpg

more Vball

IMG_8363.jpg

psudo-portrait

IMG_8370.jpg

IMG_8376.jpg

not very often you can fill the frame with a flying bird when shooting at 17mm. We were feeding them to get them to hover in front of us while I took pictures

IMG_8396.jpg

evening light with some $5 aviators from wallmart

IMG_8509.jpg

I guess I forgot to mention I had an underwater camera bag with me

IMG_8535.jpg

I like this picture, but I could never get it to work better than this. (cloudy water... further I back up the worse it gets)

IMG_8551.jpg

My attempt at the "mermaid shot" you sometimes see in ads.

IMG_8608.jpg

From 4th floor. They made other designs as well

IMG_8656.jpg

Silly little birds

IMG_8673.jpg

Obligatory palm tree picture, with bonus car roof in the lower righthand corner

IMG_8682.jpg

Pelican

IMG_8683.jpg

Same bird flying away

IMG_8728.jpg

If I only had the 10 FPS of the MK III I would have gotten the boat centered. That's reason alone to buy it :mamoru:

IMG_8739.jpg

This guy's bait (shrimp) was..........

IMG_8735.jpg

Being eaten by this bird. He didn't seem to mind.

IMG_8740.jpg

(sun had set, hard to get a shot even at iso 1600)

IMG_8755.jpg

About to go for an open water swim, beach style (BTW, 8 of the 9 girls are swimmers)

IMG_8756.jpg

Silly "Speedo advertisement" picture

IMG_8759.jpg

One on the right will kill you

IMG_8760.jpg

I wasn't kidding

IMG_8782.jpg

This "style" reminds me of advertisements I've seen

IMG_8810.jpg

Nice colors

IMG_8838.jpg

More Vball

IMG_8865.jpg

Caption worthy

IMG_8890.jpg

Fun with the strobe on the beach. There was method to my madness, but I don't want to explain it

IMG_8897.jpg

Only one attempt made at "paper dolls". Didn't quite work

IMG_8903.jpg

Diving into his own shorts

IMG_8909.jpg

Got this on the third try

IMG_8964.jpg

Police boat on the right. There was a missing child being searched for by land sea and air.

That's all folks.

Hippy

Nov 29, 2006
i clicked the red x about halfway through that but they seem pretty nice.

Silent Nature

Life is grand.
Aug 29, 2005
Lake Wylie, South Carolina
Very nice photos, I'm impressed. I'm an amatuer so don't be shocked.

I really appreciate any great crystal clear shots. What camera did you have and specs along with it?

I'd like to buy one in the future when I want to upgrade my Sony Cybershot DSC H1 with 12x zoom.

19Godfather86

Jan 29, 2006
Some of the volleyball ones are really dope, and the strobe ones are a cool idea for sure. I think my favourite is the bird flying away, for some reason. Just has a really clear and cool composition for me. Definitely some good memories, and much better shots than your usual "vacation with friends with friends" photos.

TS
TS
CornUponCob

CornUponCob

Oct 3, 2001
Silent Nature said:
Very nice photos, I'm impressed. I'm an amatuer so don't be shocked.

I really appreciate any great crystal clear shots. What camera did you have and specs along with it?

I'd like to buy one in the future when I want to upgrade my Sony Cybershot DSC H1 with 12x zoom.

30D with Tamron 17-50. The front of the lens actually recently broke. The front piece of plastic is actually taped to the barrel (hard to describe, I'll post pictures of it sometime in the future).

Tele shots were with the Sigma 100-300 f4.

I took a few shots with the 50 1.8 and Tamron 28-75 (yes, I own both Tamrons, I plan on going 1.3 or ff in the future and I love my 28-75).

Flash was a 580ex. I made myself a fancy diffuser out of foam from Wal Mart, but never used it. Flash was camera mounted at all times, so technically the fill isn't always comming from the "best" angle, but you can hardly tell.

90% of the shots I took outside were with fillflash, even this one.

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg243h/SpringBreakLarge/IMG_8656.jpg

It just helps fill in those dark shadows so much.

dano

Aug 28, 2006
Far enough outside Detroit
CornUponCob said:
90% of the shots I took outside were with fillflash, even this one.

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg243h/SpringBreakLarge/IMG_8656.jpg

It just helps fill in those dark shadows so much.

That one looks good with the flash, but for example...

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg243h/SpringBreakLarge/IMG_8755.jpg

I think the flash is a bit much in that one.

Not knocking you at all, I'm loving most of those shots. I just can't ignore what appears to be too much reflection off the subjects.

TS
TS
CornUponCob

CornUponCob

Oct 3, 2001
dano said:
That one looks good with the flash, but for example...

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg243h/SpringBreakLarge/IMG_8755.jpg

I think the flash is a bit much in that one.

Not knocking you at all, I'm loving most of those shots. I just can't ignore what appears to be too much reflection off the subjects.

I'd agree, there's too much flash there. Shooting wide (17mm on crop) doesn't give you a large workable flash range. Only 5 feet or so starting about 5 feet away from the camera. The girl on the right in that picture was only 2 or 3 feet away.

If I ever get not lazy enough to edit any of these I'd bring those brights down a little.

tek

Dec 11, 2004
goodness i'd be scared to shoot in water even with an underwater camera bag:ugh2:

SkyAce2004

Mar 1, 2005
Florida
very nice pictures, I love the colors. Im going to Key West later in April for Spring Break. Would you mind giving me some pointers? Ive got a Nikon D40 with a SB400 speedlight, the kit 18-55mm lense and a 1.8 50mm lense with UV and Circular Polarizing filters. I would LOVE to come back with shots like these.

e.pie

Dec 3, 2004
KFLY
those bird ones are badass :cool:

I really want to get a flash, what are some good entry level ones since I won't be using it too often

TS
TS
CornUponCob

CornUponCob

Oct 3, 2001
mystix said:
whoa, i never seen the "dive in shorts" picture before.

How'd you do that?

The 580ex has a strobascopic (sp?) setting. The total exposure was 6 or 8 seconds with the flash firing at around 1/4 power every second for somewhere between 6 and 8 flashes. You can have the flash fire up to 200 Hz (200 flashes per second) but the fastest I've ever really "needed" to use it was about 10 Hz. The thing that makes these pictures "good" is finding the darkest background possible, and have your subjects wear reflective objects. If the background is dark enough subject will appear fairly solid against the background. Anywhere the background is brighter, it will show through their bodies making them transparent.

I would think a studo would be the best conditions to take these kinds of pictures.

TS
TS
CornUponCob

CornUponCob

Oct 3, 2001
Derrict said:
IMG_8760.jpg

Girl in green - she play tennis, too? Her left arm is much larger than the right.

Not that I'm aware of. Probably just distortion at the edges of the frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448