ART Pictures from Japan! - heebdawg me with a vicious C&C

Divided Sky

Sep 24, 2002
USA
i moved to japan two weeks ago and here's my first roll. its the time of year when the cherry blossoms are out and theres a lot of beauty around. unfortunately i feel like my shots are obvious and i cant figure out how to get them to really stand out

first off, heres my new purchase. bought this for $228 here in japan (and its in KEH "like new" condition!) look how sexy this beast is. basically ill never have to buy another camera again. i know the f5 and f6 are newer and superior, and the f6 can use g lenses i think, but i prefer the f4. i prefer the dials and the manual controls, its part of the whole experience for me. i can even manually rewind the film!

1rpni.jpg

my gf under some gorgeous tree. i think this is the best of the roll. missed the focus i bit.

JyKFF.jpg

some really stunning tree. anyone know what kind it is?

q8geC.jpg

derelict house. and believe it or not people are living in there. i have no idea how this thing survived the quake. heavy pp, but i was going for a surreal look.

CoR2l.jpg

looking up at the cherry blossom from under the tree. ive never gotten this effect of getting my aperture blades to show up, im pretty happy with how the exposure turned out. really hard to get it right with film when you point the camera straight at the sun.

4F99H.jpg

There is so much beauty here but its hard to capture it. this picture (and many more of shrines and temples i havent posted here) is missing something. compositionally, maybe something more prominently in the fore? dont know but it smells mediocre.

qWRwq.jpg

again, beautiful in person. a row of cherry blossoms lining the bike path next to a stream. i just couldnt get it to shine with my camera. how do i capture it?

esdOQ.jpg

again, beautiful subjects, but execution could be so much better. how?

2vz2R.jpg

i had an idea for this but it didnt really come out. i think maybe the depth of field was too thin. i was going for the warm rolling field of grass thing

MKUAU.jpg

thanks for your input! also pp advice would be appreciated for any of these pics, not only the derelict house

Last edited:

Idyfohu

Oct 29, 2003
Utah
Great stuff...what prompted the move to Japan? And big ups to your gf for making the move with you as well (assuming she's permanent out there). How are you liking it thus far?

Sorry, not trying to derail from the pics, but that's a big move!

TS
TS
Divided Sky

Divided Sky

Sep 24, 2002
USA
Great stuff...what prompted the move to Japan? And big ups to your gf for making the move with you as well (assuming she's permanent out there). How are you liking it thus far?

Sorry, not trying to derail from the pics, but that's a big move!
ive lived abroad here and there for quite a whiles now and so has she. we met a year and a half ago teaching english in thailand and we decided to come to japan. we wanted to come here just out of a general desire - neither of us has been here, we both love japanese food, both practice buddhism. big reason why we left thailand for japan was to save money for graduate school in 1-2 years. loving it so far, ive been here for just 2 weeks. good food, nice people, the earthquakes weve been getting literally 4 times a day (mostly lil tremors) keeps things interesting. only thing missing is a cohesive big community of expats. in thailand we had 30+ people in our social group, all hard partiers. here people are sparse and the foreigners that are here are those strange japanophiles. the ones ive met have been awkward...... but i havent been out to the bars and clubs here yet, hopefully ill meet some cool (english-speaking) people around.

mrtwo

Jul 19, 2005
わいは
nice. go hanami somewhere in the inaka or city.... naka meguro or kichijoji i recommend... before all the sakura blows away

Goontz

Feb 8, 2011
Texas
First thought in my head was expecting Tsunami devastation pictures. I am not disappoint. Awesome shots.

TS
TS
Divided Sky

Divided Sky

Sep 24, 2002
USA
nice. go hanami somewhere in the inaka or city.... naka meguro or kichijoji i recommend... before all the sakura blows away

no time to go to tokyo in the next two weeks unfortunately, we'll have to stick with local parks. where in japan do you live?

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
PS You're way too critical

Apart from the odd focus issue, they're all great. The grass one is perfect - I wouldn't change it at all

Pikel

May 25, 2003
PNW
ive lived abroad here and there for quite a whiles now and so has she. we met a year and a half ago teaching english in thailand and we decided to come to japan. we wanted to come here just out of a general desire - neither of us has been here, we both love japanese food, both practice buddhism. big reason why we left thailand for japan was to save money for graduate school in 1-2 years. loving it so far, ive been here for just 2 weeks. good food, nice people, the earthquakes weve been getting literally 4 times a day (mostly lil tremors) keeps things interesting. only thing missing is a cohesive big community of expats. in thailand we had 30+ people in our social group, all hard partiers. here people are sparse and the foreigners that are here are those strange japanophiles. the ones ive met have been awkward...... but i havent been out to the bars and clubs here yet, hopefully ill meet some cool (english-speaking) people around.
In Korea we have the weird yellow fever foreigners, but they are outnumbered by the alcoholic partiers for sure.

TS
TS
Divided Sky

Divided Sky

Sep 24, 2002
USA
PS You're way too critical

Apart from the odd focus issue, they're all great. The grass one is perfect - I wouldn't change it at all
thanks!

In Korea we have the weird yellow fever foreigners, but they are outnumbered by the alcoholic partiers for sure.
damnit. oh well, maybe not having many friends will let me give my liver a break

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan