A&P Pictures in the Operating Room

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Rotate, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Rotate

Rotate New Member

Taking pictures in the Operating Room was amazing. Today they were doing a heart bypass.

Here are a few, directly from the camera. I'll try and edit these and a few more a little better tomorrow. The lighting was extremely hard to deal with. For half of the procedure, all the lights were off. The next half the whole place was super bright, but the overhead lights the doctors used totally washed out the patient, so I had to opt for spot metering the patient and letting the surrounding area darken.

What do you all think? These aren't amazing quality wise, but I was just trying to capture the feel of the place.

Me suited up:
    [​IMG]
    My first sight of a beating human heart:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. natelam

natelam New Member

Neat =) Are you a med student? In that last pic, the patient's legs look like plastic. If there's a tip I could give you it would be to be more conservative with your exposure. Hot lights in the OR can overexpose very easily especially since you are shooting in quite an extreme area of dark/light. I can never get it perfectly either, but if you are careful with your metering and use your AE-Lock correctly, you can make great improvements.

I shoot entirely different kinds of operations...but still fun!

[​IMG]

3. Rotate

Rotate New Member

I'm glad you liked them. I'm not a med student...just a lucky break with asking.

They covered the patient in this sticky plastic stuff (like sticky saran wrap) to keep down infection. It was strange.

I'll use that advice if I get the chance to shoot in there again. I wasn't really into the actual procedure, but more into the atmosphere of the OR. How would you suggest finding a "middle ground" for wide angle stuff?

4. natelam

natelam New Member

Typically, the OR is low lit, except for hot and spot lights. If you are shooting wide angle, bracket your exposures in increments of .3 or .7. If your shutter speeds are going to be too slow for effective bracketing, then underexpose a stop from what you meter to save the highlights, and cross your fingers that you can fix it later. Use Center-Weighted Average Metering if shadows are covering greater than 50% of the image, and Matrix metering otherwise. For most exposures where the hotlights are illuminating the patient, zoom in on the lit area, lock your exposure, back up and shoot your wide shot, don't forget to bracket.

When postprocessing later, combine the bracketed images and mask out the best parts of each, adjusting as needed for other qualities. This will give you the best combination of exposure, contrast, color, and minimize degredation in the final image.

It's really a lot tougher to shoot in OR's that most people think. The lighting is wierd, and the newer surgical lights change color balance slightly depending on what angle you are shooting from because of their multi-chromatic reflective surfaces. Also, usually they turn the overhead lights off, but if they leave the flourescents on, sometimes you have to use a little flash with a green gel to keep the color balance of the background correct. Good luck, keep posting!

5. natelam

natelam New Member

Ah wierd, must be some kind of sterile biofilm. We can't really use that since all our patients have fur, feathers, or scales. Wouldn't stick too well :squint:

6. Rotate

Rotate New Member

Awesome advice. Thanks a lot.

Lets see some more of your pictures.

7. natelam

natelam New Member

2 more from that surgery. I don't have anything else online from the OR, if I get a chance this weekend I'll move some over from the archives.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really interesting one, squamous cell carcinoma, unilateral amputation since it was right along the wing vein.

8. EE CUMMINGS

EE CUMMINGS aka RobHuang

wtf is that?

9. natelam

natelam New Member

Cancer, the worst kind. Luckily, operable. Bird is doing fine, one less wing, but alive.

10. MrGone

MrGone New Member

I'm such a panzy, I knew I shouldn't have clicked uugghhghhghhgh

:hs: