ART Pix from my trip thru europe.... Or fuck i'm frustrated with my photography.

Yossarian

OT Supporter
Jan 3, 2005
Europa
Hi, first off I don't want to critique your photos because I don't feel I know enough about the technicals of photography to do that. What I will say though is that maybe you could be more selective about which photos to put on flickr, there were a number of them which I liked but maybe just as many which just felt unnecessary and/or bland - there wasn't any apparent grouping and I didn't know what I was looking at half the time. Secondly don't underestimate the weather, you were unfortunate enough to be taking photos in grey and cloudy weather so don't beat yourself up too much about it.

Don't be discouraged though, some decent weather and everything would have been different.

Idyfohu

Oct 29, 2003
Utah
"I AM BANKSY!"

Anyway, the shots look really good...some definitely jumped out on me. What were you expecting (I mean this in a non-asshole way)?

TS
TS

dmora

Hi, first off I don't want to critique your photos because I don't feel I know enough about the technicals of photography to do that. What I will say though is that maybe you could be more selective about which photos to put on flickr, there were a number of them which I liked but maybe just as many which just felt unnecessary and/or bland - there wasn't any apparent grouping and I didn't know what I was looking at half the time. Secondly don't underestimate the weather, you were unfortunate enough to be taking photos in grey and cloudy weather so don't beat yourself up too much about it.

Don't be discouraged though, some decent weather and everything would have been different.
yea... i've always had trouble trimming down photo batches. :o All the photos have some sense of significance to me in that i found them interesting for some reason.

TS
TS

dmora

"I AM BANKSY!"

Anyway, the shots look really good...some definitely jumped out on me. What were you expecting (I mean this in a non-asshole way)?

I wasnt expecting anything. I was just frustrated because i feel i can do better if i wasnt so distracted.

Also i think i took a crap ton more photos with my film camera than i did digital. :eek3:

Which i need to process. :hsd: That will be like a week in the dark room i guess. :wtc: :420:

Idyfohu

Oct 29, 2003
Utah
I wasnt expecting anything. I was just frustrated because i feel i can do better if i wasnt so distracted.

Also i think i took a crap ton more photos with my film camera than i did digital. :eek3:

Which i need to process. :hsd: That will be like a week in the dark room i guess. :wtc: :420:

Whereabouts in Europe did you travel and how long? Looks like mostly Germany from GPS data on Flickr right? To me, unless you do it for a living or you get to travel a ton, it'd be easy to get caught up in the history and just enjoying the trip and let you guard down and not completely focus on having amazing shot after shot. If you were going to Europe specifically to take amazing photos, I'm sure you would've accomplished that as cheesy as that may sound...post dem film shots, I wanna see.

TS
TS

dmora

Whereabouts in Europe did you travel and how long? Looks like mostly Germany from GPS data on Flickr right? To me, unless you do it for a living or you get to travel a ton, it'd be easy to get caught up in the history and just enjoying the trip and let you guard down and not completely focus on having amazing shot after shot. If you were going to Europe specifically to take amazing photos, I'm sure you would've accomplished that as cheesy as that may sound...post dem film shots, I wanna see.

It was Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam, Brussels/Brugge. :o In 10 days. :run:
So yea i was focused on sight seeing and not catching a mood or a vision. :sad2: Which i feel if you want to be a photog, you better be able to do at any moment... Hence my frustration. Like Henri Cartier-Bresson describes in "The Decisive Moment".

I just got back to the US on Sunday. Havent had a chance to get into the dark room to take the film out and develop and see what came out. I might do that today.

FlashhslaF

Sep 17, 2003
These are not bad at all, there are definitely some strong images in there.. I think you are being a bit harsh on yourself or you are going through what everyone else goes through from time to thinking their work is shit. Welcome to the club! :)

The OTAP user you were thinking of is mrtwo i believe. one

TS
TS

dmora

Berlin's art community is fucking ABSURD.... Like in an awesome way. Most of the graffiti is government sponsored. :eek4: Mostly, the ones that are massive, like top to bottom on sides of buildings. Its also protected, even the shit stuff like the clown faces, etc. That alley way is famous for its graffiti.

Tomash

OT Supporter
Aug 31, 2003
Houston, TX
Taking pictures that "grab" you is accomplished with more than time. If you can't taker a good picture (that doesn't require setting up a tripod and/or long exposure) in one minute you likely won't take one in 10 minutes either.
:dunno:

Wobistdu

how did you like prague? the first few took me back :wtc:

love prague

anyway those pics look fine. just learn some lightroom techniques to make them pop. the 1st one of the castle would benefit highly from some PP and a GND in LR to darken the sky

TS
TS

dmora

how did you like prague? the first few took me back :wtc:

love prague

anyway those pics look fine. just learn some lightroom techniques to make them pop. the 1st one of the castle would benefit highly from some PP and a GND in LR to darken the sky

I did all that. :o

Prague was epic. It was like walking around in a fairy tale.

TS
TS

dmora

Taking pictures that "grab" you is accomplished with more than time. If you can't taker a good picture (that doesn't require setting up a tripod and/or long exposure) in one minute you likely won't take one in 10 minutes either.
:dunno:

Subtle burn?

My point was that i wasn't focused on taking photos.

Wobistdu

I did all that. :o

Prague was epic. It was like walking around in a fairy tale.

well like the first one. i'd crop the right in enough to kill the tree while bringing it up from the bottom to lessen the amount of water

then i'd do a graduated filter to underexpose the bright ass sky

then pop a bit with vibrance and blacks

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmora/sets/72157626333188492/

:sad2: I think it was because i was rushed having to travel to so many places in so little time and also having my sister and her friend in tow... None of the photos really "grab" me like our OTAP friend's pix from Japan who's name escapes me atm. :wtc: Just flat documentation/encyclopedia photos.

All the photos that mrtwo posts are post-processed a LOT

They're nicely composed to start with of course, but the majority are split-toned, vignetted presumably have added grain etc too

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan