CREW PNW crew thread

majesty

OT Supporter
Jun 6, 2003
🌍
that sucks, 2 ton seems fine for 1k.

Our is about 10 years old so it probably needs a recharge. did a coil clean on evap and cond last week in anticipation of this heat wave/

Smart on your part.

I’m thinking it’s probably because we have an old ass house and air is leaking in from somewhere. I checked all the windows and didn’t catch anything though.

Reactions: Francis96se

CPTMULLER

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
Smart on your part.

I’m thinking it’s probably because we have an old ass house and air is leaking in from somewhere. I checked all the windows and didn’t catch anything though.
I wonder if you could rent a thermal camera/flir thing, that would be pretty ideal for tracking down the inefficiencies in your house. You could just use a cheap infrared thermometer but it'd take an eternity unless you have an obvious issue

Reactions: majesty

ObeyTheNoodle

Russian Warship, Go Fuck Yourself
Aug 3, 2001
Seattle
I wonder if you could rent a thermal camera/flir thing, that would be pretty ideal for tracking down the inefficiencies in your house. You could just use a cheap infrared thermometer but it'd take an eternity unless you have an obvious issue

Like this!

turbo35

haters gonna hate
May 8, 2001
Seattle-ish, WA
Real estate prices are fucking insane, this is like a block from me :wtf:

CPTMULLER

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
if my partner would let me we'd be living in a garage in the middle of nowhere, every day we don't buy a house the stuff we want is another $500 more expensive it feels like :hs:

• Angry
Reactions: turbo35

turbo35

haters gonna hate
May 8, 2001
Seattle-ish, WA
@turbo35 We bought our place for 254k, 2 years ago. A Smaller house half a mile away with a new 7 to 1 development in his backyard just sold for 420k, and neighbor sold his off market for 395k,
and he bought it 31 years ago for 68k.
We were lucky to get in 5 years ago. I can't imagine the cost and debt load it would take to buy in at this point. :ugh:

Reactions: jgon842

TheStryder

OT Supporter
Nov 13, 2007
We were lucky to get in 5 years ago. I can't imagine the cost and debt load it would take to buy in at this point. :ugh:

Oh you can’t but I can lol. I had a sobering conversation with a realtor just yesterday. It’s a blessing not competing with 20-30 offers, just 6-9.

turbo35

haters gonna hate
May 8, 2001
Seattle-ish, WA
Oh you can’t but I can lol. I had a sobering conversation with a realtor just yesterday. It’s a blessing not competing with 20-30 offers, just 6-9.
We had to go 70k over ask and actually got beat out by 7k but they took our offer. I want to say a dozen or so others in the bidding. I only assume it's gotten worse.

• Wow
Reactions: CPTMULLER

TheStryder

OT Supporter
Nov 13, 2007
We had to go 70k over ask and actually got beat out by 7k but they took our offer. I want to say a dozen or so others in the bidding. I only assume it's gotten worse.

My estimation for right now is 10% over asking minimum, and be prepared to go in with a loan commitment and not just a pre-approval. I think we gotta go as far out as Bothell/Mill Creek area for anything good value. My wife and I looked at 4 houses last weekend and no one bothers with renovations before selling. The flip side is you know how poorly it was lived in and you get a feel for renovation costs.

turbo35

haters gonna hate
May 8, 2001
Seattle-ish, WA
My estimation for right now is 10% over asking minimum, and be prepared to go in with a loan commitment and not just a pre-approval. I think we gotta go as far out as Bothell/Mill Creek area for anything good value. My wife and I looked at 4 houses last weekend and no one bothers with renovations before selling. The flip side is you know how poorly it was lived in and you get a feel for renovation costs.
We were closer to 20%, loan commitment, saw it Friday when it listed, had an inspector come out sat morning before the open house because we knew they wouldn't accept any contingencies. Offers reviewed and accepted Tuesday. What a shitshow, but after seeing 34 other houses we knew we wanted this one and did what it took to make it happen.

Tbh I saw so many places with the dumbest "upgrades" and half assed shit, I'd rather something original and do what I want.

TheStryder

OT Supporter
Nov 13, 2007
We were closer to 20%, loan commitment, saw it Friday when it listed, had an inspector come out sat morning before the open house because we knew they wouldn't accept any contingencies. Offers reviewed and accepted Tuesday. What a shitshow, but after seeing 34 other houses we knew we wanted this one and did what it took to make it happen.

Tbh I saw so many places with the dumbest "upgrades" and half assed shit, I'd rather something original and do what I want.
One unit I saw had an AC upgrade in the bedroom that looked like it was going to fall out and smoke someone in the head. Another house had an awesome idea to build an office into the garage that locked from the outside. Real dumb “value adds”.

Previously rented houses are a red flag for me too. You know renters aren’t going to care.

jgon842

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Tumwater, WA
One unit I saw had an AC upgrade in the bedroom that looked like it was going to fall out and smoke someone in the head. Another house had an awesome idea to build an office into the garage that locked from the outside. Real dumb “value adds”.

Previously rented houses are a red flag for me too. You know renters aren’t going to care.

We were renting this house, but told the landlord a year in advance we would be looking at buying, and asked if he was interested in selling this one, he said no. So about 6 months later we put an offer in on a house in Centralia, but after inspection dropped the offer, and told the landlord we will be staying for at least 6-9 more months, 2 hours later he asked if we still wanted to buy the house. He wanted 260, I said I was closer to 250, so 254 it was. Gave me the deposit back, I put a new roof on before inspection and appraised at 265. All in all it was probably the best of luck for us.

Reactions: chornelium

jgon842

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Tumwater, WA
This is a family members place, spent a few 4th of July bbq here.

TheStryder

OT Supporter
Nov 13, 2007
This is a family members place, spent a few 4th of July bbq here.

I don’t believe Zillow if they say 43 minute rush hour commute, but the price is right and ithis move in ready:

jgon842

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Tumwater, WA
I don’t believe Zillow if they say 43 minute rush hour commute, but the price is right and ithis move in ready:

Rush hour commute set for when the train gets up there

majesty

OT Supporter
Jun 6, 2003
🌍
anything with 2br, 2 shitters, and a two car garage goes for no less than 400 here, and that's not in a cool area like your house.... that's just "in Portland" to someone who has never been here :hs:

PDX is still mad cheap though. We bought right prior to the COVID pricing madness and in our previous city a comparable house is 150k more.

majesty

OT Supporter
Jun 6, 2003
🌍
I mean yeah I moved here from the Bay Area, it's relatively less expensive. But mad cheap seems like a silly claim.

That’s fair. We’re from Miami, so sorta similar to Bay Area prices where we used to live.

Definitely exaggerated a bit on my part. It’s cheaper but of course doesn’t compare to the flyover states.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anthony 74